Hydro-Gear ZT-2800s - What oil & what filter?

Just bought a new-to-me zero turn with ZT-2800s. It's 6 years old and only has 230 hours on it. Hydro oil reservoir is a little dark, so I'm changing it out of caution. I've never serviced hydros before, but I'm not stupid. Based on my research through countless threads here, Hydro-Gear's website, and the internet abroad I've drawn my initial assumptions.

Oil:
I feel these hydros need a XW-50. It seems they're specified for a 50 that's SJ rated. I plan to use a full synthetic oil regardless of recommendations. My top 3 picks (not in order) after some research (I'm seeking peak protection/performance first, cheap and available second) are:
Mobil 1 15W-50
Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 (European)
NAPA 15W-50

If you think I'm overlooking a good candidate, please chime in.

Filter:
I have no idea at all! I need some help. The only thing I know to do is go to my mower brand dealer and ask for two filters. I'm hoping for an easy cross reference to a WIX or NAPA Gold product, but if the dealer filters are best, then that's what I'll do. Regardless, if it's not a truly perfect cross reference, I don't want it. Saving a few dollars and rolling the dice is not worth replacing 2 hydros. Ever.

Any input is appreciated.

It wasn't a Hydro-Gear but I did run a 15W-40 in my Tuff-Torq for a season. The only downside is that it was very touchy when cold. Meaning it didn't take much of a control input to make the mower move and changing speed/direction could be a little 'abrupt'. Once it warmed up, which was fairly quick, it smoothed out to normal.

Just FYI on what the 'thicker' 15W oils do in them.

*EDIT* Looks like it was specc'ed for 20W50 anyways, so it should work just fine on any of those.

I've got Mobil1 5W50 in it now. Can't remember what version of it, got it at Napa.

Wix Part number is a WL10102
HG Part# HG52114

Last edited:
I have same hydro unit on my SCAG
OEM filters are my only recommendation for filters.
M1 is a great choice but I am running Amsoil AHF 20W50 purpose built for this app very very happy with feel and response.

I have same hydro unit on my SCAG
OEM filters are my only recommendation for filters.
M1 is a great choice but I am running Amsoil AHF 20W50 purpose built for this app very very happy with feel and response.
I did not know this particular oil existed. Admittedly, I'm not fluent at all in Amsoil. I would think this is the ultimate oil for this application, however, the cheapest price I see is >$12 per quart. I understand that in comparison to Hydro-Gear's kit, this is still peanuts. My real question is this:

If I choose this Amsoil product over the products I originally listed, will I *really* see enough benefit to justify the cost difference? I can get both Mobil products for $5.49 per quart at NAPA right now, and they usually have their 15W-50 on sale several times a year for well under $4 per quart.

Also, this Amsoil product claims to go double the OEM recommendation for service interval. I don't know if I'd actually trust it, so there's another reason I'm leaning toward the other offerings. It sounds like I'm convincimg myself to not buy Amsoil, but I promise I'm actually intrigued by it. Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

Wix WL10102 = Napa Gold 400102

I would go with Mobil 1 15W50.
Priceless! (y)

I thoroughly analyzed the specs for these. They are identical filters, just like the rest of their offerings. WIX directly cross references the Hydro-Gear filter, so I can sleep at night. So unquestionably for $8.84 each (roughly half of that during their filter sale), NAPA Gold 400102 it is. Now if they'd just announce their **** filter sale dates, I'd be all set. I need a LOT of filters and they're killing me with this stalling tactic. The clock is ticking if it's going to be in March as usual... :mad:

Just bought a new-to-me zero turn with ZT-2800s. It's 6 years old and only has 230 hours on it. Hydro oil reservoir is a little dark, so I'm changing it out of caution. I've never serviced hydros before, but I'm not stupid. Based on my research through countless threads here, Hydro-Gear's website, and the internet abroad I've drawn my initial assumptions.

Oil:
I feel these hydros need a XW-50. It seems they're specified for a 50 that's SJ rated. I plan to use a full synthetic oil regardless of recommendations. My top 3 picks (not in order) after some research (I'm seeking peak protection/performance first, cheap and available second) are:
Mobil 1 15W-50
Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 (European)
NAPA 15W-50

If you think I'm overlooking a good candidate, please chime in.

