Hyundai recalls 883k Sonatas/detaching shift cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before anyone panics, I can fairly say that in the 4+ years that this generation Sonata has been in service, our dealership's service department has only seen one car with this issue.

My parents bought a new Optima last year, and the second day they had it they couldn't get it into park. I figured it was just a misadjusted shift cable from the factory but maybe there is more to it.

Just called and although i'm within the build-date range, my vehicle is not affected YET. Below is Hyundai's contact number for whom ever is interested. Have your VIN handy.

SUMMARY:
Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Sonata vehicles manufactured December 11, 2009, through May 29, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the transmission shift cable may detach from from the shift lever pin.

REMEDY:
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, repair the connection between the shift cable and shift lever, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's number for this recall is 123.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
Before anyone panics, I can fairly say that in the 4+ years that this generation Sonata has been in service, our dealership's service department has only seen one car with this issue.

Yeah, I think the recall is probably being pretty thorough as this doesn't seem to be a common thing happening all the time. More of a could happen situation and Hyundai doesn't wan't to join others on the bambalance chaser wall of shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back