Hyundai Accents/Kia Rios

Looking for a newer basic commuter - most of the Hyundai engine problems I can find seem to be more towards the Sonatas and larger cars, are the Accents and Rio's plagued by the engine issues too? (Around 2012ish to 2015)

My apologies if this has been covered, I fail at the internet.

Thanks in advance

The Hyundais you have in mind are GDI. They dropped GDI for 2020.

You'd be better off with a Yaris, Fit, Mazda2, Sonic, Spark, or Mirage :)

The Fiesta is good if you get the manual transmission. Otherwise, avoid it.

Most reviews of the Kia Rio I have read have been very positive. They have said you don't feel like you are in an econo car.

I would throw in elantras and fortes even new they arent much more..
let alone used.

Nothing wrong with them.. however you dont get the 10/100k warranty as a second owner just the 5yr/60k which is probably over for those.

While they dropped GDI in 2020, I would say it was more of an upgrade to DPI which is more efficient yet. and includes GDI
some engines are still port injected. The MPI 2.0 from the elantra for example.

While I'm throwing out info The new hyundai IVT is a cvt but with a chain not a pusher belt.
supposedly much more durable. I am not a fan but the one in the 2020 elantra well. Always seems to be in right rpm range.
kicks up and down as needed seemlessly.. and they tuned out some of the rubber band effect.
10yr/100k warranty makes the IVT easier to stomach.

Last edited:
I would steer away, that's just me

pay more upfront for a car, but at the end you get more as well

Just looked on Consumers Reports on a 2014 Hyundai Accent. Gets a 1/5 for customer satisfaction.
Consumers Reports gets a 8.5 seconds 0-60 in a 2014 Accent hatchback with a stick.
Opt for the lazy American automatic sedan and it does 0-60 in 10.3 seconds.

look to a yaris, either an original toyota or a rebadged mazda2. i got my 2014 toyota yaris in 2016 for $9800 with 42k miles from hertz. it’s a reliable, simple, tossable runabout, even crank windows. the 1.5 engine and 4sp auto transmission have been around forever and are bulletproof.

there are two widely varying schools of thought on buying an ex rental car. i also got a 2004 toyota corolla in 2006 from hertz that was great for 93k miles until it became one too many cars in the driveway.

The new '20 and '21 Accent sedan ( only ) / Rios ( sedan + 5 door hatch ) are a new engine and C.V.T. transmission . We have an '18 Accent SE sedan and has been quite reliable with 22,000+ miles . Averaging 39 m.p.g. calculated since new . The Display ( computer ) Average Miles Gallon is off up to 4 m.p.g. higher than the calculated . It has the 6 speed automatic . Go to carcomplaints.com for issues ( old + new ) posted by owners. It also has Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins . There was a rebate of $1,000 (?) for the ACCENT and $1,250 for the RIOs' . It's not showing them at their sites because of new ones to be realesed . May want to check their sites later and look under OFFERS . Best of luck .

Just looked on Consumers Reports on a 2014 Hyundai Accent. Gets a 1/5 for customer satisfaction.
Consumers Reports gets a 8.5 seconds 0-60 in a 2014 Accent hatchback with a stick.
Opt for the lazy American automatic sedan and it does 0-60 in 10.3 seconds.

A 2014 Accent is a 7 year old car. I'm sure it has gotten better. Yea- get a lazy Crown Vic, a La Sabre, or any other dinosaur and be the envy of your neighborhood.

I had a rental Hyundai Accent sedan back in 2017 for a couple of days. For a cheap new car it drove really well. I have no idea about the long term durability for an Accent but I was at least pleasantly surprised on how it drove.

The '18 ACCENT handles very well in all weather . The factory installed Continental Pro Contact TX ( H-rated) have less the 8/32s' ( or is it 7/32s' ) . They start at 10/32s' . . Plan to replace them with GENERAL Altimax RT43 ( H ) .

The new Accent and Kia Rios' have 0w-20 printed on the oil cap . You can use the 0w-20 , 0w-30 , 5w-20 , 5w-30 or 10w-30 . You can look at the online owners manual of both by Googling it . The new VENUE also has the same engine and transmission as the Accent and Rios' . Use SHELL Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 ( SN+, GF-6 ) with an FRAM Ultra XG9688 oil filter . Change oil every 5 > 6,500 miles . Would suggest the thicker oil of 0w-30 or the 5w-30 or 10w-30 for warmer temps . Synthetic would likely be best for all grades .

We have a 2020 Rio and it's been great. Ours has the technology package so it has the collision avoidance system and the upgraded LED headlights. Hard to beat for the money in my opinion. The iVT has been great, we also have the iVT in our 2019 Forte. Lots of folks like to talk down on Hyundai/Kia but they have done us well and will continue to buy them.

The Forte in my sig has been great. Usually around 40mpg with my mixed city and hwy driving. I test drove an Accent. Same transmission, different engine. Had a smaller touchscreen, but was mostly the same car. The Yaris is a rebadged Mazda2, and was noticeably slow. Great fit and finish, but slow.

The Forte in my sig has been great. Usually around 40mpg with my mixed city and hwy driving. I test drove an Accent. Same transmission, different engine. Had a smaller touchscreen, but was mostly the same car. The Yaris is a rebadged Mazda2, and was noticeably slow. Great fit and finish, but slow.
Hmm, the Forte and Accent are almost completely different mechanically. The Elantra is very similar to the Forte, however.

The Accent is a 1.6 Ltr. engine . The '20 and on get a newly designed 1.6 Ltr. motor . The '18 and '19 have an 6 speed auto . The '20 + '21 have the new C.V.T..

Back