Hybrid/LPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
A what/if scenario. With gas/electric hybrid being the short term solution to increasing fuel efficency, and let us assume all the minor problems of refueling infrastructures and storage etc. of LPG were resolved.

If a major auto maker, such as GM or Ford were to convert their all their gasoline models over to a LPG powered gas/electric hybrids, what effect would this have on the existing LPG supply and production capabilities as they exist today? Could production keep up with demand?

What we could have here is an opportunity for a major, or even a minor, automaker to sell LPG gas/electric vehicles. They could also control the refueling of these vehicles. Instead of going to a convenience store to fill up, you need to go to a dealer for a fill up. Would seem enticing to a dealer. Or, the automakers would build and staff refueling "stations", with full service and no self serve. I am unsure if this would be a good or bad thing. Just some food for thought.

I'm not sure where you're going with this.. LPG has less energy per gallon than gas and costs more. the only benefit is that the emmissions are better. the infrastructure does exist for LPG, as well as storage methods.. just look for a place that services RV's. I can think of at least 20 places around me (southern Maine)to fill up.

as far as production/supply goes... it'd just push the price up even higher (ugh...) than it already is.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Propane is costly.But in the future methane would work .

Methane is more difficult to use as a vehicle fuel than LPG. It isn't practicle to compress methane to a liquid and carry it in a vehicle. Methane storage is a -lot- bulkier and heavier than LPG or gasoline for the same amount of energy.

Right now you would be doing good to get 15% of the range of a gas powered vehicle with high pressure propane tanks that occupied the same volume as a conventional gas tank.

Isn't LPG a byproduct of gasoline or something? If that's true and we decrease gas useage, LPG supply would go down...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
dang! seemed like a good idea. I thought methane was like natural gas.

Epic thread revival; i am researching LPG at the moment.

methane is not natural gas but you do get a lot methane from Coal Seam Gas. there is a new seam being worked about 40 miles away from me.

Australia has MASSIVE amounts of natural gas from which LPG can be gained. 80% directly from wells and only 20% of LPG is from the fuel refinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back