Hyundai dealer wouldn't replace engine without maintenance records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article states NJ owner and 91,000 miles on 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and new engine claim denied due to no receipts.
Not quite accurate. The owner had receipts, but not all of the requested/needed receipts. There's a difference between "no receipts" as you state, and missing some receipts (how many we don't know). The article states:

The car’s owner’s manual does say: “Maintenance service and record retention are the owner’s responsibility. You should retain documents that show proper maintenance has been performed on your vehicle in accordance with the scheduled maintenance service charts shown on the following pages. You need this information to establish your compliance with the servicing and maintenance requirements of your vehicle warranties.”

Walker didn’t have a copy of the photo of the alleged “sludge,” but we asked her to see if she could obtain any of the oil change receipts.

Some showed on a Carfax report, but not all.

So Walker kept trying. She was able to get some from one provider, but she struck out with another that had changed ownership since she was a customer.

The records she did receive showed regular oil changes, but there were some gaps in time, she said, because of the missing receipts. We sent the documentation to Hyundai and asked it to take another look.

Last edited:
Must be big gaps because that car allows for yearly/7500 mi oil changes. Gotta have those receipts...all of them at some dealerships.

I posted here some years ago where customer had no maintenance records and Hyundai still gave her a new engine. It all depends on the dealership, in every manufacturer's dealership network. 100% not H/K specific.

Not quite accurate. The owner had receipts, but not all of the requested/needed receipts. There's a difference between "no receipts" as you state, and missing some receipts (how many we don't know). The article states:

The car’s owner’s manual does say: “Maintenance service and record retention are the owner’s responsibility. You should retain documents that show proper maintenance has been performed on your vehicle in accordance with the scheduled maintenance service charts shown on the following pages. You need this information to establish your compliance with the servicing and maintenance requirements of your vehicle warranties.”

Walker didn’t have a copy of the photo of the alleged “sludge,” but we asked her to see if she could obtain any of the oil change receipts.

Some showed on a Carfax report, but not all.

So Walker kept trying. She was able to get some from one provider, but she struck out with another that had changed ownership since she was a customer.

The records she did receive showed regular oil changes, but there were some gaps in time, she said, because of the missing receipts. We sent the documentation to Hyundai and asked it to take another look.
Thanks for pointing that out, Shel. I'd say that the "some" receipts seem to have had some
effect as "no" receipts here, although I'll admit I speed-read what I saw.

Must be big gaps because that car allows for yearly/7500 mi oil changes. Gotta have those receipts...all of them at some dealerships.

I posted here some years ago where customer had no maintenance records and Hyundai still gave her a new engine. It all depends on the dealership, in every manufacturer's dealership network. 100% not H/K specific.
The article is about a woman in New Jersey.. can't say I'm surprised a denial happened.

And if there are good dealerships there of the brand, which I'm sure there are, has to be.. right?.... then she got a "bad" one.. it's an engine replacement under warranty, if she didn't have ALL receipts I'm not sure I can say I fault the dealership..

South Main Auto made a video years back about GM denying a claim "2 weeks out of warranty" or some such thing. Just based on that title alone.. You'd have to ask if the dealer was in the wrong.. I can understand the frustration at a "no" but I seem to be taking the side of "they didn't have to."

Very true and that is why there is not a New Toyota sitting in my Driveway.

Nobody on BITOG are buying new cars.
Beaters are too expensive.
Everyone is driving fewer miles-resulting in less maintenance and repairs.

So now all we can come up with are bashing Hyundai threads.

Is it too much to ask for maintenance records?

The article also states that the stealership also cannot come up with pictures of the alleged "sludge" and seemingly just gets to kangaroo-court deny any service without recourse. And for a do-it-yourselfer? Will they take receipts from someone not taking it to an official quickie lube?

I'm pretty sure a lawsuit would pin the dealers ears back, and yes Hyundai-Kia have a history of bad engines...

The article also states that the stealership also cannot come up with pictures of the alleged "sludge" and seemingly just gets to kangaroo-court deny any service without recourse. And for a do-it-yourselfer? Will they take receipts from someone not taking it to an official quickie lube?

I'm pretty sure a lawsuit would pin the dealers ears back, and yes Hyundai-Kia have a history of bad engines...
Yes-they replaced my Son's motor in his Sonata even though it was out of warranty-put him in a rental at no charge for two weeks.. He had receipts. The dealer didn't ask for them......

Yes-they replaced my Son's motor in his Sonata even though it was out of warranty-put him in a rental at no charge for two weeks.. He had receipts. The dealer didn't ask for them......

When was this?

And if your son's engine grenaded even though he had receipts? Doesn't say a lot for Hyundai does it?

When was this?

And if your son's engine grenaded even though he had receipts? Doesn't say a lot for Hyundai does it?
About 18 months ago. It was a design defect from the factory-no amount of oil changing could have compensated for it. What says a lot about Hyundai is they replaced the motor for him without issue and questions.

AND PAID FOR THE RENTAL. Again-it was out of warranty by a few thousand miles.

About 18 months ago. It was a design defect from the factory-no amount of oil changing could have compensated for it. What says a lot about Hyundai is they replaced the motor for him without issue and questions.

Right, during the pandemic when there were probably a lot of engines around. I've also seen a Kia dealer deny a warranty issue completely unrelated to a timing belt the customer hadn't changed but still did anyways. They probably thought she didn't have the money or wherewithal for a lawyer I'm guessing...
AND PAID FOR THE RENTAL. Again-it was out of warranty by a few thousand miles.

Your experience is very much an exception and not the rule and at least partially related to the fact that no one was driving much then and there were probably lots of parts on hand to get rid of and maybe they were looking for work for the boys. That ain't happening if it happens tomorrow. The fact is that Hyundai-Kia have probably made a lot more money from their 10 Year/100K warranty promises than they've ever paid out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back