HVAC blower device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about a device that can be added to cars to prevent mildew from growing on the evaporator thus causing the dreaded AC stink. Some cars, I'm told, will run the blower fan for a few minutes after turning the car off if the AC compressor has been on for a long time.

A "Car care" book from Popular Mechanics mentioned that there are aftermarket versions of this than can be added to any car. I can't find any reference to them on-line. Does anyone have one or know anything about them?

BTW, I understand how easy it should be to turn off the compressor a couple of blocks from home. I really do understand this.

Thanks.

There is an "afterblow" module that is available from GM/Ac-Delco that wires into the blower circuit to run the blower on high for several minutes after the ignition is turned off. It's pricey though, $320.79 on RockAuto.

ACDELCO Part # 155876

Some newer cars with a Body Control Module in its electrical system can simply be programmed to do this using a dealer scan tool as well, eliminating the need for the add-on module.

my Volvo has "afterblow" activated. about 60 mins after shutdown it will turn the blower motor on to clear out the ducts.

Last edited:
I can't stand it on my Malibu. Every time. You can smell it without even turning the fan on once you get in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back