HydroGear factory fill EZT-2200 UOA

From my Cub Cadet ZTR (34hrs), removed 1 qt per side of 20W-50 oil and sent it out for UOA.
Looks a sodium based additive package, with API SN levels of Zinc and Phosphorous. Calcium was a mediocre 1400ppm and no Magnesium.
Silicon was 40 ppm and similar to my Toyota's ATF UOA. Probably silicone RTV gasket material.

Surprisingly there was 33 ppm of Pb. I called HydroGear and they were not sure where it came from. They suggested powder metal gears. I also called Fabick Cat to redo the oil analysis and the results was again 33ppm Pb.

Any idea where it is from?

cub_cadet-1.jpg

We are using B&S sae30 api SJ oil...find it in VOA section...it has nice dose of ZDDP levels...

I have seen some customers with 5w50 oil (hence...sae40&50 are not that low on ZDDP here)

Summa summarum....any Tractor UTTO/STOU fluid would be spot on (GL4 spec + hydraulic properties)

DSC_0918.JPG

@Kamele0N I have never opened my unit. Any ideas where the lead in my uoa is coming from?

Is there a reason to seek ZDDP in a Hydrostatic Drive? Recently changed a quart of mine with Castrol 5W50 and seems to be doing fine.

Why do you think that GEARBOX doesnt need ZDDP? To me it seems obvoius that gearbox can only benifit with them
smile.gif

Regarding lead.....will ask mechanic on Monday if it could have any lead in bearings (Babbit alloy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(alloy)

I was just present here when mechanic was changing leaking O-rings and semmerings
smile.gif
Unit came from factory new lawn rider....seems that these "Tuff torqs" are not as tough
grin.gif
(just kidding...other then that we dont have any recalls....10eur fix)

Last edited:
@Kamelen0N Thank you for asking.

Today's SN oil usually have a maximum of 800ppm Zn/P to minimize catalyst damage. Not an issue for a transmission but Zn/P levels may be too low and older SJ with higher Zn/P levels (1100+ ppm) probably had higher levels of protection.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
@Kamelen0N Thank you for asking.

Today's SN oil usually have a maximum of 800ppm Zn/P to minimize catalyst damage. Not an issue for a transmission but Zn/P levels may be too low and older SJ with higher Zn/P levels (1100+ ppm) probably had higher levels of protection.

That maximum 800 ppm Zn/P limit only applies to oil up to 30 weight. The 50 weights can exceed that and does exceed that you don't need to add more supplement.

The word on the street is hydro units love ZDDP, zinc in particular. Exmark used to only recommend M1 15w-50, but ever since Mobil lowered the zddp levels in it they had to start offering their own Exmark branded fluid. No idea who actually makes it but its alleged to be loaded with zinc.

Originally Posted by SOHCman
The word on the street is hydro units love ZDDP, zinc in particular. Exmark used to only recommend M1 15w-50, but ever since Mobil lowered the zddp levels in it they had to start offering their own Exmark branded fluid. No idea who actually makes it but its alleged to be loaded with zinc.

I spiked my Napa synthetic 15w-50 qt with Redline zddp additive at 18g/qt and the total additive level to 1200 Zn and 1100 P. The HydroGear tech on the phone had no comment when I mention that their factory fill was 800/700 (Zn/P) and cited they used whatever 20W-50 was available by contract. I guess they don't care as much as Exmark who are more direct line responsible to the commercial users. Thanks for sharing.

Sometime, there are engineers who just has a beef with lowered zddp levels with no testing to back it up. Flat tappet engines seems to be where higher zddp levels were needed. It seems to me that the people at Hydro-Gear are not concerned about zddp levels and there may be no need to worry about it,

I asked the mechanic....no "white alloy" in the plain bearings...just casted aluminium (dunno wich alloy).

Gearbox is TuffTorq...

Regarding your Pb traces in the oil....hmm they could be from the assembly paste...if factory was using such one...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I asked the mechanic....no "white alloy" in the plain bearings...just casted aluminium (dunno wich alloy).

Gearbox is TuffTorq...

Regarding your Pb traces in the oil....hmm they could be from the assembly paste...if factory was using such one...

Thanks, I will asks Hydrogear about their assembly lune.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

Gearbox is TuffTorq...

Thanks, I will asks Hydrogear about their assembly lune.

Called HydroGear and they are still unsure about the Pb even though I suggested assembly lubricantion.

Originally Posted by SOHCman

Amsoil Hydrostatic Transmission zddp levels. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4865819#Post4865819

Was this the factory fill?

If there are no babbit bearings, and it appears they are using only roller bearings, the lead must have come from a chemistry component added at the factory, most likely Lead(2+) di(2-naphthoate).

Since there appears only to be spur gears involved, ZDDP levels of 700 ppm are sufficient. No need for EP additives.

The analyzed oil appears to about an 80W90.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

If there are no babbit bearings, and it appears they are using only roller bearings, the lead must have come from a chemistry component added at the factory, most likely Lead(2+) di(2-naphthoate).

Since there appears only to be spur gears involved, ZDDP levels of 700 ppm are sufficient. No need for EP additives.

Yes, this is a factory fill on my Club Cadet ZTR.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Yes, this is a factory fill on my Club Cadet ZTR.

Just did a set of ezt's on a 5 of 2012 rzt50. What came out looked like gear oil to me. The noisy side had a foul odor.

I put couple capfuls of Lucas assembly lube in each, filled with Napa 15w-50 and it's pretty quiet now.

I pulled them, flipped them, refilled. Vents were clear, no water I could see.

A 2 year update on the hydrostatic oil analysis.
18g of Redline ZDDP got me to the 1200/1100 ppm Zn/P levels. My calculations were correct.

-0182 Napa 15w-50 added zddp 97hrs
-0078 Factory 20w-50 33hrs

Attachments

• BCD20DCB-B1DF-4644-BB88-D293C893C2C2.jpg
    BCD20DCB-B1DF-4644-BB88-D293C893C2C2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Back