Hybrid Sales Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. There really is a lot of misinformation floating around about hybrids.

1. There is no disposal issue with NiMH batteries. They are totally recyclable, and Toyota has built a plant just waiting for them to start coming in - but none have yet. Battery life is not a problem yet. Some hybrids have gone over 200,000 mi without battery failure. The 12v lead-acid battery is much more of a disposal problem I think.

2. Ultra-capacitors are not currently used in any hybrids, but may well be in the future if a way is devised to control the discharge rate of the capacitor. They charge up quickly but discharge at the same rate or faster, making them a poor source of steady power.

3. Current cost of a replacement battery for a Prius is about $1200. I spent more on transmissions in our last POS Neon with less than 70,000 miles.

4. Hybrids have no problems with cold climates. Like all other vehicles, the mileage suffers in cold weather - I averaged 42 mpg over the last 2 winters with my Prius as opposed to 50 mpg in the summer.

5. Owning my Prius is very 'materialistic'. It is fun to drive, has lots of room. all the amenities, and keeps a little more 'material' in my wallet at the same time. I had an Echo before the Prius but it was a bit too small and noisy but VERY reliable. The Prius is a car that can be both a 'fat ride' and 'green' at the same time.

I have over 30,000 mi. on my Prius and haven't had any problems yet. Never made it that far with our Chrysler products before they had to go back to the dealer for something. The best warranty is one you never need to use, but the drivetrain and hybrid components are covered for 100,000 mi. by Toyota. If you want to really learn more about people's experiences with the Prius, go to Priuschat.com. There is a lot of good info there and might change some minds about hybrids.

quote:

Originally posted by pa04prius:
The 12v lead-acid battery is much more of a disposal problem I think.

No, it's not--the 12v lead-acid battery is quite recyclable and there are many places that accept them for recycling.

It's great that Toyota has built a plant to recycle their NiMH packs. Does Toyota have a core charge on these batteries which is refunded upon their return to encourage recycling of them?

EDIT: Will the average wrecking yard know how to deal with these batteries when these cars start showing up there?

If gas prices stay over $2/gal. I would expect to see turbo diesels become more popular. Turbos, common rail fuel injection and computer control has made today's diesels much cleaner, quieter and more responsive than those of 10 years ago. Making the public aware of that is the challenge.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
....Making the public aware of that is the challenge.

but when you sit in city traffic beside a soot-belching mullet in his 4x4 dualie diesel that sounds like a dying thrashing machine, it's hard to sway public opinion favorably.

Yeah, i want to be like bubba the mullet....

My recent trips to Germany exposed me to several modern turbo diesels and I was convinced that I WOULD get one of those.

But I wouldn't give you warmed over cowpatty for a typical US diesel today.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Turbos, common rail fuel injection and computer control has made today's diesels much cleaner, quieter and more responsive than those of 10 years ago. Making the public aware of that is the challenge.

They're certainly getting better, but gasoline engines still burn much cleaner. Emissions issues will be the most difficult obstacle for diesels to become common in North America.

does anybody know the projected life span of the electrical components in a hybrid? dont they have a humongous starter/ generator? Brushes, bearings and the switching components involved?

Nobody's addressed the repairability of hybrids... or are they perfect with no need for repairs during the lifetime? Who is trained to repair hybrids? Not my local neighborhood mechanic.

BTW lead-acid batteries are 95% recycled. Reclamation is done offshore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back