Hyundai Elantra-no start up noise with Mann ML1002

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also had the same experience with Mann ML1002 filters on my 2011 2.0L and 2.4L Kia engines using 5W20 synthetic oil.

BTW, Bosch 72228WS is exactly the same filter.

Our 3.5 Kia is more sensitive with some oils more than filters for start up noise.. Love that Boron. Quaker and Penz products more silent that others for me.

Curious Norm, is your ML1002 made in US? I ask because if so in all probability it's a Puro Classic L14459 clone. If made outside the US, then a Mann Europe/Germany, different construction.

I never know what to think of enigne noise-filter anecdotes. So many variables that it's difficult for me to either give credit for lack of noise or blame when it happens. Guess if it works, ie., reduces/eliminates noise that's what matters. Just not sure of the actual mechanism/cause beyond a compromised adbv.

Hyundai/Kia do seem to have more than their share of noise anecdotes, especially spin on, using some aftermarket filters.

Visually comparing a Mann ML1002 to a Purolator Classic L10241, both made in USA.

Highly probable that they both came from the same manufacturer.

The relief valve, stampings, paint quality, box construction and inside flap icons are the same.

This makes life easier. Can just get a L14459 at WM.

Our third Hyundai and have used aftermarket filters on two of them:

Veloster NA(sold) and the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. Never had any startup noise.

Used:
Purolator gold
Bosch
Napa Gold

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Curious Norm, is your ML1002 made in US? I ask because if so in all probability it's a Puro Classic L14459 clone. If made outside the US, then a Mann Europe/Germany, different construction.

Sayjac, yes I believe it's the Purolator made filter. Black filter packed in green and yellow box, marked Made in USA. Got them on eBay for under $4.00 each.

The 2.4L Hyundai/Kia motors are very sensitive to different oil filter applications. Had a 2007 Sonata and a 2012 Kia Forte with the 2.4L motors. Both had start up and valve noise with anything other then an oe filter. Also found out the 2.4L motors leak quite a bit of oil from the timing chain covers and the oil pans. Keep an eye on that if you own a vehicle with that motor.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I am so glad I did not get the 3.5L V6 in my Sorento!

We have it in our KIA and I really like it. The engine is one of the most endearing aspects of the vehicle to me. To each his own I guess.

Have used nothing but Napa Golds in it for 20k miles now without issue.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Sayjac, yes I believe it's the Purolator made filter. Black filter packed in green and yellow box, marked Made in USA. Got them on eBay for under $4.00 each.

It is. When the US made Mann was first introduced the can was 'Classic' white with a sticker/label using Mann Green and Yellow printing stuck to the can. Last year or so they have gone to the Mann black color can.

When I noted that H/K seemed to have more than their share of noise anecdotes that was based on some aftermarket spin on filter anecdotes posted here, and the oft posted Hyundai tsb regarding use of aftermarket filters. And this thread would appear to jibe with that observation.

I can't speak for Mann filters, but I have had great luck with Wix and Fram Ultras. It's always had a 1-2 second whine on start up but it always goes away.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Some information for fellow Hyundai owners: I just did an OC in my 2011 Elantra Touring (2.0L) using a Mann ML1002 and 5w-30 blend, and I get NO start up noise with this oil filter.

MANN makes good oil filters and Air Filters and Fuel Filters and cabin filters.

I used a MANN oil filter a few times and it did the job.

However personally I think its a lil overpriced at AAP...

Did you ever try Motorcraft for your car?

Personally I think Motorcraft is the best bang for under 5$

Most have Silicone ADBV and the BYPASS is at the top of the oil filter... I mean for $4.19
its a deal .

However MANN is good but they are like $7.99 or more at AAP and no SILICONE ADBV and bypass is at the bottom.

However if you like the MANN then thats great... its a good Oil filter also.

Last edited:
I take it you haven't had your Damper spin on the end of the crankshaft and throw the belts killing the P/S, Alt, stalling the motor and trashing the crankshaft. We are in a class action with lovely Kia with ours. This 3.5 in a van is fine without the stupid 35 pound bob weight of a damper garbage design spinning out there on the Sorento, held in place by a skinny bolt and one little roll pin.

@Norman - Is this the first time you're using the ML1002 ?
I'm on the fence about using the one I have on my Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back