Hyundai Motor shares dive after engine woes prompt third-quarter profit warning

What other OEM has problems of this scale/magnitude?!?

Ford with the 6.0 for one. They denied claims under warranty after the second or third claims for the same issue. Then at the same time-suing Navistar (the maker of the motor) for engineering a bad motor.

So yea.....

Toyota motors that sludged and frames that rotted? Honda automatics that were made of glass?
All of those and Ford head gaskets and transmission failures on ford Windstars 95-2000s. I was a kid still when ours had those issues so that and working at the Ford dealership from age 19-21 and then GM for a couple years after that biased me against Ford a lot. I worked at GM when the GMT 800 trucks were only 5-6 years old at most. They seemed to be bulletproof compared to the Ford's I was used to seeing.

Reactions: CKN
Yeah, and Elon is whack. Can't make a decent car. Just wait until GM and Ford decide to make an EV, right?
I’m wait listed for this:
236E1DB6-BD14-4297-98F3-84ECA3198E03.png

The Hyundai’s are literally catching on fire with no collision. They are catching fire for TWO reasons; leaking HPFP connectors and broken connecting rods.
1) The leaking HFPF connectors leak on the exhaust manifold and cause a fire. There is a high probability of these things leaking if the HPFP connectors are not replaced when reconnecting the lines back together after a repair. There are many reports of these cars catching on fire in people’s garages and burning houses down.

2) The connecting rods are breaking and piercing through the engine block, resulting in oil splashing on the exhaust pipe and causing a fire.

The Ford 6.0 Powerstroke, Ford Powershift, Toyota engine sludge, Toyota frame rust, and Honda fragile transmission issues, are all very unfortunate, but they are far less dangerous to the public than the Hyundai’s catching fire.

Hyundai has a website dedicated to the engine fires and has a video regarding the rod failure fires.

It's like this. They replaced my Son's motor that was well out of warranty. Placed him in a nice Chevy Malibu for two weeks until the new motor came in. This was well before the court settlement. I'm actually an owner (2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-Limited w/AWD)-they have a 100,000 mile warranty on the power train. Saved over $5,000 dollars when I bought new over Toyo/Honda equivalent.

So-yea there are reasons to buy Hyundai.

Hyundai didn’t replace your sons engine out of the goodness of their heart. They were under major scrutiny and facing major consequences so they started replacing engines to get it under control before the government did.

I guess I have been the lucky one. Me and the kids have owner 7 Hyundais and they have been the best cars that we have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few other brands with many problems. I literally spent more to keep one Ford product on the road than the total for repairs for all the Hyundais.

Hyundai didn’t replace your sons engine out of the goodness of their heart. They were under major scrutiny and facing major consequences so they started replacing engines to get it under control before the government did.

Might be true. But it's much more than some manufacturers have done under similar circumstances.

Article also says:

"For the first time, Hyundai said other engines that have not been mentioned previously are now included in provisions, possibly suggesting that more cost issues will continue after all,"

Sounds like it isn't just the Theta engines that have issues. Wonder what other engine problems are starting to crop up?

When I owned my Hyundai Sonata, I always felt like it was only 95% fully engineered. There was always something that was oddly designed, poorly placed, or just seemed incomplete. Hyundai/Kia are rated highly for initial quality, and they do show/test drive very well, but it seems that little nagging issues start to show up after a year or so.

Those little things like brakes that really did have to be “cleaned” or they dragged and or stuttered. Then there’s havin a bolt head that couldn’t be gotten at to do a relatively simple job like changing a rear rotor. Having to tear some of the rear suspension apart just go be able to turn that one bolt head is beyond unnecessary. Those sway bar end links with the plastic insert sucked and would start wearing your tire in short order once they started squeaking. At least they were cheap and easy to replace. We had ours 5 years and I’d never go near one again.

I've owned 6 vehicles.
a Chevy, an Olds, a Hyundai, a Dodge, a Mercury, and Currently a Ford.
of those, I had the Hyundai the Longest, and put the most Miles on it.
in the Summer of 2001, I bought a 1 year old 2000 Hyundai Sonata (16k mi) paid the extra to get the warranty back to the 10yr/100k mi, drove it 8.5 years, in which time I put 100k mi on it. Drove it until Feb of 2010.
the ONLY issues i had, were covered.
both front window regulators, several years apart, a dead Tach, and split CV Boots. (they also replaced the subframe for free under a recall the summer before i sold it.)
the only other issue with it, which wasn't really an issue...it used a qt of oil every 1000-1500mi. (that's even using 10w30 in an engine calling for 5w30 on the fill cap)

the CV boots they were awesome about, I pulled into the shop for the Diagnosis at ~99,990mi.( I was rotating the tires, and saw the inside of the rims were covered in grease) but becasue the Diagnosis was made before 100k mi, they were covered.
actually i wouldn't be surprised if the rusted out subframe was what punctured the boots, as they ordered the new one at the same time they diagnosed the boots. (which was a few weeks before the actual recall came out, but it was known it was coming, and they got me covered under it.)

The Hyundai’s are literally catching on fire with no collision. They are catching fire for TWO reasons; leaking HPFP connectors and broken connecting rods.
1) The leaking HFPF connectors leak on the exhaust manifold and cause a fire. There is a high probability of these things leaking if the HPFP connectors are not replaced when reconnecting the lines back together after a repair. There are many reports of these cars catching on fire in people’s garages and burning houses down.

So if you buy a Hyundai / KIA, don't buy one with direct injection..

I actually know 4 separate people who encountered the major engine issue. They got denied initiallly by Hyundai and went on to buy another brand never to return.

I actually know 4 separate people who encountered the major engine issue. They got denied initiallly by Hyundai and went on to buy another brand never to return.

Exactly. Hyundai and Kia were denying warranty coverage all day long for the first several years saying it was owner neglect. Then came the pending lawsuits and Hyundai started replacing them.

The Ford 6.0 Powerstroke, Ford Powershift, Toyota engine sludge, Toyota frame rust, and Honda fragile transmission issues, are all very unfortunate, but they are far less dangerous to the public than the Hyundai’s catching fire.

Hyundai has a website dedicated to the engine fires and has a video regarding the rod failure fires.

Indeed. I've found that a lot of recalls were safety measures in "could cause a fire." That seemed to be the utmost importance when issuing recalls compared to say, the Ford powershift that was a huge issue but no risk of fire.

Back