Filter:
I have no idea at all! I need some help. The only thing I know to do is go to my mower brand dealer and ask for two filters. I'm hoping for an easy cross reference to a WIX or NAPA Gold product, but if the dealer filters are best, then that's what I'll do. Regardless, if it's not a truly perfect cross reference, I don't want it. Saving a few dollars and rolling the dice is not worth replacing 2 hydros. Ever.

Any input is appreciated.
M1 15-50 has been the standard factory fill for ZT 2800's. Your mower may have a sticker that says that. Older Exmark mowers will have that sticker as well as Ferris and Toro brands. I have used M1 for years when servicing hydros. For a filter I would use a Hydro Gear brand filter however I have had good results with "generic" filters from Stens, Oregon, etc.

So it looks like I can get the vanilla Mobil 1 15W-50 and Mobil 1 Euro 5W-50 I linked above, but I also saw today at my local NAPA that they have the vanilla Mobil 1 5W-50 as well.

Strictly regarding these three oils, which is the best candidate for these hydros if they are all the same price? Any benefit using the Euro 5W over the vanilla 5W?

Without any research, my gut says to try the Euro 5W, but I always do my homework first. Just don't have time until tonight.

So it looks like I can get the vanilla Mobil 1 15W-50 and Mobil 1 Euro 5W-50 I linked above, but I also saw today at my local NAPA that they have the vanilla Mobil 1 5W-50 as well.

Strictly regarding these three oils, which is the best candidate for these hydros if they are all the same price? Any benefit using the Euro 5W over the vanilla 5W?

Without any research, my gut says to try the Euro 5W, but I always do my homework first. Just don't have time until tonight.
20W50 Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, if you want to run a synthetic or 20W50 Valvoline 4T Synthetic.
I certainly WOULD NOT use a 5W50.
15W50 Mobil 1 will work.
If I recall, Hustler calls for a hydro oil and filter change every 200 hours, according to their maintenance schedule.
Hydro-Gear calls for a hydro oil and filter change every 400 hours, according to their service manual.
I plan on a 200 hour schedule for my Toro.
This is right out of Hydro-Gear’s 2021 service and repair manual on Page 9.

ZT-2800/ZT-3100/ZT-3200/ZT-3400
Fluid Description
20W50 engine oil
Correct oil volume is determined by characters 7 and 13 of the model number. (Z*-****-X***-***X*)

Last edited:
Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin (High Zinc and thick at temp)
(or Mobil 1 15W-50)
and
Original Hydrogear filters - no bypass valve or adbv

- Thats what I did on my ZT-2800 drives

20W50 Valvoline Advanced Synthetic, if you want to run a synthetic or 20W50 Valvoline 4T Synthetic.
Why these and not VR1? Not being a critic, just trying to figure out what drives opinions because this is a topic I don't know much about. I love Valvoline, but they never seem to be cheap enough for me to bite (which means unlike XOM & SOPUS, they have their marketing strategy figured out.
I certainly WOULD NOT use a 5W50.
15W50 Mobil 1 will work.
I'm curious about why you wouldn't use a 5W-50 but approve of the 15W-50? To me, the 5W wouldn't be tar when it first starts and still is a 50 when hot. They seem to be fairly similar on tbe PDS sheet. The 5W-50 just has a little less Phosphorus and Zinc...

20210323_031702.jpg

20210323_031603.jpg

20210323_031804.jpg

20210323_031837.jpg

#1: Did you read the service manual?
#2: There are many professional landscapers @LawnSite.com using the Mobil 1 15W50, with good results.
#3: Dealing with hydrostatic transaxles and not engines.

Right out of the Hustler Service Manual:
MPORTANT: Never use hydraulic or automatic transmis-
sion fluid in this system; use only motor oil as specified. Remember, dirt is the primary enemy of any hydraulic system.
The hydraulic expansion tank is located in front of the engine and under the operator’s platform. Figure 4-9
Check oil level in hydraulic system after every 50 hours of operation or weekly, whichever occurs first. Check more often if system appears to be leaking or otherwise malfunctioning.
Fluid level should be at the “Full Cold” line on the expansion tank. Use only SAE 20W50 SL/SM service motor oil.
Initial system oil and filter change must be after the first 75 hours of use or 1 year whichever comes first. Thereafter, replace filter and oil in each transmission every 2 years or 200 hours, whichever comes first. NOTE: The filter guard must be removed to access filter.
Each transmission’s filter is located per Figure 4-10. A stan- dard oil filter wrench is used to change filter, threads are right handed. Use a Hustler® approved filter element only.

I really don't think there be a problem using 5w50.

Back