Hyundai OEM Filter Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping someone may be able to tell me if they have seen irregularly shaped stains in the INSIDE dome end of their filter? It was a new filter with a manufacturing date of 04,23,2011. I cut all of my OF's open after oil changes and I was almost sickened by the smell of fuel from the filter. The OCI was only 1k and the oil was black as coal. I am used to seeing at least an amber color as my oil is draining. The Scary thing was is that this was M1 EP 5w30 SN and it seemed beat to heck. The vehicle only has 4473mi. on it so it wasn't cleaning yet (I hope).

But, Really All I want to know is what could possibly cause the odd "stains" in the inside of a filter with only about 2k max on it? (I used the filter for two OCI's since I am trying to flush out the new engine). The stains did not come out with a quick wipedown with Purple Power degreaser. The leaf spring did not have stains. The OEM 35503 seems like a very well built filter. Pleats were absolutely perfect, so I don't know if it is fuel but it sure reeked. (2011 Sonata 2.4 GLS)

Thanks to all

Chubbs

Something is very wrong with your 2011 Sonata engine. You should keep good documents about changing oil, oil filter. If you still have the drained M1 EP 5w30 you should to have it analyzed and keep a copy of the report.

The new engine with only 4.5k miles and only 2k miles with a good synthetic oil should not even be dark amber, not talking about black as coal.

I know, I have documented two changes and I have a receipt that I purchased OEM filters. I am going to get an analysis done in exactly 3 months and I will just have to see what happens. Either way I will just get my vehicle serviced at the dealership to be safe from then on out.

Unfortunately I already took the oil to recycle it so I will keep a close eye on this fill.

Last edited:
Fuel dilution is a result of the direct injection process I fear. If you do only in-town driving then this may be the way it's going to be.

Personally I fear lubrication washdown from the cylinder walls which will definitely lead to premature and excessive upper cylinder bore wear. You could also have a leaking injector which is dribbling fuel into the cylinder and ultimately making its way into the sump all while taking the oil and carbon from the combustion chamber with it.

Do a pressure leakdown check on your fuel rail and see if the pressure is dropping over time. If it is then you need to isolate the faulty injector and get it replaced under warranty.

Check with your dealer to make sure that you have the latest software upgrades. I now on the accent DI engine there is an upgrade that made significant changes.

I think we are totally over reacting here. A teaspoon of gas in a gallon of oil sells over powering. My Turbo CX7 with DI always smells of fuel and the UOAs show only ~ 1/2% fuel and the wear metals are in the good range. Your engine is not broken in yet so there is more blow-by until the rings are fully seated which will happen in ~ 4-5,000 miles. I have no idea what stains inside the filter are due to but, very possibly from the filter manufacture. I see no problems here. Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back