I added MoS2 to MT fluid - how about rear diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put some MoS2 suspension into my Mitsubishi 5 speed gearbox in my Colt, and so far so good. What if I put some into the rear axle differential of my Dakota truck, would it help cut down on friction?
Good or bad?

what product did you use - Moly slip G - for gear boxes-

I used this product in the past with good results.

I would not add this to a limited slip dif ? Otherwise - go for it.

That moly may help a few things in the trans, but seems backwards for synchros and shifting.
It will make them slip.
Easy driving and slow shifts may mask it, but I see problems with moly in a manual trans.

Ever notice how nobody puts moly in manual trans fluid from the factory?

Originally Posted By: scoobie
I put some MoS2 suspension into my Mitsubishi 5 speed gearbox in my Colt, and so far so good. What if I put some into the rear axle differential of my Dakota truck, would it help cut down on friction?
Good or bad?

Didn't you have a problem with that stuff in an engine? I would search and see what effect if any it will have on the syncros, my understanding is it's not good for them.

It clogged up my oil filter so I had to find another use for it, since I bought several cans. shifting seems ok, so probably i haven't ruined anything there yet. I shift quite smartly - sometimes it doesn't seem to want to downshift to 3rd, but usually it does all of the downshifts nicely, but I do delay it quite a bit if I want to go down to first.

I just assumed the manufacturer doesn't like MoS2 because it's black, and the consumer doesn't like to see black oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Didn't you have a problem with that stuff in an engine? I would search and see what effect if any it will have on the syncros, my understanding is it's not good for them.

He's not going to be happy until

A) He breaks something

B) He uses it all up

Originally Posted By: scoobie
It clogged up my oil filter so I had to find another use for it, since I bought several cans. shifting seems ok, so probably i haven't ruined anything there yet. I shift quite smartly - sometimes it doesn't seem to want to downshift to 3rd, but usually it does all of the downshifts nicely, but I do delay it quite a bit if I want to go down to first.

I just assumed the manufacturer doesn't like MoS2 because it's black, and the consumer doesn't like to see black oil.

I'd get it out of the tranny, run something cheap (mfg approved) thru it to get all that junk out. Then add what the mfg suggests before you ruin the gear box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back