Hyundai - WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. this is the second oil change on my wifes new Hyundai Sonata LX V6. I chagned the oil at 500 and again just now at 1200. I will be going to regular 3k changes now. Thing is i really never sat down and read the manual until now. I use (hold your breath) Valvoline 5x-30 in it. SO i read the manual and notice these V6 motors recomend a wide range of viscocities. It recommends any thing from 5w-30 to 20w-50! Also only needs to be API SG or SH cert'd. WOW. Of course I used Valvoline Durablend 5w-30 this time with a napa gold filter. Cute little filters. Anyways, just thought i'd let everyone know how amaized I am at the wide range of weights if anyone cares.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

That must be a Hyundai trademark, because my '95 Accent has the same wide ranges listed in the manual. Same as you, from 5w-30 to 20w-50, depending on outdoor temps. I believe the "preferred" weight is 10w-30, though. I've recently switched to 10w-40 on my Accent because of an oil consumption issue (it also has 100K miles), but after 1 dose of AutoRX, the consumption issue appears to be gone, so I may try 10w-30 again and see if the oil consumption comes back or not.

Same with my 01 Elantra, although if I remember right 5w30 should not exceed 100F. Normally I use 10w30 except for 5w30 for the cold weather change. Hyundai engines may be a little looser than other makes. I'm changing SuperTech dino at 4000 intervals. Put about 22K a year on it.

[ August 04, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

This goes back to the days when manufacturers trusted their customers with a concept like "using a different oil under different conditions."

Now, they merely give dumbed down advice like: "use 5W30 year round."

And they wonder why so many people are skeptical of the advice in their owners' manuals.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

I agree Bror. It is refreshing that they let us think for ourselfs. Not that I would not experiement with thicker vis anywyays but still. At least they think enough of there customers to say "Go ahead and try THIS if you notice things going on."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back