Hyundai & 5w-20 - not recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't gone down and checked my Elantra owners manual. I'm sure that they allow 5w30 up to 100F. I did notice a penchant for thicker oils, however, including 10w40-- kind of a rarity. My dealer uses 5w30 Castrol on all their cars all year around. I get better mileage with 5w30 so am considering keeping it for 9 months a year rather than 3.

Can't understand why they would recommend the 5W30 up to 68F only while the 10W30 goes up to 104F. Wouldn't they be the same at high temps? Either way, I put Amsoil 5W30 in the wife's '02 Sonata 2.4L I4 last August and then drove it from Dallas, TX to Muncie, IN without a problem. She still has it in Muncie and says it's doing fine. It'll be changed when she comes back this August and will probably have less than 5k on the oil.

Holy spun bearings Batman.
grin.gif

According to that chart, 5W-20 is more suited to Gnome, Alaska, than Dallas, Texas.

Dave

Clement, was that an international site or a US site?

Do you have the URL? I couldn't find it and would like to try comparing what they recommend in different countries.

I love owner's manuals that give us credit for having enough sense to pick an oil based on temp. My wife's '03 Cavalier recommends 5w30 for all temps down to -20 F, then a synthetic 5w30 or 0w30 for those temps. 10w30 is not recommended, but ok for above 0F.

quote:

Originally posted by simpleguy_68:
Can't understand why they would recommend the 5W30 up to 68F only while the 10W30 goes up to 104F.

The reason is because all they have done is reproduce a chart/guide that is about two decades out of date.
rolleyes.gif

Correct, this is a standard temp. vs. viscosity chart similar to others we've seen that illustrates that a 5-20 is less robust than a 5-30 and that in turn is less robust than a 5-40 and so on.

Interesting that a 10-30 is shown to be more robust than a 5-40 though...

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:

According to that chart, 5W-20 is more suited to Gnome, Alaska, than Dallas, Texas.

Dave

Gnomes are in Norway, Nome is on Alaska.
lol.gif

According to the Alaska Real Estate Directory, it is spelled Gnome. They should know.
grin.gif

http://www.valuecom.com/states/Alaska/real.htm

Dave

The Gnome listing you refer to has a Bahamas phone number, no zip code and a fake city name.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

My daughter's 2001 Kia Rio (Kia is now owned by Hyundai) also recommends the 10W-30 as "preferred," 5W-30 as "acceptable" & only for cooler temps. The 1.5L 4 cyl. engine's oil capacity is a tiny 3.1 qts with filter change. So, the small amount of oil is working pretty hard.

With this debatr raging, I went to Hyundai's web site and checked out the oil recommendations for my 1.6L 2002 Accent:
Recommended API classification: SD OR ABOVE SE OR ABOVE [For EC.]

Recommended SAE viscosity grades:
 -

They don't recommend using anything under a 10W unless in cold weather.

Maybe they realize that thicker is better and screw the CAFE standards. But, with their vehicles, I'm sure CAFE isn't a problem for them. I think their biggest engine consumer wise is a V6. Like mentioned before, I can see why Ford wants the 5W-20...CAFE. But why would Honda, all their stuff gets good gas mileage. Unless, they law makers are throwing in the Acura's as well. Maybe that's it.

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:
My daughter's 2001 Kia Rio (Kia is now owned by Hyundai) also recommends the 10W-30 as "preferred," 5W-30 as "acceptable" & only for cooler temps. The 1.5L 4 cyl. engine's oil capacity is a tiny 3.1 qts with filter change. So, the small amount of oil is working pretty hard.

You bet it works the oil hard in summer . If it's automatic with A/C it treats the oil like a turbocharged motor . I bought my Wifey a new 2002 Cinco for a hiway commuter and it killed dino at 2500 miles but with 10w-30 Mobil Supersyn 5k miles is pretty easy but thins it down to 9.2cSt's in summer .Weather below 80F is a different deal though .

I think the Kia 1.5 and 1.6 are knockoff's of the Miata engine from what I can tell and pretty sweet little engines at that given some care . I expect over 250k out of this one baring something unusual . I think the new Chevy Aveo uses the same M-Tech motor .

On another note Kia sent us a letter advising of a 1000k dollar owner loyalty rebate resulting in a purchase of a stripped down 2004 Rio purchase 3 weeks ago for a little over 6k bucks when it was said and done after other rebates .

Same deal with owners manual asking for 10w-50 - 20w-50 SG oils or at least 40wts above 86F and the likes so since no breakin per the manual was required and it said nothing about an early oil change this car could have been driven through summer at 100F ambient with the factory oil up to 5k miles . He , He , I dropped it at 30 miles , yes 30 miles and analysis showed it to be a 9.7 cSt oil with 800 ppm zinc .

What they recommend and what they do seems two different at this point huh ?
smile.gif

Mobil recommends their 30wt synlubes anywhere a manufacturer calls for a 10w-40 dino .

PAO's
worshippy.gif
gotta love em
tongue.gif

[ April 22, 2004, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

That chart is from the Hyundai Web Tech off of the Hyundai USA web site.

go to: www.hyundaiusa.com
click on 'Owners' then 'Parts and Accessories' then 'Technical info'. Enter a car model and year, then click on the shop tab. You should be able to find it from there.

Oh yeah, My 1.6L engine takes 3.4 quarts of oil with a filter change. Right now I have SuperTech full synthetic 10w-30 and some Valvoline SynPower oil treatment.

My 01 Elantra brings up same chart. I'm going to check my owners manual in the next few hours. I was sure it was different. Wonder if I can go after the dealer for using 5w30 all year long?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back