Hydraulic Fluid for John Deere 770

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping somebody here would have some more current data on hydraulic fluids for compact tractors. I've read the other posts here (Thanks Neil!) and I'm leaning towards JD Hy-gard because of availibility, but I would like some recommendations from the experts.

Bought my tractor used, it has 831 hours on the factory fill probably from its build date in 1992. It lubes the final drives, transmission, power steering, PTO rockshaft, loader etc. I'm fairly certian it is a dry clutch.

Before working it this year, I'd like to change the filter and fluid. Any recommedations?

Amsoil has a tractor hydraulic fluid

Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil, SAE 5W-30
AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil is an "all weather" Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO) engineered to meet the tough demands of heavy-duty, hydraulic-powered farm and commercial equipment. Its unique formulation of synthetic base stocks and additives effectively reduces wear, resists heat, protects against rust and extends fluid and equipment service life. AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil is recommended for extended oil drains based on oil analysis

I have a small engine shop that uses this for the hydraulics on mowers with great success so far.

Most all the tractor hydraulic oils from the quality major manufactures do a wonderful job. I spent 23 years working on equipment mostly forklifts. There are very few failures with hydraulic / trans systems from an oil failure ,usually a part breaks from abuse ,poor quality parts or lack of proper service procedures.

I've been running the AMSOIL ATH in all our farm tractors for 11 years now. I have over 3000 hrs on my 4 wheel drive and have only changed the filters. Not the fluid. JD requires 1200hr fluid changes on the 4450 that I own. The fluid is like new when I change out the filter every 500hrs.
The JD Torque Guard and HyGuard is a very good oil as is all the JD lubricants. If it is readily available then by all means use it.

Don,

"Hats off" to you for stating your excellent results with Amsoil while still showing respect for the competition! That's class!

Cheers.

Thanks guys!

I'd like to go synthetic in it, but can't justify the cost. I would be surprise to break 1000 hrs total in 3 yrs. In fact I've owned it for nearly 4 months now and have only ran in for about 10 minutes!

Any other "cost effective" dino oils that you recommend?

Crashz

Your going to be hard pressed to beat JD Hy-gard. You might want to look into Chevron and Pennzoil Hydra- Tranz as a price comparison. If you use the tractor in winter see if JD Low-vis Hy-gard is suitable.

I use Schaeffers Torque Converter fluid in my JD and Massey tractors. My last purchase was about $65.00 for a five gallon can.

Check out the lubrizol.com site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back