Hyundai Now Has a Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
One problem with your statement...

Many of the Big Three have outsourced a good bit of their model production to Mexico (and in some cases Canada). Also, many of the foreign car companies (BMW, Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota) have a lot of their North American assembly done right here in the USA now. So now, you'll likely be facing a sticky dilemma... Whether to support Mexican workers while letting Detroit get the profits, or whether to support American workers while Tokyo gets the profits instead?

What's the problem with this? Canada and Mexico buy American vehicles. You rarely see American vehicles on the roads of Japan.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I bet a lot of import buyers are quietly hanging their heads in shame, cuz none have the guts to admit their poor decision in buying one. Haha, "I paid more for my Toyota, put American workers out of a job, now I'm having typical problems with my inferior import. Gee, I'm a sucker". It would never happen. Now we're seeing imports aren't all that.

I doubt it...in fact I still wouldn't buy a GM vehicle...I'll shop Honda, Nissan & Ford if my Toyotas prove to be problematic. All my friends who have Toyotas (most of my neighborhood) really like them. My biggest "sucker moment" was paying $50k for a 2006 Yukon XL Denali and having GM reufse to fix the poor quality piston slapper engine while under warranty...this was before the front differential failed and they said it was fine until 4,000 miles out of warranty when they told me to get lost. So there will never be another GM vehicle in my driveway. Those hanging their heads will be the unemployed UAW workers who made all those poor quality cars & trucks for years and drove the customers out the door forever. Hey I almost forgot...I can shop BMW, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and KIA...plenty of choices out there. But if posible I prefer a non UAW made car.

Last edited:
Something I learned recently. Did you know the UAW is more than Auto? They do Aviation and Aerospace. Boeing's US facilities that build everything from the 737 to the new 787- are all UAW.

When the UAW workers are unemployed, there is a really good chance a lot more of us will be unemployed too. Not something I would wish on somebody.

I am really getting tired of this "buy domestic and keep the jobs in North America" arguement. Toyota and Honda are one of the biggest employers in Ontario. Ford are starting to build more cars and trucks in Mexico. GM has invested billions in China and India shutting out the North American market. I am going to buy whatever I like because in most likelyhood it has more domestic parts than the domestic car makers have in their cars.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Toyota and Honda are one of the biggest employers in Ontario.

So is Ford, and has been for nearly a century. The transplants cant begin to match Fords history in Ontario.

While Ford may assemble a few models in Mexico, they are planning new models here for the States as well. No manufacturer that wants to compete in todays market can build all their cars on one continent. Ask people at Chrysler about trying to do that succesfully.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Toyota and Honda are one of the biggest employers in Ontario.

So is Ford, and has been for nearly a century. The transplants cant begin to match Fords history in Ontario.

While Ford may assemble a few models in Mexico, they are planning new models here for the States as well. No manufacturer that wants to compete in todays market can build all their cars on one continent. Ask people at Chrysler about trying to do that succesfully.

You are very correct in stating that in order for manufacturers to compete and stay in business, thay have to build some vehicles in other parts of the world. Buy, What I am trying to get at is this. A few days ago I overheard a fellow employee state that he is proud in supporting the domestic auto makers by driving a Chevy. He went on about how everyone should drive domestic to save the North American auto makers yada yada yada.. Knowing what kind of Chevy that he drives I ask him " What kind of chevy do you drive?" He replied, an Aveo. He drives an older Aveo which is a Daewoo. My Saab has more GM parts then his Aveo. When I told him what his car actually was he got off his soap box and changed the subject.

I guess my point of view is the Aveo still puts money in GM's pocket. My point of view may be too slanted to the benefit of Ford or GM as Corporate entities and not to a concern for the UAW and it's members. The sales of Aveo's could be said to subsidize the overpaid employees building other cars here in America. Profits matter, regardless of simpleton arguments to the contrary(not that you have used them).

And just like your Saab, remember. All those Foci built in Hermasillo or HHR's assembled in Mexico have parts that are sourced in the US as well. We agree, in todays world it's always going to be a mixed bag. Your friend didn't need to abandon his argument, just better understand it.

If your efforts are to save the UAW and their bloated wages, then buying domestically built cars/trucks should be a concern. If on the other hand your efforts are aimed at supporting all the other employees both direct and indirect of Ford/GM, then location of final assembly should/could be of little concern.

Me myself, I buy domestic of both origins...honestly the difference in quality is negligible.

Funny I just found this thread, see below for the carnage of a 2001 Elantra. Now this car has been in my family since new, and 99% trouble free, 1 axle seal was replaced during warranty. I have done every single oil change and brake job on this car since new. A few months ago my 16 year old brother in law said his wheel fell off. I come to his rescue and find his control arm had rusted and almost broke in half. I was able to limp the car home and replace the control arm. I inspected the control arm on other side and all looked well.

Now fast forward to last week, again my BIL calls and said his wheel fell off. But this time it did, only held in place by the brake hose!!!! A lady pulled out in front of him on a side street, so thankfully it was not at higher speed. Now my mother in law received a letter from Hyundai that the subframe "could" rust. So Monday it will be towed to the dealer for a new control arm and axle.

4335169535_1cdf42ded3.jpg
4335180543_891b809a37.jpg

4335918272_8be5332c1f.jpg

At least with GM I'm not having any problems. I bet a lot of import buyers are quietly hanging their heads in shame, cuz none have the guts to admit their poor decision in buying one. Haha, "I paid more for my Toyota, put American workers out of a job, now I'm having typical problems with my inferior import. Gee, I'm a sucker". It would never happen. Now we're seeing imports aren't all that.

How old is your car, how frequently do you drive it and how many miles does it have? Usually the people that say "I am not having any problems with my American made car" are the ones that buy cars so frequently that it is statistically unlikely that they would ever have problems no matter what car they buy. That is what happens when you change cars almost as often as you have birthdays.

I think we all need to take a step back here with all of these recall threads going around.

No manufacturer is immune. they all work in the same economic "real world" where bean counters tell them to cut engineering corners. Heck even in my job if i engineer something spectacular but the client doesn't want it or we're not getting paid for it, i get told to lay off even though my solution could be best.

I would not say any one is above or below any other in terms of having recalls throughout their history.

so everybody breathe deeply.

I do like however how everyone is coming through now with recalls they've been holding off on (... saving money), hoping to fly under the radar created by Toyota's massive recall. I expect just about everyone to sneak in their recalls now because it would gather less attention than Toyota's.

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine
At least with GM I'm not having any problems. I bet a lot of import buyers are quietly hanging their heads in shame, cuz none have the guts to admit their poor decision in buying one. Haha, "I paid more for my Toyota, put American workers out of a job, now I'm having typical problems with my inferior import. Gee, I'm a sucker". It would never happen. Now we're seeing imports aren't all that.

How old is your car, how frequently do you drive it and how many miles does it have? Usually the people that say "I am not having any problems with my American made car" are the ones that buy cars so frequently that it is statistically unlikely that they would ever have problems no matter what car they buy. That is what happens when you change cars almost as often as you have birthdays.

These are newer Toyotas and Hyundais having these problems. I can drive my GMs with confidence knowing I won't have import type problems with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back