Hyundai 26300-35505 OEM filter 3000km - Break-in metal shavings

I changed the Tuscon's oil for the first time last month. I always like to change out the factory fill within the first few 1000km. First time cutting open a filter that was used during break-in. Seeing small metal flakes makes me feel a little uneasy since I've never seen that before in any of my cars, but I've been on this forum long enough to know that I shouldn't be worried. Not sure what machine is responsible for putting these filters on from the factory, but I'd like to see it so I can give it the middle finger. That was the hardest I ever struggled getting an oil filter off.

Everything looks good and I'm planning to keep using OEM filters for the rest of the car's life.

GPqph78h.jpg

6OKX5LAh.jpg

TxMGbPkh.jpg

LrEY2mkh.jpg

2ci8E8kh.jpg

Looks good to me. I had a similar experience with the Mazda. It’s just a guess on my part but I think the aluminum sheds this early on. After the first change I saw nothing.

I'm using the same filter on my Kia Sorento and plan on using it in the future. Please show us your next C & P after the next oil change.

I'd also suggest using 'factory' filters (I liked Mann made ones better than those made by YoungDong thou) or Mann W811/80 which is same filter made in Korea as well :)

I'm using the same filter on my Kia Sorento and plan on using it in the future. Please show us your next C & P after the next oil change.

Will do. Next oil change will fall sometime later this year.

I'd also suggest using 'factory' filters (I liked Mann made ones better than those made by YoungDong thou) or Mann W811/80 which is same filter made in Korea as well :)

I wasn't aware that there was another manufacturer for the OEM filters. Anything in particular that makes you prefer one over the other? Also, good shout on the Mann W811/80. Filters from the dealership are a few dollars cheaper but if Partsource ever has a sale it might be a good idea to pick a few up.

I got my Manns from RockAuto at US$4.80 a filter or so. I used to get Kia filters in US before US/Canada border closure. Local prices are much higher on OEM or Mann. I don't trust much other filters in same price range.
There are actually 3 companies in Korea that make Kia/Hyundai 'OEM' filters, Mann made ones seem to be a little better made internally - cleaner metal surfaces, a little longer filter media pack and glued better.

I changed the Tuscon's oil for the first time last month. I always like to change out the factory fill within the first few 1000km. First time cutting open a filter that was used during break-in. Seeing small metal flakes makes me feel a little uneasy since I've never seen that before in any of my cars, but I've been on this forum long enough to know that I shouldn't be worried. Not sure what machine is responsible for putting these filters on from the factory, but I'd like to see it so I can give it the middle finger. That was the hardest I ever struggled getting an oil filter off.

Everything looks good and I'm planning to keep using OEM filters for the rest of the car's life.

GPqph78h.jpg

6OKX5LAh.jpg

TxMGbPkh.jpg

LrEY2mkh.jpg

2ci8E8kh.jpg
I have always used the Hyundai OEM filter in my Tucson 1.6 TGDI and they always looked good. I would like to get a Mann& Hummel to fit my new Ford Ranger. Kind of scary to see all the problems with the Motorcraft.

I don't know, I've used nothing but Motorcraft on my Ford's and never had a problem.

For Hyundai or Ford, most dealers run a $39.99 oil change special so I always get a OEM filter.

I believe that the Hyundai filters are Mann Hummel.

I have always used the Hyundai OEM filter in my Tucson 1.6 TGDI and they always looked good. I would like to get a Mann& Hummel to fit my new Ford Ranger. Kind of scary to see all the problems with the Motorcraft.

What problems with Motorcraft? what OE filter on the Ranger? Does it take a '3614' size? Probably could use the VW, Mopar, or Toyota equivalent and get weird Ford technician looks from the service bay.

I think there is a Napa on my Hyundai now. Like my ol' Kia, the Hyundai also has gotten almost every brand of filter out there. Cut open all and never had any issues. Used all 4 Frams that were available, several Purolators, Wix, M1, Champ, MicroGreen, Bosch, STP, Amsoil, RP..... and all worked well in the Hyundai. I don't go out of the way for the Hyundai filter since there was no reason to. Overrated rockcatcher!

