Hyundai's Progress worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moribundman wrote:
Do Hyundais and Kias still get door and hood dings just from someone looking?

About as many times as Audi 5000's accelerate unintentionly lol....

BTW,the quotation marks are gone from next to the edit icon,what happened?

quote:

About as many times as Audi 5000's accelerate unintentionly lol....

BTW,the quotation marks are gone from next to the edit icon,what happened?

1.Because of unintentional acceleration it became law that all auto tranny cars must have a safety feature that requires the driver to push the brake pedal before being able to put the tranny into D. It wasn't an Audi problem, it was an incompetent driver problem.

2. Who needs tags?

quote:

Originally posted by UnDummy:
My only issue with HyunKia is that they seem to require a little more TLC and might be less forgiving to neglect. And, there is still an aftertaste from watching way too many Excels fall apart.

Exactly my sentiments, too. I've owned and cared for two 88 "Mitsubishi" Precises - bolt for bolt the same model year Hyundai Excell except for badging and upholstery weave and pattern), a '91 Sonata V6, a '94 Excell, and, now, an '03 Sonata V6. Their quality has steadily improved, but these are NOT cars that can slung around with abandon or ignored. In between my two Sonatas, was the best automobile I've ever owned - a '96 Accord LX I4. That faithful servant was bulletproof until I totaled it*. Finances being what they were at the time, I ended up back in my current Sonata. It's the best Hyundai I've ever owned, but, it's no Accord.

*Its front end was heavily damaged, but the GEICO adjuster assured me it could be fixed after discussing it with the body shop. Curiously the next day he called back and said they'd total it, instead. I accepted the payoff, but recently while trying to access a Honda TSB at Honda's website on an unrelated matter, my VIN (apparently used as a password) was rejected due to the car being in the hands of a subsequent owner who now has 87,000 miles on "my" car according toa pop-up dialog box (wrecked at 28,000 miles). **BUNG!** I'm now convinced the adjuster realized the engine and trannie were still practiacally new at 6 years and probably snapped it up and had it fixed for his kid! Live and learn.

The unintended acceleration in Audis were due to fautly ISC from BOSCH, the revs would go up significantly thereby causing the uncontrolled acceleration.

Wrong to say that bad drivers caused it especially when they lost their lives.

The ISC issue was acknowledged by AUDI themselves in the subsequent federal court hearings.

quote:

Wrong to say that bad drivers caused it especially when they lost their lives.

It was incompetent drivers who were to used to a Ford brake pedal being two feet from the accelerator.

All the reports had people 'stepping on the brake as hard as possible'.

No street car anywhere generates enough power to overpower the cars brakes, especially from 0 MPH.

Funny how this never happened to Europeans.

Funny how this never happened to left foot brakers.

Funny how all the 'unintended' acceleration vanished when audi enthusiats were suddenly able to buy a great car for ten cents on the dollar.

Point is that most cases of unintended acceleration, the drivers panicked and before they could react and brake, the accident had already taken place, many investigations were done on this and Audi lost the case as well.

As for Euro Audis not doing this, bear in mind, most cars in Europe are sticks, not autos.

Other makes had similar problems. Audi was just better about being arrogant toward the public. They knew that if one stepped on the gas pdeal, thinking it was the brake pedal, that they were just stupid and why give any though to stupid people. If Audi would have faced the problem, head on, they might not have put themselves and Audi owners in the position of having cars that were worth nothing. Audi came within a heartbeat of doing a Fiat in the American market. Both cars were rattle traps that needed all the help they could get to sell their four wheel self propelled short circuits in the American market. Fiat bailed and Audi almost got bailed. You'd think that others would learn from this kind of stuff, but looking at sludged engines, I guess it's, hear we go again. The makers that will win this new battle are the ones that step up and face the problem. We might think it's the owners fault, and be right, but the problem has to be solved in favor of the (stupid) customer.

quote:

many investigations were done on this and Audi lost the case as well.

From searching the subject I find no such record, but only mention of a number of individual law suits and jury-based verdicts in favor of the car owners. I can't find anything about one particular case against Audi, especially one in which Audi admitted fault or fault to a specific part (The ICV, you meant, I guess?).

I am not aware of any car that cannot be held back when the driver steps on the brake. And the driver is supposed to be ON THE BRAKE when taking an auto out of P or N.

As for Audis in Europe being mostly stick, essentially 100% of taxis, and Audis are popular taxis, are auto (although generally diesel, which were not affected by unintentional acceleration anyway).

quote:

Point is that most cases of unintended acceleration, the drivers panicked and before they could react and brake, the accident had already taken place.

