Hyundai Genesis GV80- The next OJ-Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It helps. Many people don't know about the Genesis brand or that they make an SUV. Don't think anyone will blame the vehicle in a one vehicle roll over. People assume it's operator error and not a mechanical malfunction.

I'll vote neutral. Most crashes, and even chases, the vehicle goes unnoticed. OJ's white Bronco seems to be the exception.

Tiger was golfing in the Genesis golf tournament and driving a provided Genesis SUV. Can’t even protect your star driver in your loaner vehicle.

Reports I saw yesterday said he was driving at high speed (not sure if still true). Vehicles are supposed to take the hit, they deform to dissipate energy.

Plus he rolled. Don't know of any tests (like offset crash testing) that attempt to measure that. Nasty crash. Can't protect the occupants from all types of crashes.

"Can’t even protect your star driver in your loaner vehicle."

1) That's how I felt when one of Domino's custom pizza delivery Nissans was destroyed early on. I'm not trusting my pizza to a shabby rig like that! Similarly, my mink lined golf bag will never see the inside of a Genesis. My mind's made up.

2) Perhaps there was no fire hydrant to stop Tiger like there was before.

3) The Subaru commercials say, "They lived"....so what do you want?

Genesis Golf Tournament ended the career of its star attraction by giving hm a Genesis to drive. No walking away from this public relations fiasco.

I'd say that leaving a crash where the vehicle rolled and the jaws of life were needed to remove you through the windshield with only a broken leg and foot is pretty lucky. The vehicle did its job, and then some. Reports are that he was upset at something, as he almost hit a person and another car before leaving the parking lot, then drove off at high speed. I don't like to speculate, so it could've been totally unrelated, but either way, it doesn't take too terribly much to roll an SUV, especially if driven at high speeds. I don't think the brand looks better because of this, but they certainly don't look any worse, and only a fool would blame the SUV here.

He would have been better off driving a Subaru Ascent, since EyeSight lane assist clearly works unlike in a Genesis, and would have kept Tiger inside his clearly marked lane. Ideal driving conditions for lane assist: freshly painted lanes, sunny weather, clear visibility.

It definitely won't help the "Tiger" brand. From what I just heard on the radio, it sounds like his golfing days just ended forever.

No jaws of life were used. That was just news reporter embellishment in the first news reports. And you don’t need jaws of life to remove a car windshield.

Fire Chief Daryl Osby said that pry bars and standard-issue axes had been used to extract Woods from the accident "trouble spot",

Hearing this 3rd or 4th hand, but it was said on the radio this morning that the police officer in charge of the accident scene made note that the car held up very well in the accident, and 'saved his life'. Good advertising for Genesis.

No jaws of life were used. That was just news reporter embellishment in the first news reports. And you don’t need jaws of life to remove a car windshield.
Then they misreported this yesterday. My mistake for not double-checking. Still not as bad as blaming the car for user error.

Tiger2.jpg
“The Man, The Myth, The Tournament Host”

The fact that Ford discontinued the Bronco two years after the OJ trial and then sat on the model name for another 25 years before reusing it had nothing to do with bad publicity and public perceptions, nope, nope

The fact that Ford discontinued the Bronco two years after the OJ trial and then sat on the model name for another 25 years before reusing it had nothing to do with bad publicity and public perceptions, nope, nope

You've clearly got an agenda with 7 negative replies about this. Don't like Hyundai, Woods, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back