Hyundai sonata 2.4l burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just to recap change the pcv valve and use m1 high mileage 10W30, should i use high mileage Lucas oil stabilizer? Would that help?

Thanks for all the help guys

**There are reports of the Hyundai 2.4L GDI engines burning oil across different years (2011 - 17) ... Go to the Hyundai dealer and file a darn complaint and don't throw money away on something that may not even work ... It's a engine design flaw !!

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
**There are reports of the Hyundai 2.4L GDI engines burning oil across different years (2011 - 17) ... Go to the Hyundai dealer and file a darn complaint and don't throw money away on something that may not even work ... It's a engine design flaw !!

While this is 100% true, my 2.4l GDI started consuming oil, and it was just a stuck PCV valve. I'd change it before going to the dealer, as they are a simple and inexpensive change.

But if that doesn't work, go to the dealer.

Originally Posted by P7hk9

While this is 100% true, my 2.4l GDI started consuming oil, and it was just a stuck PCV valve. I'd change it before going to the dealer, as they are a simple and inexpensive change.

thanks will swap out the pcv valve

Originally Posted by Grambo
So just to recap change the pcv valve and use m1 high mileage 10W30, should i use high mileage Lucas oil stabilizer? Would that help?

Thanks for all the help guys

Good choice on the M1 HM (IN THAT GRADE). Don't waste money on ANY oil additives. They don't help and mess with the oil formulation.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by MParr
If you are the original owner and it's under 100,000 miles, take it to your KIA dealership. Have them check it out.

Hi MParr, he mentioned 129,XXX miles.

I'd definitely take it in and see what they will do for him. They have been known to provide a new engine free well past warranty though they don't have to. It's worth seeing what they'll do though. FYI those 2,4 mills tend to 💩the bed about 120+- K though there's no set rule. No cure either. Massive sudden oil burning is a typical symptom of what's to come. Just be advised that by company policy when you take it in they will automatically do all service recalls. One of them will install a knock sensor if it doesn't have it already. If it trips you go into limp mode .it will get you off the road to the dealer hopefully before the engine blows .
I wouldn't go changing to thick oils just now though. See if they'll help you first. You might sign up with the Hyundai forums. There's lots of information concerning the dreaded Theta issue. There's a couple Hyundai mechanics that seem to know their stuff too.

Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by MParr
If you are the original owner and it's under 100,000 miles, take it to your KIA dealership. Have them check it out.

Hi MParr, he mentioned 129,XXX miles.

I'd definitely take it in and see what they will do for him. They have been known to provide a new engine free well past warranty though they don't have to. It's worth seeing what they'll do though. FYI those 2,4 mills tend to 💩the bed about 120+- K though there's no set rule. No cure either. Massive sudden oil burning is a typical symptom of what's to come. Just be advised that by company policy when you take it in they will automatically do all service recalls. One of them will install a knock sensor if it doesn't have it already. If it trips you go into limp mode .it will get you off the road to the dealer hopefully before the engine blows .
I wouldn't go changing to thick oils just now though. See if they'll help you first. You might sign up with the Hyundai forums. There's lots of information concerning the dreaded Theta issue. There's a couple Hyundai mechanics that seem to know their stuff too.

Do you have to be the original owner for them to replace the engine? I am also having an onset of massive oil consumption on my 2.4 engine just over 100k. They put a new oil seal on last time but it is still losing oil somehow (no oil in driveway so it must be burning).

*I did not see you were over 100K miles and just started having the issue - other poster is right , check for a stuck PCV valve. and replace at that mileage . As an intermediate step you could try non - chlorine brake cleaner through both ends of the PCV valve to clean it up (probably a good practice every 30 K miles with a GDI engine any way) .
Originally Posted by P7hk9

My 2011 Kia Sportage 2.4, does not use a drop of oil in between changes. 138,000 miles with 5-7K synthetic oil changes of either 0w or 5w/20 - various brands. I am the original owner.

Originally Posted by Whammo
Driz said:
Do you have to be the original owner for them to replace the engine? I am also having an onset of massive oil consumption on my 2.4 engine just over 100k. They put a new oil seal on last time but it is still losing oil somehow (no oil in driveway so it must be burning).

No. Hyundai extended the engine warranty for the 2.4l Theta to 120,000 miles for all owners, and as has been pointed out previously, they have replaced engines that were significantly over the 120,000 mile make. The highest one I have heard of was 149,000 if memory serves. Probably depends on if the dealer is trash or not.

The warranty is 120k miles or 10 years whichever comes first.

My dealer puts 5w30 in my car without even asking. I use about half a quart in 3k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back