hybrid transmissions

I have a question about hybrid transmissions. Seems most of them have the "traction motor" in the transmission themselves. If the traction motor goes bad do you have to replace the whole transmission?

thanks

I have a question about hybrid transmissions. Seems most of them have the "traction motor" in the transmission themselves. If the traction motor goes bad do you have to replace the whole transmission?

thanks
As a general rule yes. You can't buy just the motor for the transmission from the manufacturer but you maybe able to get one from a wrecked car in a junk yard.

What model? I mean, surely some are stratospheric. But Prius transmission is probably peanuts.

As a general rule yes. You can't buy just the motor for the transmission from the manufacturer but you maybe able to get one from a wrecked car in a junk yard.
Probably true, but motor failures are rare on common hybrids. Unless it's abused somehow, there's not much to fail in a brushless motor except (eventually) the bearings.

I am looking at the Ford Marwick Hybrid FYI
Could go either way. If Ford only makes a handful, then any failure may be expensive, low demand and low number of cores. If it's the same transmission as they use elsewhere, then maybe it'll be cheap and plentiful; all indications are that it will be robust, due to being an eCVT. If one knows the transmission p/n then it could be looked up, otherwise it's a wait and see scenario, just like any other new model: wait for a few years, see what the trends look like.

Could go either way. If Ford only makes a handful, then any failure may be expensive, low demand and low number of cores. If it's the same transmission as they use elsewhere, then maybe it'll be cheap and plentiful; all indications are that it will be robust, due to being an eCVT. If one knows the transmission p/n then it could be looked up, otherwise it's a wait and see scenario, just like any other new model: wait for a few years, see what the trends look like.
Golden rule. Never buy the first model year of anything.

I am looking at the Ford Marwick Hybrid FYI
Traditionally, Ford based their hybrid systems off Toyota’s patents - for the exception of the F-150 Powerboost. If the Maverick is anything like the Escape/Fusion Hybrid, the whole unit is scrapped.

However, Ford and Toyota eCVT units have proven reliable.

Traditionally, Ford based their hybrid systems off Toyota’s patents - for the exception of the F-150 Powerboost. If the Maverick is anything like the Escape/Fusion Hybrid, the whole unit is scrapped.

However, Ford and Toyota eCVT units have proven reliable.
My recollection is that Ford and Toyota had both developed very similar in-house hybrid systems and decided to patent-share on the matter; a cooperation rather than competition. Both brought knowledge to the table which led to better products for both brands.

Probably true, but motor failures are rare on common hybrids. Unless it's abused somehow, there's not much to fail in a brushless motor except (eventually) the bearings.
Some first gen prius's suffered early motor winding failures but it wasn't very common. I would consider ecvt's to be more durable than a regular slush box as there's just planetary gears and motors, eliminating all those clutch packs that wear out.

base on my neighbor paying 10k to replace his cvt transmission in his Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan CVT is notorious for breaking down easily, so it’s not a good candidate to represent the whole field, what comes to the longevity of CVTs.

Last edited:
Back