Hyundai dealership won't change hyundai trans filt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to stick to the book on my wife's '09 Veracruz. Took it to the dealership for a trans fluid/filter change at 44,000. Maintenance dept said that they don't change the filter, only the fluid. I think that they know that the trans will last 100,000 miles (powertrain warranty) without much maintenance, but want the car to require expensive maintenance after 100,000. Same dealership will not change the fuel filter (attached to fuel pump in the tank). I grew up being told these were required regular PM. Are they still necessary?

the fuel filter isnt. but if it has a regular easy access trans filter i would make them do it, if the manual calls for it to be done.

Replacing the filter on the fuel pump is not needed.

As far as the tranny filter, do you know if it even has a true "filter"? Some don't, they have more of a course screen.

One place Hyundai falls short is their service recommendations. They recommend services that the cars don't really need or dealers won't do. Another example is the "fuel tank air filter" on Sonatas like mine. I just replaced mine myself, but many dealers won't do it or don't even know what it is.

If you're a conspiracy theorist, you could say Hyundai puts these impossible services in the manual so they can use them to deny warranty claims if they aren't performed, but I don't know if that's really the case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
the fuel filter isnt. but if it has a regular easy access trans filter i would make them do it, if the manual calls for it to be done.

My dealer said the same thing on my Sonata, only do these things "if there is a problem."

John

I've seen close to 300K on external Toyota fuel filters. As has been mentioned, the returnless fuel systems, and cleaner fuel, have reduced the load on fuel filters.
The dealer may be coucerned that pulling the pan may result in damage caused by ham handed service "techs".

Fuel filter wouldn't be on my list.

If they don't want to do the A/T filter, wait until warranty is out or until you are comfortable with the idea and add a magnefine filter. Personally, I added one on our Accord when brand new.

Here's what the Wix website says about the trans filter for a 2009 Veracruz:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applications.aspx?Section=1
Quote:
"Not Servicable" - service not required

EDIT- Fram does list a filter for this app. It's number FT1153. I can't tell from this photo what type of filter it is, though.

FT1153_031006.jpg

Last edited:
Most transmission filters media are more like coarse felt or a metal screen...not doing much in terms of filtering, more likely to prevent larger pieces from entering the pump. Regular ATF changes are more of the pivotal point IMO.

as always great info on bitog; thanks for the heads up on magnefine, unnecesssary maintenance, and hyundai dealership tendancies; i did an atf flush with redline D4 on my hyundai when it was new; it should last forever; on my old 2000 chevy silverado, i did atf flushes every 20k miles, without ever dropping the pan and changing the filter; at 300k miles my transmission failed; i'm guessing the lines were clogged- atf must be so pristine; i never found out; the chevy was traded in; hope this is helpful, AmateurMechanic.

Originally Posted By: tribocessive
as always great info on bitog; thanks for the heads up on magnefine, unnecesssary maintenance, and hyundai dealership tendancies; i did an atf flush with redline D4 on my hyundai when it was new; it should last forever; on my old 2000 chevy silverado, i did atf flushes every 20k miles, without ever dropping the pan and changing the filter; at 300k miles my transmission failed; i'm guessing the lines were clogged- atf must be so pristine; i never found out; the chevy was traded in; hope this is helpful, AmateurMechanic.

300 K is pretty good life.

Most dealerships will no longer change a transmission filter because a jury will side with a guy who says "they changed my fluid and filter and screwed up my transmission."
If the dealer changes just the fluid only, the jury will side with the dealer.
It's as simple as that.

More years ago than I would care to admit to I applied for a job with Rockwell. In the interview they showed me a very special powered electronic sensing torque wrench. They said it was being manufactured for car transmission manufacturers. That the aluminum transmissions that were being built had a high rate of failure due to improper tightening of the bolts that held on the pan. They went on to explain that this new electronic torque wrench could detect / and make allowance for bolt holes that had fine shavings left in the hole, so as to have the finished real torque of the bolt be proper. I do not remember the exact numbers but it was something like before this torque wrench was used the failure rate was 15 percent, and when this torque wrench is used the failure rate was one percent.

So, you may be better off removing and then reinstalling the bolts that hold on a transmissions pan, as there is a chance of stripping the thread if it is over tightened, and having the bolt come loose if it is not tight enough.

Just my 2 cents worth about why you might be better off not dropping the trany pan.

It's hard to proof ones own work. Should have read:

So, you may be better off NOT removing and then reinstalling the bolts that hold on a transmissions pan, as there is a chance of stripping the thread if it is over tightened, and having the bolt come loose if it is not tight enough.

AmateurMechanic - I'm at 222k, never changed the transmission filter. Drain and fills only, all is well. The new fluids today don't produce the amount of deposits the old Dex III did. I have not seen any deposits at all. Always clean. Assume by your name tag you do your own work, 30k drain and fills you should be fine for well over 100k.

GM solid on transmissions; i wanted it to last forever; maybe expecting more than 300k is being too greedy; my main point: is frequent flushing enough or should you droop the pan sometimes?

It's most important that the pan drop occur when new or rebuilt before 30k miles. This is when most material is discharged.

In our fleet we alternate pan drops and flushes at 30k miles, but that is for severely loaded vans in city work.

I say that it should be fine if the dealership wont do it but be sure to get it in writing that they wont change the filter. That way in case they try to screw you over you have it in writing that it was considered "not necessary."

My Elantra has a filter but not a serviceable one. It is buried deep within the transmission and is only replaced if a rebuild is done. From what I understand it's not really a "filter" but more of a screen to catch anything big. Your transmission may be similar and that may be why they don't replace the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back