Completely incorrect. The vast majority of reports had the car wildly accelerating while the break was being applied as hard as possible. The vast majority of reports indicate the acceleration happened transitioning from park to drive.

And even if this wasn't the case, how is panicking and poor reaction not an indication of an incompetent driver?

quote:

many investigations were done on this and Audi lost the case as well.

Complete and utter Stierscheiße. If this were the case and any mechanical failure could have been shown as the culprit, the chances of a not having a HUGE class action lawsuit win against Audi and Bosch are zero. There is no such case.

Was Audi arrogant? Well, yeah, Audi ist vollkommen, just ask them.

Did idiots stomp on the accelerator instead of the gas? Absolutely.

[ November 18, 2005, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: BlueWorld ]

If I recall correctly, NHTSA investigations exonerated Audi of any product defects. Too bad the results were too late to save sales, which suffered for quite some time, causing Audi to consider pulling out of this market.

quote:

Did idiots stomp on the accelerator instead of the gas? Absolutely.

Yeah, you don't want to mix those *two* up
rolleyes.gif

Joel

Sorry: OFF TOPIC:

Blueworld:

"Stierscheisse"
smile.gif

I found it funny!

bist du deutsche oder was?

btw, JTK is correct: gas/accelerator...they are but one
smile.gif

the newer (98+) hyundais are essentially hondas. hyundai atutomotive hired a raft of senior honda engineers in 1994 and 1995 to design cars. the new kia/hyundai cars are essentially 5 year old honda designs. that is a good thing. i love my 95 acura integra. if only i could get a newer kia that drove like it and was as trouble free i would own one.

quote:

"Stierscheisse" [Smile]
I found it funny!

Since it's an idiomatic expression it should be "Kuhscheiße" -- although the meaning of Stierscheiße is also quite clear.
tongue.gif

That must be why Hyundai's 2.7L V6 seems very similar (in terms of HP and fuel consumption; think V6 power with V8 fuel consumption) to the one Honda offered 10 years ago.

lol.gif

Somehow this Hundai thread morphed into an Audi thread. I wonder which car the Uber-insecure Hundai owners would drive if they hit the lottery? Anyway, my mechanic/friend worked at and Audi dealership when the "incidents" supposedly happened. He was busy installing the shift-interlock for quite some time afterwards. Funny thing is, after the shift-interlock was installed, the "problems" disappeared. For the dull-witted, the accelerator or isv (not isc, duh) was not changed, but the shift interlock was added...what does that tell you?

I have a good old 5000S story: I had a BEATER 5000S wagon for fun and hauling, my 1st wagon. I drove over a tree stump that was slightly higher than the lower part of the bumper. The car was totally hung-up on the stump! It knocked the belts off, the bumper cover and went clear under the radiator support to the snub mount. It was a PITA to get the car flopped off the stump, but when I did (with a coupla jacks) I was able to pop the belts on, replace the bumper cover and drive it away in the same condition....with my bare hands. The funny thing is that that car was a 1984! Twenty-year-old plastic and it did not even crack or loose a tab after the abuse of me shifting forward and backward to get loose from the stump. A lil "sudden acceleration" would have been welcome.

In the 80's Audi dodged a bullet. Between the quality of their cars and the unintended acceleration problems they still survived. I went through all that with an 84 4000S Quattro. It took forever to sell that car in 89. It was worth nothing because of the runaway reputation, but I couldn't keep it running either, so it had to go. On top of all that the warranty was only two years/24k miles. At least Audi knew they would go out of business if their warranty matched the competition. The car was a great driver and you learned to appreciate those times when it actually got you where you were going. The all-wheel drive and the brakes were terrific. The dead batteries, failed alternators, cv-joint failures, failed water pumps, flakey electrics, bad sunroof, failed electric mirror and other problems made driving that Audi a real adventure, one that I won't ever repeat. When the new owner drove the car away, I noticed that my wife had pasted a small sticker on the bumper with the initials, 'AMF'. It means something like 'adios my friend', but not quite.

Umm, unintended acceleration was exclusive to the 5000 and automatics, not your manual 4000 quattro. As for the alternator, I just replaced the original alt in my 1986 Coupe GT (4000). Orig water pump, timing belt, radiator. No "electrical problems" and everything works, even the digi dash. It makes me wonder when people report all these supposed problems. Did you ever LUBRICATE the sunroof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back