The reason why I won't use the Hyundai filter is Hyundai can't admit to the real failures with some of their engines. So, I use a thicker oil, shorter oil change interval, and use a filter with drastically better micron rating and holding capacity. And, I don't buy any Hyundai parts, unless no substitute available. They made enough money from the vehicle sale and can't be honest about issues without a class action lawsuit or gov't warning. I won't give them any more funding for lies.

What problems with Motorcraft? what OE filter on the Ranger? Does it take a '3614' size? Probably could use the VW, Mopar, or Toyota equivalent and get weird Ford technician looks from the service bay.

I think there is a Napa on my Hyundai now. Like my ol' Kia, the Hyundai also has gotten almost every brand of filter out there. Cut open all and never had any issues. Used all 4 Frams that were available, several Purolators, Wix, M1, Champ, MicroGreen, Bosch, STP, Amsoil, RP..... and all worked well in the Hyundai. I don't go out of the way for the Hyundai filter since there was no reason to. Overrated rockcatcher!

The reason why I won't use the Hyundai filter is Hyundai can't admit to the real failures with some of their engines. So, I use a thicker oil, shorter oil change interval, and use a filter with drastically better micron rating and holding capacity. And, I don't buy any Hyundai parts, unless no substitute available. They made enough money from the vehicle sale and can't be honest about issues without a class action lawsuit or gov't warning. I won't give them any more funding for lies.
Changed the FoMoCo factory filter and put on an MC FL 910S. I don't know who supplies the factory FoMoCo filters. I cut it open and looks like a good filter, base plate by pass, coil spring in the dome end and the pleats were evenly spaced.

I don't use OEM Hyundai filters, in fact, when I bought my new Kona and drove it home and put on a Fram Ultra. No worries in the USA on warranty. I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that galled up it's pistons at 14,000 miles and it had a Fram Ultra in it. They tested it their filter and I still had the "Hyundai tick of death" ( piston material getting past the filter when it is in by-pass mode and all the aluminum debris takes out the lifters) I then told them when I go back home I will be putting back on a Fram Ultra. Still was warrantied after the initial comment it had an aftermarket filter on it and shut them down with "the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states I can use any oil filter as long as the oil filter manufacture states that that filter # is meant for my car. Nothing was said after that. It received a new long block.

Now I run Fram/AA Titanium filters I get at Fram Ultra prices if I buy 6 at a time. I wont run Hyundai filters because the Fram Titanium/Ultra flows better and filters better then a OEM swiss cheese Hyundai filter that Hyundai altered to filter less, to increase flow to try to fix their bad metallurgy choice for pistons and bearings. It is not an oil /filter problem, it is a metallurgy problem.

I just I don't see why all the the love for a marginally filtering oil filter that seems to make people feel so good, because it weighs a lot.

I don't use OEM Hyundai filters, in fact, when I bought my new Kona and drove it home and put on a Fram Ultra. No worries in the USA on warranty. I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that galled up it's pistons at 14,000 miles and it had a Fram Ultra in it. They tested it their filter and I still had the "Hyundai tick of death" ( piston material getting past the filter when it is in by-pass mode and all the aluminum debris takes out the lifters) I then told them when I go back home I will be putting back on a Fram Ultra. Still was warrantied after the initial comment it had an aftermarket filter on it and shut them down with "the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states I can use any oil filter as long as the oil filter manufacture states that that filter # is meant for my car. Nothing was said after that. It received a new long block.

Now I run Fram/AA Titanium filters I get at Fram Ultra prices if I buy 6 at a time. I wont run Hyundai filters because the Fram Titanium/Ultra flows better and filters better then a OEM swiss cheese Hyundai filter that Hyundai altered to filter less, to increase flow to try to fix their bad metallurgy choice for pistons and bearings. It is not an oil /filter problem, it is a metallurgy problem.

I just I don't see why all the the love for a marginally filtering oil filter that seems to make people feel so good, because it weighs a lot.
This has been posted before - see the section entitled: Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

Note what the bold part below says. If say a non-OEM oil filter caused engine damage, then the car manufacturer could certainly deny the warranty and tell you to go make the claim against the filter manufacture.

"No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage."

Last edited:
Another source saying the same thing.

"How does it apply to car parts?
According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. That said, if your aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure in your vehicle, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim - as long as they can prove the connection. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership."

When I owned a 2008 Hyundai Elantra, that's all I ran. It is a good filter and was only like $4.00 with a new crush washer from the local dealership.

Back