Hyundai Elantra - Touring edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this new model... Just found it on Hyundai's website. Kinda looks like a Honda Fit in the rear and a Mercedes Compressor / Lexus in the front.

2009_Hyundai_Elantra_Touring_1_LG.jpg

2009_Hyundai_Elantra_Touring_2_LG.jpg

2009_Hyundai_Elantra_Touring_6_LG.jpg

Hyundai Website

Hyundai is making some really good looking cars. Well some are total knock offs, but the overall lineup looks good. Unlike a lot of cars coming out that look more like a spacecraft then a car!

Yeah they certainly are trying hard... Some of the models out there today I would agree look more like a space-ship than a car.
grin2.gif

I saw the Elantra Touring at the LA Auto Show last year. Looks like a very nice vehicle. It doesn't seem like there are many fuel-efficient C segment hatchbacks in the US at this point. The Mazda3 hatch is a good one but only comes with the 2.3 engine. The VW Rabbit/Golf has the 2.5 5-cylinder. IIRC this comes with the standard Elantra 2.0 liter right?

I say bring on the small wagons!

Here's the economy breakdown versus the transmissions:

Fuel Consumption - L/100 km

5-speed Manual Transmission - City 8.9L (26.4 MPG)
5-speed Manual Transmission - Highway 6.4L (36.7 MPG)
4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - City 8.7L (27.0 MPG)
4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - Highway 6.5L (26.2 MPG)

Engine:

4–cylinder 16-valve Inline DOHC with CVVT
Displacement: 2.0L (1,975 cc)
Bore & Stroke (mm) 82.0 x 93.5
Compression Ratio 10.1:1
Horsepower @ RPM 138 @ 6,000
Torque (lb-ft) @ RPM 136 @ 4,600

It's a USified i30, not really an Elantra except for the badge.

That's an impovement, not that there is anything wrong with an Elantra.

Too bad we can't have the diesel version in the US. Do you Canadians get the diesel?

I saw one in the flesh up in North Carolina wine country a month ago. It looked like a stretched version of the Fit. That comparison was easy to make as my fiancee had her Fit parked 20 feet away.

Nice car from all I've heard. And it looked pretty sharp too.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I saw one in the flesh up in North Carolina wine country a month ago. It looked like a stretched version of the Fit. That comparison was easy to make as my fiancee had her Fit parked 20 feet away.

Nice car from all I've heard. And it looked pretty sharp too.

I wonder if it has the contortionist seats like the fit has. Those are some pretty cool seat features in the fit!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
That's good, I don't have to be jealous now.
08.gif

Even if we did, how could you be jealous of a Canadian, we are loved by all!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

LOL.gif

And you Canadians never let us forget how loved you are
grin2.gif
. Having traveled in Canada quite a bit, I can also say that you are also continually reminding your selves how nice you are.
crackmeup2.gif
11.gif
08.gif
Can't think of a neighbor I would rather have though.

Looks like the North American version only gets the one 138 hp gas engine. Yurp gets various gas engines and three diesels, the top one which puts out 138hp.

I like this car's versatility and it looks sharp. Saw one on the road the other day. Its looks every bit as good as the Taurus wagon looked when it first came out in the mid 80's. Was curious why only 138 HP myself. Hyundai is on a roll these days, but their motors still seem like they are one generation behind in power and refinement. JMO

Originally Posted By: XS650

LOL.gif

And you Canadians never let us forget how loved you are
grin2.gif
. Having traveled in Canada quite a bit, I can also say that you are also continually reminding your selves how nice you are.
crackmeup2.gif
11.gif
08.gif
Can't think of a neighbor I would rather have though.

Looks like the North American version only gets the one 138 hp gas engine. Yurp gets various gas engines and three diesels, the top one which puts out 138hp.

LOL.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The 5 speed trans gets 10 more miles per gallon on the highway than the auto trans ?

Is that correct ?
54.gif

Yup, copied and pasted. Probably because they keep the rev's up in the automatic for performance mode and so the transmission isn't always down/up shifting for performance.
21.gif

Yup, copied and pasted. Probably because they keep the rev's up in the automatic for performance mode and so the transmission isn't always down/up shifting for performance.
21.gif

Quote:
4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - Highway 6.5L (26.2 MPG)

It's a typo. 6.5 l/100km = 36.2 MPG, not 26.2.

Nice looking car. First car that came to mind was Saturn Vue 5 door
Saturn needs to bring the Euro turbo engine over to give it some zip. I prefer the 3 door.
092723.1-lg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back