Hybrid Battery Cost-- No Reason to Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.
downsized_1102091230.jpg

thats a nice warning message. its on above battery.

ya, we are supposed to put a 10 foot "zone of death" around any hybrid we work on regardless of the battery being deactivated or not. Ford also sent out a special tool which is a long wooden stick to hit the person working on the car with when they get shocked and start burning before they die.

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
I don't mean to be offensive, but feel led to say, I personally dislike the Prius, and everything it stands for, and I'm not ashamed to say it. Just my opinion. Would love to see "clean" turbo-diesels get popular in the U.S. market instead. They offer just as many mpg, sometimes more, and offer more power. That being said, I realize this will not happen here in the U.S.

What do you think the Prius stands for?

For me, a big part of what the Prius (and other high mpg options) stand for is reducing the amount of money sent to the middle east and moving us in the direction of energy independence, while still meeting transport needs. I support those goals, and 90% of my driving is with one or two people and not much gear in the car, which is why I recently bought an Insight. I didn't buy it because I love hybrids. I don't, I think its an interim technology that we should move past ASAP.

I agree with a lot of the concerns expressed in this thread about hybrids (not cost-effective at current gas prices and longer term concerns about battery replacement), and share the desire for a lot more turbo diesel options in the US - but the hybrids are currently the best high mpg technology that the automakers are delivering to us in the US (save a couple of turbo diesel options in cars I either can't afford or prefer not to drive).

I don't think anyone claims a Prius or Insight will substitute for a truck (towing/plowing/hauling) or a mini-van (hauling 4 kids and two dogs), but they meet lots of needs and have their place.

On the battery pack issue - future replacement is a concern, but mine has a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty, so I am willing to take my chances. While I prefer to run a car longer than that, its not a bad car lifetime. Also, some have suggested (though I don't know if they are correct) that the design of the Insight is such that it should just turn into a somewhat sluggish 35 mpg car (my guess) with some useless electrical equipment as ballast if a person decided to drive it with a dead battery pack.

For what it is, the Prius is pretty darn functional. It's also pretty reliable too, considering the fact the car is more complex than a BMW or Mercedes. It's a liberal icon, but I believe the Prius is one small step towards a bigger solution to wean us off Middle Eastern crack cocaine(oil).

If only more car companies can also push diesels as well, I refuse to own a VW or any other German car save for a Mercedes, Porsche or BMW in my lifetime. Diesels are the best solution in a truck - it's a happy balance between efficiency, power, and being "green" if that means anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
ya, we are supposed to put a 10 foot "zone of death" around any hybrid we work on regardless of the battery being deactivated or not. Ford also sent out a special tool which is a long wooden stick to hit the person working on the car with when they get shocked and start burning before they die.

When I worked at Honda, we didn't follow the perimeter of death. Here's a little fact about Honda's battery pack/computer/cooling module they call the IPU(Intelligent Power Unit) - the kill switch on the battery is very, very similar to a common household circuit breaker. The fuse inside of the IPU and battery pack is the same as a cartridge house fuse - just in case a fuse fails you can get one at Home Depot instead of the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back