I-15 on a Saturday. (worthless rant post)

So we loaded up the Carnival to travel to the fabled Apple store, about 30 miles away. (Had to buy the wife that new purple iphone 12 mini of course)

This freeway has 70-75 MPH limits. So people interpret that as Hey lets go 60. or Hey lets go 99mph. We also have a double lined HOV/carpool lane that your not supposed to cross. Guess what people did several times.

These are not high performance cars speeding. Its a CUV flying by a lifted HD truck. One guy was ripping past our 80 mph reasonable speed in a 100 series land cruiser.
I'm just thinking, can't we all just pick a speed and follow that? How about staying in ones lane? Perhaps not breaking laws on the double lines? How about not passing on the right at 100 mph with very little space for you to get back over?

/rant complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I once observed the same driver go 100MPH in the right lane of I95, then change lanes across 3 lanes of traffic to go the 65MPH speed limit in the left lane. That was in Virginia. They drive special here.

The wierd thing, this freeway seemed way more crazy today than the monday/tuesday i am usually on it.

99 mph is close to 75 mph.

Yes... And no.

Biggest cause of accidents on interstate highways... Speed differential.

People don't realize that even a 12 mph difference is significant. Watch a old school race at Darlington when cars are in the middle of a green flag pit stop run... Cars with 4 new cold fresh tires are way way way faster than those cars out there on. 50 or 60 lap worn and extremely hot tires. Difference in speed per lap was 12-16 mph faster. Lots of accidents happened at those times too.

I had a similar experience as dareo in my area about a month ago. People going way, way faster than me and I'm going fast enough to pass 65 percent of the vehicles on the interstate.

I was watching the rearr view mirror about the same amount as the the front.

It was more of a You're driving that fast in THAT?! more so than Your driving THAT fast?? Seriously junk vehicles not designed for high speeds at all. If this was a german auto bahn with people running proper sports tires and paying attention that would be fine.

So we loaded up the Carnival to travel to the fabled Apple store, about 30 miles away. (Had to buy the wife that new purple iphone 12 mini of course)

This freeway has 70-75 MPH limits. So people interpret that as Hey lets go 60. or Hey lets go 99mph. We also have a double lined HOV/carpool lane that your not supposed to cross. Guess what people did several times.

These are not high performance cars speeding. Its a CUV flying by a lifted HD truck. One guy was ripping past our 80 mph reasonable speed in a 100 series land cruiser.
I'm just thinking, can't we all just pick a speed and follow that? How about staying in ones lane? Perhaps not breaking laws on the double lines? How about not passing on the right at 100 mph with very little space for you to get back over?

/rant complete.
Which part of I15?

I've never really minded the traffic from about Layton through most of Salt Lake valley. Although the traffic seems to clip along mostly 8 - 12 over the speed limit, it flows very well. Slower traffic to the right and faster on the left, with a fair amount of respect for each other. Ogden to Layton doesn't flow quite as smooth, but it works.

It has always seemed to me that the worst drivers on I15 are in Utah Valley. People passing on both sides. Drivers in the left lane, but much slower than the flow. Others weaving across all lanes. And those driving 5 under in the HOV lane - because they can? Or using the HOV lane as a passing lane, cutting in and out on solid lines.

Several years ago there was a story on the evening news about correctly using the HOV lanes. They interviewed one of Utah's finest UHP officers. He shared an account of pulling over a young lady that was driving in the HOV lane with no passengers. When he pointed out that to drive in the HOV lane she needed at least one passenger. With all the sincerity that one could imagine, she explained that she was OK to be driving in the HOV lane - because she was pregnant. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

From Provo to Midvale area. The lehi point of mountain area is usually the craziest.

This is how we roll in NJ. I was doing 100 in a rented Versa on I15 just keeping pace with traffic. Takes some time to get used to high speed driving. 80 is fast if you're not used to going fast. Of course fast is relative. 130 was the fastest I was comfortable with on the Autobahn.

I hate I95 from MD. To Florida which the worst issues being DC. And VA.
Crazy drivers.
95 from Baltimore to Richmond is one of the worst stretches of highway in the country. I don't even bother anymore. I just take US-301 and skip most of that mess whenever I'm headed north of MD. It's slower but I don't have to deal with 495.

95 south of Richmond really isn't that bad, but it's one hell of a boring drive to FL.

95 from Baltimore to Richmond is one of the worst stretches of highway in the country. I don't even bother anymore. I just take US-301 and skip most of that mess whenever I'm headed north of MD. It's slower but I don't have to deal with 495.

95 south of Richmond really isn't that bad, but it's one hell of a boring drive to FL.
Totally agree...!
95 295 495 695 895 Yikes...

It was more of a You're driving that fast in THAT?! more so than Your driving THAT fast?? Seriously junk vehicles not designed for high speeds at all. If this was a german auto bahn with people running proper sports tires and paying attention that would be fine.

You have to show some level of driving proficiency to get a License in Germany.

Here if you can fog a mirror you're good.

Let's be honest, if it were in ANY OTHER STATE, do you think the portion of I-95 between Prince William County and Fredericksburg would still only be 3 lanes in each direction? (It was last widened in 1985, and in typical Virginia fashion, I expect that the state paid very little of the cost and had the Feds pick up most of the tab...). And their "solution" to convert the express lanes (which were free for anyone to use outside of HOV hours) to a high occupancy toll has only jacked it up worse.

Let's be honest, if it were in ANY OTHER STATE, do you think the portion of I-95 between Prince William County and Fredericksburg would still only be 3 lanes in each direction? (It was last widened in 1985, and in typical Virginia fashion, I expect that the state paid very little of the cost and had the Feds pick up most of the tab...). And their "solution" to convert the express lanes (which were free for anyone to use outside of HOV hours) to a high occupancy toll has only jacked it up worse.

Fredericksburg to Prince William does desperately need a fourth lane. Center lane stays clogged with truck traffic, right lane has so much merge traffic it's unusable 75% of the time. There's a lot of 3-lane highway north of NYC too but in my experience it's rarely as much of a soul killing slog as Baltimore to Fredericksburg.

Back