Hyundai to offer "ultra-luxury" car to compete....

I thought they already did its called the Genesis but I guess that means the begining! I love Hyundai and I bet they will be a super company in 10 years. I also have 2 Samsung TVs, refigerator, Washer and Dryer and all of those things are made in korea and are the best products I've ever owned I have the new led flatscreen and it looks like there is people in my livingroom its so sharp. Korea is going to take over the world.

Quote:
"crafted to rival Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and the world's most prestigious luxury automobiles."
What about Cadillac ?

Last edited by a moderator:
 Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
 Quote:
"crafted to rival Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and the world's most prestigious luxury automobiles."
What about Cadillac ?
He was talking World Class.

dkryan

QP, Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I missed that "lively" discussion. Then again, no I didn't; I read all three pages of the "is so," "is not," tirades.

Yeah, the discussion took a detour, as is sometimes the case on an internet forum. :) Nonetheless, interesting effort from Hyundai. I wish them all the best.

dkryan

I'm in agreement with a couple of suggestions on the July Equus post. Hyundai should form a separate "luxury" division and place the Equus and Genesis (and maybe their Genesis coupe) under that banner. $50K+ is tough cash to pay for the Hyundai brand until they prove themselves in the upscale market. And whether they do prove themselves or not, I really do not want to front $50K - $75K for an Audi A5/A6/A8, Caddy CTS, any kind of Bimmer, MB E350/450/550, or anything else that depreciates at the rate those cars depreciate. I love cars but everytime I'm in my garage looking at our daily drivers that we only use 8-10k miles per year, I think, "nah, too many other priorities for that kind of dough."

basically if there's money to be made, there will be competition for that market. The Korean products are stellar, I specifically look for Korean when I'm buying. For my money though, subaru impreza is about as good as it gets.

After the stellar experience I have had with my Santa Fe which is '06 and has just hit 200K KM (120K miles) and my mom's Kia Spectra which has a little over 100K KM (60K miles) I wouldn't think twice about buying another vehicle from them. I got my Santa Fe almost fully loaded, with the 2.7 Litre V6, A/C, power options, keyless entry, alarm etc. At the same time a stripped RAV-4 / CRV would have cost me and the Santa Fe is bigger. I was really happy I bought it and have had 0 trips to the dealer during the warranty period of 100K KM (60 K miles). Since then I have only had to replace the brakes once, 1 O2 sensor (which I think I damaged with road debris), Tune-up/Timing belt. That's it. It has been trouble free and beats Government Economy ratings. ;\)

If Samsung and LG can become premium brand, why not Hyundai? You have to hand it to LG though. Do you remember Goldstar junk? It was made by company called Lucky Goldstar. Guess what LG acronym stands for!! LG came blazing in the US appliance market with outrageous price tags on their white goods. I suspect, if they had priced them moderately, they would NOT have had the same success that they are enjoying today. Overnight LG became a premium brand in US. Rationality will suggest that in purchasing white goods, reliability and the prior record would be most paramount on customer's mind but apparently LG has proven that if you believe you are premium and price accordingly, US consumer will treat you like one. LG will be case studied by MBA wannabe for decades. I suspect some of the Chinese manufacturers like Hiar (sp?) will take lessons from LG. - Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Overnight LG became a premium brand in US.
I don't consider LG a premium brand, but that's just my opinion. Certainly not when it comes to consumer electronics. Home appliances... a big maybe. I'd consider Electrolux a premium home appliance brand.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
 Originally Posted By: Vikas
Overnight LG became a premium brand in US.
I don't consider LG a premium brand, but that's just my opinion. Certainly not when it comes to consumer electronics. Home appliances... a big maybe. I'd consider Electrolux a premium home appliance brand.
They've backed up their price tag with the sophistication of their products and the reliability. Just a high price tag does not make you a 'luxury product'.

Are we talking about LG here? Reliability can only come after some history. What history does LG have in US appliance market? LG appliances did not climb up the value chain as most other manufacturers have to do. They went straight for the luxury segment. - Vikas

Patman

Staff member
Hyundai really has come a long way! A few years ago I wasn't interested in a single thing they made, but now I find myself really liking that new Genesis coupe! It's a great looking car with a lot of good stuff in it for the money. Most people might find the price tag a bit high for a Hyundai but when you see the car on the road it looks like a much more expensive car anyhow. I bet 95% of the people who see it don't even realize it's a Hyundai and they think it's something a lot more expensive.