Hyundai - oil recommendations from dealer

Hi all,

So, just took my wife’s, new to us, 2019 Hyundai Tucson in for a recall (knock sensor logic.). Apparently, they are now putting in 5W-30 in their cars for oil changes. Shifted from 5W-20. There is a bulletin from Hyundai saying “make it so.”

Interesting anyway.
Where is this bulletin they speak of.....nothing online for this,

Be careful with what they tell you. On my last 3 dealer services ("complimentary"), I specifically asked for 5w-30, and in one of the letters it is shown "customer requests 5w-30, but the part number they put on the paperwork comes out as 5w-20. I'll never know if that's what they actually put in there, or not.

When I got my 2014 Kias I ran 5w-20 and 5w-30 a couple of times (alternating), manuals point at 5w-20 for both. 5w-30 'felt' better while I used Penn Plat which is a 'thin' 5w-30. Since then I run 5w-30 in both while tried 0w-40 and 10w-30 as well.
IMHO, they realized people run longer OCIs and oil dilution and (later) thickening is aggravating the issues they had with US built engines.
So, 5w-30 is my go to oils with 4K miles OCIs.

Where is this bulletin they speak of.....nothing online for this,
This is an older version of the bulletin. Not 100% sure if they continued it or not, hence my earlier post.

Service Procedure:
1. Follow appropriate published service information for the routine maintenance inspection items
according to the normal maintenance service interval.
 Information is available through www.hyundaitechinfo.com from the online Owner’s
Manuals and the Quick Reference Guides
 Maintenance items beyond the standard engine oil and filter service would be subject to
customer pay.
2. Complete Service Campaign 953 (ENGINE MONITORING LOGIC PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT).
 Refer to all contents of TSB 19-01-002H-1 (or the most updated TSB for 953).
 Perform the Service Procedure for updating the ECM and Cluster.
 Follow Warranty Information to submit Campaign Claim for Service Campaign 953.
3. Replace the engine oil and filter.
 Replace the engine oil filter with a new genuine Hyundai engine oil filter.
 Be sure to replace the oil plug gasket with a new one when reinstalling the drain plug.
 Use Quaker State 5W-30 Engine Oil (whenever possible) during the refill.
 Refer to TSB 10-EM-001 for guidelines regarding optimum engine oil fill level.
4. Perform the required step below for all 2013-14MY Santa Fe Sport 2.0T/2.4L vehicles.
 Enable and set the Service Interval Reminder Feature using the steering wheel buttons.

Both my hyundai dealers pour 5w30 quaker state into everything without asking.

My book says you can use 5w20 and 5w30 and 10w30 for most applications. 2017 tuscon GDI 2.0L non turbo.

This is an older version of the bulletin. Not 100% sure if they continued it or not, hence my earlier post.

Service Procedure:
1. Follow appropriate published service information for the routine maintenance inspection items
according to the normal maintenance service interval.
 Information is available through www.hyundaitechinfo.com from the online Owner’s
Manuals and the Quick Reference Guides
 Maintenance items beyond the standard engine oil and filter service would be subject to
customer pay.
2. Complete Service Campaign 953 (ENGINE MONITORING LOGIC PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT).
 Refer to all contents of TSB 19-01-002H-1 (or the most updated TSB for 953).
 Perform the Service Procedure for updating the ECM and Cluster.
 Follow Warranty Information to submit Campaign Claim for Service Campaign 953.
3. Replace the engine oil and filter.
 Replace the engine oil filter with a new genuine Hyundai engine oil filter.
 Be sure to replace the oil plug gasket with a new one when reinstalling the drain plug.
 Use Quaker State 5W-30 Engine Oil (whenever possible) during the refill.
 Refer to TSB 10-EM-001 for guidelines regarding optimum engine oil fill level.
4. Perform the required step below for all 2013-14MY Santa Fe Sport 2.0T/2.4L vehicles.
 Enable and set the Service Interval Reminder Feature using the steering wheel buttons.
Vehicle was there for the engine monitoring logic improvement. Maybe that's why he told me about 5W-30, but he specifically said they are using it standard now.

*Less chance of making a mistake if you use 5W30 in a Hyundai non - turbo as well as turbo engines i.e. (less chance of using a 5W20 in a turbo designed for 5W30) .

I have used 5w30 and 10w30 in my 2.4. 10w30 seems quieter from a cold start. No need to deviate from 4-5k/6mo based on my UOA.

My 2010 2L turbo came with 5w20 in it. They quickly changed that to 5w30/40/50/60 depending on your climate.

My father's Kia forte calls for 5w20 or 30, even though it has the MPI and fuel dilution isn't an Issue the local Kia dealership uses 5w30 across the board for all vehicles. Service writer says its better for inventory and bulk buying. And full synthetic only if requested.

The day Toyota says we were wrong on 0w16 and 20 will be the day I'll believe heavier oil is better.

The day Toyota says we were wrong on 0w16 and 20 will be the day I'll believe heavier oil is better.
We still own two Hyundais, and believe me, Hyundai is no Toyota.

The reason why they recommend 5W-30 is because those engines were never designed for lower viscosity oils, to begin with, so they tend to grenade when you run 0/5W-20 in them. Hyundai has improved things once they introduced MPI/GDI dual fuel injection. I can run 0W-20 safely in our 2020 Sonata, but when I had a 2018 2.4L Santa Fe, that thing would only see 0W-40, because on thinner oils it had a habit of chewing up its own bearings due to fuel dilution and other issues.

Considering current prices and market trends, we will not be buying another Hyundai, ever. There is always some surprise with their cars. Knock on wood, I took extra care of all of them to avoid running into issues, but that extra care is slowly getting on my nerves. I'd rather worry about other things.

We still own two Hyundais, and believe me, Hyundai is no Toyota.

The reason why they recommend 5W-30 is because those engines were never designed for lower viscosity oils, to begin with, so they tend to grenade when you run 0/5W-20 in them. Hyundai has improved things once they introduced MPI/GDI dual fuel injection. I can run 0W-20 safely in our 2020 Sonata, but when I had a 2018 2.4L Santa Fe, that thing would only see 0W-40, because on thinner oils it had a habit of chewing up its own bearings due to fuel dilution and other issues.

Considering current prices and market trends, we will not be buying another Hyundai, ever. There is always some surprise with their cars. Knock on wood, I took extra care of all of them to avoid running into issues, but that extra care is slowly getting on my nerves. I'd rather worry about other things.
Have driven a 2017 Kia Optima back to back with 2020 Camry and the Kia felt much better made. It certainly handled, accelerated better than the Camry and was far more composed in general. The interior design and execution of the Optima was better.
Subjectively exterior was nicer looking than Camry.

The circa 2010 American made 2.4 gave them a bad rep.

Last edited:
Back