Hydrogear EZT-2200 oil change - ZDDP Preparation

Trust me, pull the vent plugs out. The breather breathes VERY slow making refill VERY slow.

Pull the vent plug and it’s like a 1/2 open hole, almost fills as fast as you can pour it(with trans out on bench, never tried an ezt drain/refill in the body. These little trans are usually pretty easy to get out and dump).

Originally Posted By: racinjason
Trust me, pull the vent plugs out. The breather breathes VERY slow making refill VERY slow.

Pull the vent plug and it’s like a 1/2 open hole, almost fills as fast as you can pour it(with trans out on bench, never tried an ezt drain/refill in the body. These little trans are usually pretty easy to get out and dump).

Now I am confused. The breather tube is the one that has a right angle fitting with a 4” tube attached to it. It is adjacent (approx 1.5”) to the top filler plug on the EZT-2200. @racinjason where is the vent plug located?

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525

Now I am confused. The breather tube is the one that has a right angle fitting with a 4” tube attached to it. It is adjacent (approx 1.5”) to the top filler plug on the EZT-2200. @racinjason where is the vent plug located?

Revised Question

Now I am confused. The breather assembly consists of the following:
#1 fitting (unspecified dimensions)
#2 cap,barb vent
#3 hose

reference: page 32 ZT-2200 parts list

@racinjason Which part did you remove #2? How was #2 removed? (Threaded: counter-clockwise or popped the cap, barb vent using a screwdriver)

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

Revised Question

#2 cap,barb vent
#3 hose

@racinjason Which part did you remove #2? How was #2 removed? (Threaded: counter-clockwise or popped the cap, barb vent using a screwdriver)

I took the whole fitting out. The black plastic cat has a white wax type paper in it., i think if you pop off the black cap it will breath fine.

Revised Question

#2 cap,barb vent
#3 hose

I took the whole fitting out. The black plastic cat has a white wax type paper in it., i think if you pop off the black cap it will breath fine.

Thank for sharing your insight. Since I am doing an on-board oil change, I don't have much room to remove the whole fitting and risking potential contamination.

Uodate: Called Hydrogear and they don't recommend popping the cap since it risks damaging the membrane that prevents water vapor from entering the transmission. They recommend removing the entire 9/16" fitting.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned mine is a Snapper mower with a Tuff Torq K56 tranny. I do not think I was able to get it all out but over half came out. Was planning to do round 2 soon and replenish the fluid.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have done the vacuum it out but find replacing it to be a very slow and tedious gravity feed process. Any suggestions to refill faster.

Racinjason suggests removing the adjacent breather plug/tube to refill. As an alternative method, I am thinking of a temporarily replacing the filler plug with a sae 9/16-18 plug with a barb fitting attached to a tygon tube 1 quart fluid transfer pump. Next, I would then attach my easyvac suction tube to the breather plug/tube and pump the easyvac to pull a vacuum. Hopefully, I will be able to fluid transfer pump and fill. I never done this before so any comment would be welcome to refine the process.

@spk2000 How qts were you able to vacuum out? Were you able to remove 100% of the transmission oil?
Just adding to this thread:

I have a Hustler sport (2013) and a few years ago went about replacing the hydro oil just for preventative reasons -- I was not experiencing any issues or symptoms... I only did the left side at the time, as the fill plug was more accessible and I used Amsoil 20w50 full synthetic. I used an oil extractor similar to a MityVac. I decided to do this again this weekend, as it has been a few years, and this time I was more perseverant on accessing the other fill port. My 1/4" allen wrench was too tall, given the frame/obstruction, to fit the right side fill plug, so I found a 1/4 hex socket adapter and used a 1/4" open ended wrench to turn it. Very tight and finnicky access, but I managed to get it done, and vacuum extract about 2.5l of oil in total from both drives while it was still fairly hot.
  1. So with a capacity of 1.75qt / 1.65l per drive, that means I left about 400ml of oil in each drive. When extracting, I just used a bit of force to get the nylon tube down and around as far as I could...does anyone know if there is a position other than level, that is optimal for extraction out the fill port? For example, raising the front? Or any other tricks / tips for maximum extraction?
  2. I wonder removing the vent plug and trying extraction through there would yield more extracted oil? Thoughts on this anyone?
  3. Ideally I would remove, invert and drain these drives, but that is much more work as noted in this thread. Hopefully with extracting about 75-80% of the oil and replacing with new oil, and then changing it more often, that is almost as good. What I don't know is if there is likely to be any amount of sludge or residue that I am unable to get out using the extracting method.
I have not refilled yet as I need to get some more 20w50, but when I do, may try to remove the 9/16 vent fitting. Did anyone ever try extending the vent tube with filter as suggested earlier.

Back