Hyundai/KIA Theta II multiple call campaigns

I agree with Vuflanovsky^
Internet noise is rampant, and not just with H/K. But their manuals do say 5w40 is fine for the 2.0T and 5w30 is fine for the 2.4, so I'm hardly out of spec here. The Hyundai Techs where we take the 2.0T say they've had a few engine replacements since 2011 but nothing outstanding regarding numbers. When visiting the Kia dealership this week, the same was said. I see this more as a the company having a few incidents and jumping all over it to protect a recently uprated reputation for building good cars. Said reputation was hard to get after years of being considered at the basement where reliability is concerned. If they didn't get on top of this with the recalls and subsequent generous extended warranty, they might slip back to where their reputation was 15-20 years ago.

Again, I've never owned a more reliable vehicle than our Santa Fe Sport turbo. We've been extremely pleased with H/K.

Originally Posted by JustinH
mine goes in tomorrow for 3 recalls including an ECU re calibration.

I wonder if it will run without pinging on 87 octane.

That's a great question. Please keep us posted.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by JustinH
mine goes in tomorrow for 3 recalls including an ECU re calibration.

I wonder if it will run without pinging on 87 octane.

That's a great question. Please keep us posted.

Still burning my tank of 93. There were some major changes with this ECU update, I would recommend it.

The throttle response has changed totally, especially light throttle. The sonata base is not a sports car, but the tune is dramatically better than the factory tune.

The best way I can explain it is the factory tune would lag when you would hit the gas, then rev high and not go anywhere.

With the re-calibration the car has no lag, actually somewhat fun to drive.

I bet they fattened up the mixture to keep the engine from pinging as well.

I wish I could find an article from a tuner to see what was actually done.

The true test will be next week when it gets a tank of 87 shell.

JustinH,

It's funny you mention how the tune enhanced the throttle dynamics. I experienced the exact same thing with the Sportage 2.4L. When i went back to the dealer to purchase accessories i shared this info with the tech. he said that's normal, the Tech also told me not to worry if i wanted to still run 5W-20, it is perfectly fine and will cause no issues.I wonder if the oil pump change after the 2015 MY plus this ecu update are the reasons why.

Last edited:
it's even funnier to me, I've changed to 5w30 right before performing an ECU update and all this time I was sure my car is more responsive because of the new oil LOL, somehow completely missed the point that ECU upgrade might have changed its behavior

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
So all these troubling details involved pre-2015 Hyundais/Kias?

As I understand every Theta II GDI from 2011 till now. I believe a Theta III is coming out/in the works.

5/40 & 91-93 octane have worked well for me since 2011. I've yet to accept the newest campaign offer.

Why is Hyunkia having such basic problems with oiling and machining that no one else is having? It's not the Mitsubishi engine design, so what is it?

I have no issue with the most recent Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) campaign. Both my vehicles received the update and now have Lifetime Warranty Coverage for the long block (parts and labor). Lifetime meaning unlimited years/mileage as per KIA Motors USA when i called.

Last edited:
I have no issue with the most recent Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) campaign. Both my vehicles received the update and now have Lifetime Warranty Coverage for the long block (parts and labor). Lifetime meaning unlimited years/mileage as per KIA Motors USA when i called.

Are both still a'knockin with 87 octane from top-tier stations?

My 2019 runs quiet and smooth on 87 top-tiers. I generally stick with Mobil, Shell or Sunoco. I try to avoid any stations with ethanol added.

My son has over 100,000 (trouble free) miles on his Sonata with all oil changes mostly done at Jiffy Lube.

That is only for connecting rod bearing wear. The warranty only applies if the issue stems from excessive connective rod bearing wear - not other engine issues. The car must have a P1326 stored.

Last edited:

My 2019 runs quiet and smooth on 87 top-tiers. I generally stick with Mobil, Shell or Sunoco. I try to avoid any stations with ethanol added.

Neither knocks

Originally Posted by CKN
My son has over 100,000 (trouble free) miles on his Sonata with all oil changes mostly done at Jiffy Lube.

Our SantaFe Sport 2.0T has well over that as well. No issues. Like we often say, internet amplification is always at play with most issues regarding most makes.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That is only for connecting rod bearing wear. The warranty only applies if the issue stems from excessive connective rod bearing wear - not other engine issues. The car must have a P1326 stored.

Correct, which is the only issue this platform is known to have with any number.

*Hyundai only gives a 120K warrantee - what a rip !

Originally Posted by Gokhan
What is magic about 3.5 cP? You would get much better protection with a 15W-40 (~ 4.3 cP) if you think HTHSV is an issue, as you don't have to worry about cold starts in Florida.

I do in Minnesota......-20F Just a personal choice minimum to strive for a 5-30. Still looking for a 5-40 with very low calcium/sodium for summers here 90F. LSPI is an issue since, get a full 18psi boost at 1,750 rpm.

Hyundai Turbo engines run rich by design, I suspect that's to avoid knocking and LSPI. Castrol 0W-40 has an updated formula that has lower calcium and a bit of magnesium, sulfated ash around 1% or 1.1%. Alternatives are Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 or 5W-30 and PUP SRT 0W-40. All of these have 0.8% ash content.

Hyundai Turbo engines run rich by design, I suspect that's to avoid knocking and LSPI. Castrol 0W-40 has an updated formula that has lower calcium and a bit of magnesium, sulfated ash around 1% or 1.1%. Alternatives are Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 or 5W-30 and PUP SRT 0W-40. All of these have 0.8% ash content.
Yea, that's old old news.

I think there are a lot of variables at play with the Hyundai/KIA engine failures.
(1) The machining process and proper cleaning of the block and all moving parts
(2) 11.1 compression ratio. That coupled with the use of 87 octane fuel. The knock sensors and ECM adjusts
the timing to compensate for octane levels. I recommend using premium fuel in all high compression engines.
(3) 0W20 or 5W20 oils are too thin and become thinner with fuel dilution.
(4) Improper maintenance. Not changing the oil & oil filter within the recommended period. Not changing the air filter
within the recommended period.

Thankfully, I haven't had any problems with mine and it's at 50,000 miles. 5W30 all the way.
*Please explain in more detail the relationship between a high compression Hyundai GDI engine and the need to run high octane (91+) gas in it ? Is there some issue with the knock sensor and ECM causing long term issues if used with low octane (87) gas ?

Not me, the '16 Soul! got the update and the glovebox letter indicates extended engine warranty to 120k.

Back