Hybrid Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I drove a friend to a Toyota dealer to pick up a new Scion tC. I got to talk to the saleman and he mentioned an 06 Camry Hybrid coming, and they were already starting a waiting list for it. I signed up. I believe I am the 5th or 6th person on the list. I wasn't very serious about buying it then, but I signed up so I could test drive it when it arrives. If I choose not to buy it, they will simply move on to the next person. There is no option for color, etc, you bascially take what they got.
At the current gas price, I am more and more leaning towards buying it regardless its options. If it turns out to be a hideous color, I am sure I would have no problem selling it, for it being a hybrid. I have heard one-year-old Prius sold more than the purchase price. If I like it I would simply trade in my existing 2002 Camry. What do you think?

I don't know... With normal SIMPLE Camrys getting mid 30's MPG and you can deal with price and what you want, thats where I'd be going.
grin.gif

I've been on a 300 mile trip in my co-workers Prius and it was underpowered and got terrible gas mileage since you have to flog it's small motor. (I don't know if the same engine is going to be in the Camry?
confused.gif
)

Where my Corolla did the same trip and I had to down shift only once into 4th. Then I still was able to maintain 65 mph where he was maxed out around 50-55.

I also got about 33% better MPG than it. The Batteries don't do a thing on long trips.
spaz.gif

Go down to the dealership and talk to the guys who are trained (most Toyota shops only have one or two trained for Hybrids maint) and ask them what they think and compaired to a normal Camry. I think you'll find like I did they are not hot on hybrids...
frown.gif

My 3 cents... Take care! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Good luck on whichever way you decide to go. I'm less than 3 weeks away from the 1st year with my Toyota and it's been an excellent outfit.
worshippy.gif

Oh Yeah, Check out the real world experiences of Hybrid driving in latest Consumers Report. YOU CAN REDUCE MILEAGE CLAIMS BY A WHOPPING 46%!!

And speaking of hybrid 'speculating,' if enough people buy Honda and Toyota hybrids, then maybe they'll go out of business, as they're actually losing money on each one. One might even say they are 'dumping' hybrids on us....

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
And speaking of hybrid 'speculating,' if enough people buy Honda and Toyota hybrids, then maybe they'll go out of business, as they're actually losing money on each one. One might even say they are 'dumping' hybrids on us....

Ehhh, that was 5 years ago. Both honda and toyota are making profits on all their hybrid models. Why would toyota sell 70k Priuses in the US alone this year, expand the number of hybrid models and predict that by 2010 25% of their product in the US will be hybrids? Have you seen what kind of premiums dealers are charging just to get on the list to buy a hybrid? You just have a personal vendetta against these cars. Get over it Hybrids are here to stay.
If people keep buying these thing, GM will be out of business.
quote:

Originally posted by H2GURU:
Oh Yeah, Check out the real world experiences of Hybrid driving in latest Consumers Report. YOU CAN REDUCE MILEAGE CLAIMS BY A WHOPPING 46%!!

You realize thats still 42mpg for a mid size car (Prius) with AC and automatic trasmission in mixed city and highway driving? WHOPPING!!!

Alright, sit back down! Can't you spot tongue-in-cheek? I was just collecting and commenting on some recent automotive sales and marketing myths and hysteria. Hybrids are truly wonderful technological showcases and transportation appliances.
A personal vendetta? Ouch. Oh yeah, well, then you are the self-proclaimed poster-boy and spokesmodel for them.
But yes, like you, I do hope GM goes out of business. But they won't need any help from Honda or Toyota, as they are plenty capable of falling on their own sword and slowly, painfully, loudly, and publicly bleeding to death.

We've got Priuses at work, and use them in a rural environment.

Workmates with Spewgeot turbodiesels get better mileage.

When we head to the city, the hybrids work, and seem to work well.

I think I'll take the 41 MPG Corrola and forego the 2nd powerplant with its battery hassles and concede to the Prius' ONE MPG advantage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back