HVAC fan speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was visiting my brother and sister in-law. My sister in-law has a 01 Chrysler Town and Country. It has auto climatic control. She said the fan speed has been stuck on high for the last 6 months. She took it to a local mechanic, and they told her she would have to take it to a Chrysler dealer.

Does anybody know what would cause the fan to stick on the high setting? What parts would need to be replaced to fix this problem? I can only imagine how much it will cost at a Chrysler dealer.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like the resister is only $22.00. I looked up the problem on Google. It seems this is all to common on the 01-05 T&C. It looks like a clogged cabin filter doesn't help the problem either. I highly doubt they have ever changed the cabin the filter. The van has 130,000 miles.

It was my sister in-laws mothers before she passed away. Her dad gave it to my sister in-law back in 2003. They live in the prarie east of Denver. All it does is blow dirt out there, so the cabin filter is probably blocked like no other.

Thanks again for the quick info.
11.gif

Is it stuck on high like you said or does the fan only work on high.

If it's stuck on high it could be something as simple as a broken fan speed control knob. Had this happen recently on our Xterra (and, of course, the knob is not available from the dealer without buying the entire HVAC control unit.
mad.gif
)

If it only works on high, then, yes, it's probably the resistor.

I replaced my '05 Caravan blower motor resistor this past winter. Definitely a diy job. Finding it is the hardest part, as each model/brand is different.

I was shocked that I could buy the OEM replacement CHEAPER at the dealer than from NAPA, Autozone, etc.. A few aftermarket places seemed to have trouble making sure they had the right one in their catalog listing.

Originally Posted By: Canawler

It's stuck on high. I tried to mess around with the buttons to lower the fan speed. Nothing worked.

Originally Posted By: Canawler

If it's stuck on high it could be something as simple as a broken fan speed control knob. Had this happen recently on our Xterra (and, of course, the knob is not available from the dealer without buying the entire HVAC control unit.
mad.gif
)

If it only works on high, then, yes, it's probably the resistor.

LOL.gif
My daughters had a habit of SNAPPING the selector to "O" (no ventilation) on my jeep. The knob is a metal "D" cast inside plastic. It breaks. Luckily, the knobs are all the same and they are available.

I never quite figured out how to get the proper corrective action out of the kids on this item in terms of altering their behaviors. I think that my reaction is aggravated by the long list of "numb to the consequences even though informed of the liabilities " behaviors over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back