Hyundai 2.4L Oil Service Bulletin

The bulletin states that they are just trying to remind customers to keep up with maintenance. Is there an underlying issue this bulletin addresses?

After reading about "Campaign 953" which triggered the "free" OC, I'd less concerned about the oil viscosity used than the reason for the campaign itself. Linked is one anecdote, though google indicates a similar pattern. 'In my observation and reading,' the 2.4L Hyun/Kia engine especially appears to be a problematic one.

https://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18156

Last edited:
Members of my family practically begged me to keep this car (2011). They thought it was one of the nicest I'd owned. Glad I never listen to my family. Kind of a shame about their engine issues....they are pretty nice cars.

My boss went through the engine failure recall with Hyundai on her 2011 Sonata. She doesn't know a lot about engines, but she just said 'it came apart internally". She dumped it as soon as they got it back to her with a new engine.

Optima.jpg

I have a 2012 Santa Fe with the 2.4L coming onto 200,000 miles (need to update signature.....). Engine has been great. No issues. Looking at the bulletin, it seems it is the 2013-2014 models that have the issue. Engine gets mostly 5W-30, but does get 5W-20 from time to time. I changed it at 5K up until about 150K, now I do it a couple times a year as the car doesn't get driven much anymore. Maybe 5-6K a year.

I have a 2012 Santa Fe with the 2.4L coming onto 200,000 miles (need to update signature.....). Engine has been great. No issues. Looking at the bulletin, it seems it is the 2013-2014 models that have the issue. Engine gets mostly 5W-30, but does get 5W-20 from time to time. I changed it at 5K up until about 150K, now I do it a couple times a year as the car doesn't get driven much anymore. Maybe 5-6K a year.
The service bulletins mostly concentrated on the 2013-14 models, but things pretty much stopped after the 2017 models.I rarely if ever hear of a 2018 on up having grenading issues.

girlfriends flawless 18 2.4 optima gets 10-30 fake synthetic changed as recommended + OE filter + uses NONE in Penna . sure beats the traded 13 2.5 oil burnin 13 malibu at only 60 some thou bought new, it consumed the worse with recommended 5-20!!

I have a 2011 Kia Sportage with the 2.4L multi port injection engine that has 234K miles on it. It does not burn or even leak any oil between oil change intervals. I replaced the alternator yesterday and that was the first engine component to fail. I have adhered to a 4K mile interval oil change and used various "full" synthetic oils. The filters also were varied. I have settled on Wix oil filters now however and buy whatever "full" synthetic that is on discount. I pay between 15 and 20 dollars for a 5 quart jug. i have used Amazon, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Napa, and Wal-Mart oil over the years. I am trying now to better understand if i should switch from the 5W-20 i have used all this time to 5W-30. I read with interest all the posters here who have a wealth of knowledge about motor oil. In my earlier years - i was always tinkering with the better mousetrap idea - age has taught me to dance with the girl i brung...

I have a 2011 Kia Sportage with the 2.4L multi port injection engine that has 234K miles on it. It does not burn or even leak any oil between oil change intervals. I replaced the alternator yesterday and that was the first engine component to fail. I have adhered to a 4K mile interval oil change and used various "full" synthetic oils. The filters also were varied. I have settled on Wix oil filters now however and buy whatever "full" synthetic that is on discount. I pay between 15 and 20 dollars for a 5 quart jug. i have used Amazon, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Napa, and Wal-Mart oil over the years. I am trying now to better understand if i should switch from the 5W-20 i have used all this time to 5W-30. I read with interest all the posters here who have a wealth of knowledge about motor oil. In my earlier years - i was always tinkering with the better mousetrap idea - age has taught me to dance with the girl i brung...

Welcome to the board, LCC0256!

I agree. Dance with the girl u brung! :)

We had a 2013 with the 2.4. It got 5W30 from the first change until we traded it. It had 62,000 miles on it when we traded. My oils of choice were QSUD 5W30 or Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W30. Filters were either NAPA Gold 1334 or OEM. We also ran 93 octane fuel in it. We never had any mechanical problems.

It seems like there are more threads about Hyundai/Kia vehicles than any other car brand. I’m really starting to wonder why that is.

Although this Hyundai 2.4L Oil Service Bulletin "expired" 12/31/19 for 2011 - 2014 model year 2.4L engines , I feel it is prudent to adhere to the bulletin in my 2017 2.4L engine as well (i.e. use 5W30 and not 5W20 weight engine oil) : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163868-9999.pdf .
The 5w30 makes sense, but they aren't worried about when the oil is bone dry at 7000 miles before the customer comes in for the next oil change? They were too cheap to put in a low oil sensor and then didn't make the most solid engine in the world, and we're living in a world of oblivious people who don't know any better...what do they expect to happen?

I hope my 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI engine is new enough to dodge the Hyundai engine issues ! ... 5W30 synthetic + new oil filter every 4,000 miles and check the oil level regularly and top off if needed ... Now that it's paid for my wife says I have to hold onto it so she can get her new Subaru Outback .

Back