Hyundai ELantra ATF follow up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a paint marker. Crawl under, clean off plugs, both drain and level check, with alcohol, and paint a line in each plug. If the paint line is broken when you get it back, you'll know.

I dont get it...
So why does the manual CLEARLY state, or other "approved" fluids?? Evidently, Hyundai has approved other fluids, so again, what are they??

Originally Posted by flinter
I dont get it...
So why does the manual CLEARLY state, or other "approved" fluids?? Evidently, Hyundai has approved other fluids, so again, what are they??

You find one, you let me know...

I dont get it...

It doesn't mean that any approved fluids exist. Maybe one day in the future there will be approved fluids. Maybe not.

...how do I know for sure the drain and refill was actually done and done correctly since, with NO dispstick, there is NO way that I would know unless I stand there and watch them which I am sure most shops frown upon. If I use an independent shop, I think I would personal purchase the OEM fluid and bring to them and just ask for the empty bottles back.
The other option is to have the dealer do it, but again, how do you REALLY know if was done and done correctly?

I think your only solution is to pick one or the other, tell them you will need to watch them do all the work because you don't trust that they actually will do it. Let us know how that goes.

I have same 6 speed Hyundai transmission on my jeep compass and all I did was drain 3 qts out on a level ground and add 3 qts in cold. I used maxlife sp 1v ratetf ....did this 3 times with no problems. The battery has to be removed to fill atf....stealership wanted 280 bucks. I saved 160 by changing spark plugs too....both jobs are ez if anyone is sick of being raped by mechanics

Mopar and Hyundai charge 20 bucks a qt for sp1v, maxlife is only 17.97 at China mart for 4qts. I would at least ask them to do a drain and fill and see if you can get a discount for providing maxlife. ....There are some good YouTube vids of really meticulous people using ml in these Hyundai 6 speeds with good results

Originally Posted by Chesterr
Mopar and Hyundai charge 20 bucks a qt for sp1v, maxlife is only 17.97 at China mart for 4qts. I would at least ask them to do a drain and fill and see if you can get a discount for providing maxlife. ....There are some good YouTube vids of really meticulous people using ml in these Hyundai 6 speeds with good results

I'm pretty sure this is the A6 transmission Hyundai fully designed/patented and it's been around since the late 2000's, pretty reliable tranny. It's used in several Chrysler/Dodge/Jeeps. The OE sp4 is a rip-off. The only justification for using it is if you're still under warranty, at least then I can understand someone wanting to stick with it. Otherwise ML and Castrol Transmax MV Import (double check that one) will work just fine in lieu of the OE.

Man, someone should bookmark all the discussions here about SP4-M so we can refer everyone to it. SK ZIC is supposedly Hyudai/Kia approved, but good luck finding it: http://www.skzic.com/eng/product/content16.asp

A recent BITOG discussion: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-kia-sp4-m-atf-group-iii-or-group-iv-pao

FYI, I've stated here many times - in my area the Hyundai, Kia, and Jeep dealers use BG products in these trannies even during warranty. A Jeep dealer 20 miles away uses Maxlife for service of the 6 speed Hyundai tranny, again even during warranty.

Some state that the Kia fluid is cheaper ($14 +/-), but that seems to be questionable too.

A lot of people (me included) really wrestle with the idea of paying $20/qt. for tranny fluid.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

A lot of people (me included) really wrestle with the idea of paying $20/qt. for tranny fluid.

I don't mind spending $20/qt if it is the best option (or only option), but with so much evidence of fluids costing 1/4 that price that are as good (and some may say better) than OEM, I see no need to.
Only concern that may be a tiny issue is if you are concerned about warranty, but as stated, many dealers do no use OEM when they do a change.

As I have said in several threads before, Maxlife ATF is now my choice of fluid for all the vehicles that I service (Ford Mercon V, GM Dexron VI, Hyundai/Kia SP III/IV, and Toyota WS).

I have a jug of Maxlife on my shelf that will be used in my mom's Kia Soul in about 2 months when I do the first service on it (she just bought it with 23,xxx miles, will be doing a complete fluid change (oil, ATF, brake fluid, and coolant) @ 25,000 miles).

Man, someone should bookmark all the discussions here about SP4-M so we can refer everyone to it. SK ZIC is supposedly Hyudai/Kia approved, but good luck finding it: http://www.skzic.com/eng/product/content16.asp

That is like the first Hyundai approved fluid I've seen.

S. Korean conglomerate and their fluids are only available in ME/Asia/SE Asia markets... my guess is they PL bottle the Hyundai fluid.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That is like the first Hyundai approved fluid I've seen. S. Korean conglomerate and their fluids are only available in ME/Asia/SE Asia markets... my guess is they PL bottle the Hyundai fluid.

Hyundai also has their own petroleum manufacturing company with Xteer ATF fluids (does not state Hyundai approved). http://www.hyundaixteer.com/eng/sub1_1

That is like the first Hyundai approved fluid I've seen. S. Korean conglomerate and their fluids are only available in ME/Asia/SE Asia markets... my guess is they PL bottle the Hyundai fluid.

Hyundai also has their own petroleum manufacturing company with Xteer ATF fluids (does not state Hyundai approved). http://www.hyundaixteer.com/eng/sub1_1

Did not know... weird that a Hyundai made fluid would not be Hyundai approved???

Did not know... weird that a Hyundai made fluid would not be Hyundai approved???

Hyundai is an enormous conglomerate with many, many divisions or groups that don't work together, or need to work together. Or, at the end of the day, Hyundai may have no interest in "approving" any non-Hyundai-branded fluids even from their same corporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back