Hyundai styling

I personally think that Kia cars look much better across the board. I am really digging the Genesis models though.
Kia seems to be leading the way with styling these days. Their designs, to me, are bold without overdoing it— with some exceptions of course.

The new Carnival, Sorento, K5 (though I’m not terribly fond of the back end), and especially the Telluride come to mind.

Kia seems to be leading the way with styling these days. Their designs, to me, are bold without overdoing it— with some exceptions of course.

The new Carnival, Sorento, K5 (though I’m not terribly fond of the back end), and especially the Telluride come to mind.
YEs- all very good looking vehicles!

If memory serves, Chrysler got the whole "the grille is the bumper" craze started with the Sebring coupe, then Audi joined the party, adding led strips in the headlights, which gave everyone the green light to do both.

Hyundai just got theirs wrong, imo. The Sonata looks like a catfish that should be on lithium. But this is what they've always done, starting with the odd proportions of the 1st Elantra. I think they got the gen 5 Sonata right, and continued strong through gen 7, with the exception of that ridiculous chrome strip down the side of the hood, which looked like a cover-up for bad panel fitment to me. Then they returned to their quirky ways. It seems to work for them. I challenge you to swing a bag of rocks without hitting a Sonata.....or a Rav 4.

For me, if a sedan was in my future, it would be a Stinger. Kia's design language has always spoken to me. Very Audi-esque, as you'd expect since they poached their designer.

If memory serves, Chrysler got the whole "the grille is the bumper" craze started with the Sebring coupe, then Audi joined the party, adding led strips in the headlights, which gave everyone the green light to do both.

Hyundai just got theirs wrong, imo. The Sonata looks like a catfish that should be on lithium. But this is what they've always done, starting with the odd proportions of the 1st Elantra. I think they got the gen 5 Sonata right, and continued strong through gen 7, with the exception of that ridiculous chrome strip down the side of the hood, which looked like a cover-up for bad panel fitment to me. Then they returned to their quirky ways. It seems to work for them. I challenge you to swing a bag of rocks without hitting a Sonata.....or a Rav 4.

For me, if a sedan was in my future, it would be a Stinger. Kia's design language has always spoken to me. Very Audi-esque, as you'd expect since they poached their designer.
Nobody hardly mentions Toyota? Their humongous grilles take it a notch above everybody. They must have a freshman designer that saw the large grille trend and said WE MUST GO BIGGER. I don't mind a large grille area, so long as it's broken up with tastefully done trim that helps the body lines. The new RAV4 almost pulls it off. But to have the entire nose covered in a solid sheet of plastic grille, like the new Tundra? No thanks.

I have to remind myself that they're not designing new vehicles for people like me, but rather 50+ folks whose kids are long gone and can afford $40K+ on a new car. The average new car buyer is 53 years old. Once that new car is sold, they couldn't care less that I won't touch one with a ten foot pole a few years down the road on the used market.

Nobody hardly mentions Toyota? Their humongous grilles take it a notch above everybody.
Agreed. In regard to the Camry, it depends on which trim level you get. I don't know which is which here but the one on the bottom is definitely less offensive than the top. The top looks like a self-propelled cheese grater and would have to stay at the dealership. I guess I'm old and I'm a traditionalist. I will always prefer a bumper bar to separate the lower grill from the upper grill. Having the grill as the bumper has never set well with me. I hope someone comes up with a design language that puts an end to the grill wars soon.

Screenshot_20220403-195515-088.png
Screenshot_20220403-195439-787.png

Nobody hardly mentions Toyota? Their humongous grilles take it a notch above everybody. They must have a freshman designer that saw the large grille trend and said WE MUST GO BIGGER. I don't mind a large grille area, so long as it's broken up with tastefully done trim that helps the body lines. The new RAV4 almost pulls it off. But to have the entire nose covered in a solid sheet of plastic grille, like the new Tundra? No thanks.

I have to remind myself that they're not designing new vehicles for people like me, but rather 50+ folks whose kids are long gone and can afford $40K+ on a new car. The average new car buyer is 53 years old. Once that new car is sold, they couldn't care less that I won't touch one with a ten foot pole a few years down the road on the used market.
Absolutely hideous.

350.png

predator.png

Back