Hyundai/KIa 2.4L thermostat replacement on Forte.

Hey everyone. This is just a maintenance item that I would like to replace along with the coolant / antifreeze. Since I will be doing a drain and fill with OEM Hyundai long life coolant I figured I could replace the T-stat also as Its original. I ordered a genuine OEM Hyundai Kia 82 Celsius T stat and the long life coolant is 25 dollars at the dealer.

I looked in the factory service manual, and it appears easy enough. Here's what the FSM says.

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 8.20.23 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 8.20.50 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 8.21.07 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 8.21.23 AM.jpg

But that's the FSM... In real life is it this simple? Any special way to bleed system or anything?

Thanks for your input 🙏

Your best friend is You Tube to see some examples of how to.

Some cars are very easy others not so much so it is car specific.

If you're going to the trouble of changing the thermostat I would flush the system by doing a few drain and refills with distilled water with the thermostat removed until you have clear water coming out. Otherwise you will end up with half the old coolant in the system.

Hey everyone. This is just a maintenance item that I would like to replace along with the coolant / antifreeze. Since I will be doing a drain and fill with OEM Hyundai long life coolant I figured I could replace the T-stat also as Its original. I ordered a genuine OEM Hyundai Kia 82 Celsius T stat and the long life coolant is 25 dollars at the dealer.

I looked in the factory service manual, and it appears easy enough. Here's what the FSM says.

View attachment 118221View attachment 118218View attachment 118219View attachment 118220

But that's the FSM... In real life is it this simple? Any special way to bleed system or anything?

Thanks for your input 🙏
Did one on my friend's '08 Sonata a year ago. This looks very similar.

Straightforward as I recall - no surprises.

Update: got around to it today, took about 45 minutes. I did not even disconnect the hose from the thermostat housing. just removed the thermostat housing and popped out the thermostat after draining the coolant. Refilled with genuine Hyundai coolant in a 50-50 distilled water mix bleed the air from the system rechecked for leaks. All is well.

🙏

Update: got around to it today, took about 45 minutes. I did not even disconnect the hose from the thermostat housing. just removed the thermostat housing and popped out the thermostat after draining the coolant. Refilled with genuine Hyundai coolant in a 50-50 distilled water mix bleed the air from the system rechecked for leaks. All is well.

🙏
Thanks for the post. I just bought an '07 Sonata with the 2.4L. I bought a new Mando thermostat and will change it soon. Sounds like an easy job.

Back