Hyundai's new way to get sued

I can see it on the horizon. The new standard for tort law.
I just watched a Hyundai commercial, where they crowed about their new sensors that will detect motion in the car for a period of time after shutdown, and alert the driver. In other words, a nanny for those who tend to forget that their child is in the car with them.

Can you imagine the litigation spurred from the death of a child in one of these cars?

Legalities aside, I just can't even describe how I feel about the fact that this feature is even deemed necessary. But I guess lots of stuff on the news seems incredible these days. A toddler death due to being locked in a hot car is pretty near the top of the list of totally preventable, idiot-level goofs. The fact that we need an alarm to prevent it.....I can't describe how I feel about that.

Comment not necessary;

1621380927853.jpg

Back in my teens I left a can of barbesol in my car during August and it split at the seam and made a mess in the back cargo area. Since then I always double check to make sure I don't leave anything in my car, l cannotfathom leaving my kid or dog in a car alone under ANY circumstance. Yea it was a PITA when my kid was in a car seat getting her out of the GTO with one arm, but not nearly as bad as going to a funeral. People need to be resposible for their actions you never ever leave a child unattended ANYWHERE much less a car. If you can't handle that maybe think twice about having kids or getting a pet. There are absolutely no excuses for this, technology can help but its that mushy thing between your ears that is more important.
...RANT OVER...

The chevy equinox also says some along those lines. I'm not sure if its tripped by something or it just always says it since its not my car.

First of all-my Silverado today "braked" for me today because of a car in front of me who slowed down and was Turning right-and the computer thought I was going to hit them.

My Silverado has all the electronic crash avoidance.

As follows-
Front and Park rear assist
Lane Keep assist w/Lane Departure warning
Low speed Forward automatic braking
Forward collision Alert
Intellibeam Headlamps
Safety Alert Seat (it vibrates when any of the above become active)
Let's start a thread about GM now.

I know we have to have a daily BITOG "Bash Hyundai" thread on here....let's move on to "bash a dealer" or "thin vs. thick". Or maybe-Should I keep my Crown Vic?

Last edited:
If you're to read up on the tragedy of leaving babies in the back it's often due to a scheduling boo-boo.

Like dad takes the kid to daycare instead of mom because mom has a dentist appointment and has to do things slightly differently before parking at work.

New parents try to get to work and the rest of their life done on little sleep and are often frazzled. This requirement that car seats can't be in the passenger front is something I didn't have to deal with when I was a kid, so there's no generational knowledge.

I wouldn't rely on this tech, and someone would be a moron to do so, but I understand where it's coming from.

It's a standard calculation that's done all the time and I don't think Hyundai is the only one that is going to come out with this, eventually it might become law. It's basic math. Cost of the system overall vs the lives saved. Didn't really find an article that mentioned it, but that's how the math worked out for cameras when backing up so they don't drive over a child, tire pressure monitoring systems so you don't have a blowout and lose control on the highway, drowsiness detection systems, etc. Basic cost benefit analysis, maybe it ends up costing consumers a few million per life saved divided by the cost of the technology per car.

couple years ago, I heard what, to me was the best way to avoid leaving a kid in the back.
instead of the normal advice, that when you buckle junior up in their car seat, to put your purse, backpack, etc back there too.

That's good enough, but better:
some one suggested, after buckling them in, take off your left Shoe, and leave it back there near the Kiddo.

there's no way you're getting more than a couple steps away from the car without realizing you only have one shoe on.

also, you might clean your feet a better after having to clean up junior's puke from the shoe "fumes" a couple times.

see, Junior survives, and you improve your Hygiene, Win, Win!

The chevy equinox also says some along those lines. I'm not sure if its tripped by something or it just always says it since its not my car.

When you open the rear doors before starting the engine and then when you turn off the engine it will show the "look in back seat message."

Had that feature in a rental '19 Silverado. Thanks for reminding me my work boots are there.

So an automaker developed a way to help prevent the death of a child or animal forgotten in a hot car and this is somehow a negative?

Some of the smartest people I know are absent minded and distracted by the constant “blowing up” of electronic devices … they are in a hurry too because this stuff can waste more time than saved …

Something babies and dogs have in common? They sleep often but would wake up if getting very hot or cold

When you open the rear doors before starting the engine and then when you turn off the engine it will show the "look in back seat message."

Had that feature in a rental '19 Silverado. Thanks for reminding me my work boots are there.
I thought this was brilliant when I first read it years ago.
Use existing sensors (door open), add a little common sense code, and improve!
(As I notice my 16 Dodge will not remote start with trunk open (possible access?), but OK for passenger butt to be in seat.)

Back