Hyundail Sante Fe Drain Plug Gaskets

I didn't know which section to put this in so this section seemed most appropriate.

We have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe. I ran out of nylon drain plug gaskets. They are 14mm.

My question is, will the Honda aluminum 14mm drain plug gaskets work? I would think they would, but I am just asking.

You can get bags of the Honda ones on ebay for next to nothing.

Thanks.

When did Hyundai start using nylon drain plug gaskets? The dealership always supplied a 14mm aluminum gasket with the oil filter. When I used NAPA Gold filters, I just picked up a small pack of 14mm copper or aluminum gaskets.

Pretty much any 14mm copper/aluminum/coated metal washer will work if it fits.

The only thing to look out for is the width of the sealing surface. Some gaskets rings(inner-outer) are 14-18mm, others are 14-24mm, or anywhere in between. If it is similar enough in size, use it.

If you torque it on and it doesn't leak, good to go!

AFAIK Hyundai only uses the aluminum washers. The Honda one should theoretically work.

No, they will not. The ID of the hyundai drain plugs is significantly larger than the Honda drain plugs.

The 2019 Santa Fe uses a 14mm - 1.5 drain plug, same as the Hondas. I had been using those Dorman blue 14mm drain plug gaskets hat you get at Autozone, Advanced, O'Reilly, etc., and they worked. I just wanted to buy a bag of drain plug gaskets.

The 2019 Santa Fe uses a 14mm - 1.5 drain plug, same as the Hondas. I had been using those Dorman blue 14mm drain plug gaskets hat you get at Autozone, Advanced, O'Reilly, etc., and they worked. I just wanted to buy a bag of drain plug gaskets.
Honda:
1611949901488.jpg

Hyundai:
1611950028362.jpg

I stock both types and I do not interchange them.

Yes they are different, no one disputes that. However, people have been using the Honda washer on Hyundai vehicles for a long time. The Honda ones are more readily available at parts stores in bulk.

So yes, theoretically the Honda washer will work. I don’t recommend it though.

Michael - If you don't mind, what is the difference in inner diameters?
I serviced a friends Kia (I assume the drain plug is similar) and used a Honda warsher to fix the leaky plug.
Gotta be pretty close, right?
I too have fixed a leaky Hyundai plug with the Honda washer. The Honda washer is better at sealing imperfect surfaces.

14mm is 14mm as far as the inner diameter goes.

With all this being said, it looks like the Honda aluminum drain plug gasket will work. I was able to order a 100 pack off ebay for $8.62.

Back