Hybrid insurance going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gees..who'da thunk Prius drivers were getting more tickets than the average. The ones I get behind should only be ticketed for impeding traffic.

What the article doesn't mention is that on average, hybrid owners tend to live in large cities, where they are more prone to accidents and tickets. This is probably true for any vehicle. It's not the drivers per se.

Either way, the insurance companies are correct in saying that, on average, if you have a hybrid that you're more likely to get into an accident.

Perhaps it would be more fair to see where the hybrid is driven (city vs rural) when assessing risk.

Oh, they know your zip code, and have a rate multiplier for that, as well as what car you drive. Double whammy!

IMO it's why the Camaro had to take a few years off, the insurance premiums assumed you were a 17 year old kid with two wrecks under his belt even if you weren't.

Quote:
For some hybrid owners, the decreased guilt associated with improved fuel-efficiency might actually increase the number of pleasure trips.

Buwaaaahaaaa - who said greenieweenies are all out to save the human race?

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Gees..who'da thunk Prius drivers were getting more tickets than the average. The ones I get behind should only be ticketed for impeding traffic.

Maybe they do get ticketed for impeding traffic. I've heard that cops are enforcing left-lane rules a bit more than they used to.

Driving slower isn't always safer. One fine example is merging onto a highway. You don't really want to merge onto a busy 65MPH highway at 30MPH..

Remember, Al Gore III-the one who's being hit by a car caused AlGore to take up the AGW crusade-got stopped in San Diego for doing 100 mph in a Prius.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Remember, Al Gore III-the one who's being hit by a car caused AlGore to take up the AGW crusade-got stopped in San Diego for doing 100 mph in a Prius.

Yeah, he got caught with pot in his car too.

That'll raise your insurance rate!

Really high.
banana2.gif

It only makes sense those driving more are the ones buying hybrids. You pay more up front for lower per mile costs.

I wonder how those figures would be if fully adjusted for miles driven, age, location, etc.

Cops ticketing left lane abusers? Couldn't happen soon enough.

Should be easy enough to pick off those in the left lane with nobody around or a big string behind them.

LOL.gif

Although, I thought that particular drug was not prone to make you want to do things with any quickness...

Maybe he was making a 13 taco run and forgot the milk and cookies.

Maybe the Prius data is capturing the Latte-sipping-and-simultaneous-cell-phone-talking-while-driving demographic?

How are you going to get your money's worth out of a hybrid if you don't drive the beejesus out of it? I would think mega commuters who put 30k miles a year would buy them. More driving and a higher chance you'll be in a car accident. Car insurance got it right.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They probably are getting killed in battery pack costs.

bingo. im not sure about other makes, but when a ford hybrid gets into an accident if there is any damage whatsoever to the traction battery it has to be replaced. last i checked MSRP was about 9k give or take a little bit, which is what the insurance would get charged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: ZZman
They probably are getting killed in battery pack costs.

bingo. im not sure about other makes, but when a ford hybrid gets into an accident if there is any damage whatsoever to the traction battery it has to be replaced. last i checked MSRP was about 9k give or take a little bit, which is what the insurance would get charged.

The batteries are nowhere near that expensive. A new one for a Prius is under $2500, for the Camry, a tad more. I made the dealership parts department look it up for me before I would buy the Prius. The $10k battery thing is just another one of those ever so popular anti-hybrid myths. Bingo? No, total nonsense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back