Hyphenated Last Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching the Olympic girls volley ball competition and there's this one girl that has HANEEF-PARK on the back of her jersey in capital letters. If she ever decides to legally separate from Mr. Park, can she immediately go back to being Ms. Haneef the next day? How does that work?
54.gif

Know a couple down the mountains who shared both their surnames.

He went from yyyyy to xxxxx-yyyyy, and she went from xxxxx to xxxxx-yyyyy

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Haill,,, Lots a folks here in the hills get married and it don't change their last name at all!!

Bob

So that's why they all have those double first names like Bill Bob and Amber Heather in the South!

Funny thing, I have three first names, but only the first one is used as a calling name. The other two are both grandfathers' first names.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Haill,,, Lots a folks here in the hills get married and it don't change their last name at all!!

Bob

LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Is this where you go to the family reunion looking for a date?

More often than not, the woman wants people to recognize her by her maiden name and at the same time take on her husband's name, too. Hyphenating is one way to do that.

i have nothing against women hyphenating the last names or keeping their maiden name after marriage; I know a lot of girls who did that.
That Mrs. "[hubby 1st name] [hubby last name]" (like "Mrs Robert Smith") is the worst from, IMO, and 100% takes away the personality a woman has...dang: not even her FIRST name is in that form
LOL. she's essentially "Mrs. Husband"

Originally Posted By: Matt_S
More often than not, the woman wants people to recognize her by her maiden name and at the same time take on her husband's name, too. Hyphenating is one way to do that.

Wanting to "have it all," no doubt.

When a woman gets married in our culture, her last name changes to his. That's all there is to it. If a woman isn't traditional enough to take your name, why would you want to get involved in a traditional institution like marriage with her?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Matt_S

When a woman gets married in our culture, her last name changes to his. That's all there is to it. If a woman isn't traditional enough to take your name, why would you want to get involved in a traditional institution like marriage with her?

so i guess you don't believe women and men are equal in society, huh?
woman's name has to change UNDER the man, :) great.
these are times when I miss Europe

Last edited:

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it for the record. I'm just stating what it is. Name changes vary substantially from culture to culture and IMHO, it's a matter of personal preference and finding a partner that suits you. I've heard that in India, it's commonplace for a child to take a combination of the two parents' names that's worked into a new third name (which explains why Indian names can be as long as they sometimes are).

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
... so i guess you don't believe women and men are equal in society, huh?...

It's not so much what we believe, as much as the women themselves should make up their mind. When it comes to equality, all to often they pick and choose where they want to be equal. It's either all or nothing in my book, not what suits them best.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

It's not so much what we believe, as much as the women themselves should make up their mind. When it comes to equality, all to often they pick and choose where they want to be equal.]

i can see that and agree;
what I don't like is when people think you shouldn't marry a woman unless she's willing to change her name (Like on poster said a few posts above) is pure [censored]!

"..I love and respect you and would like to spend the rest of my life with you, but I won't marry you if you don't change your last name to mine, because I am the MAN.."
what absolute demeaning KRRAP!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
these are times when I miss Europe

Which part of Europe? A lot of places in Europe are actually less tolerant about this issue than the US.

Which culture are you referring to in "our culture"?
Honestly, I think culture should be used to our advantage, and not to artificially constrain us. Personally I don't see a big deal with the woman hyphenating her last name or even keeping her maiden name. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this.

my wife wanted to keep her last name when she married me. I put my foot down with the hyphenation. She changed her name and got rid of her middle name and put her maiden name as her middle name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back