Hustler X One Hydrostatic Oil.

Hello Folks,

I have a Hustler X One Zero Turn Mower and I am getting ready to change out the hydrostatic oil. The manual has five different types of oil that I can use and I am going to go with one of the following two oils: Castrol Edge 5w50 and Shell Rotella T6 5w40. What are the pros and cons between the two oils being used in this system? Which oil would you fine folks recommend?

Jason

The Hustler manual calls for 20W50. Parker lists some of those that you noted. Parker also states that a 15W40 is a minimum requirement for other oils. Lots of people use Mobil 1 15W50. That would be an excellent choice.

Last edited:
I have Castrol 5w50 running in several customer mower hydros without issue, and have been using it in my own Deere G110 with a K66 for years. Mobil 1 15w50 would be okay too, but I would definitely use a Xw50 oil.

If they are hydro gear drives they call for 20-50. My Ferris has 3400s and it calls for 20-50, my Wright stander has separate pumps and motors, it calls for Mobil 1 15-50 by name.

I put M1 15-50 in both. The filters are important, hydraulic filters aren't made like car filters, buy hydraulic filters for them

Good advice from thastinger. With those Parker units, a quality synthetic 15W50 or 20W50 would be perfect. Mobil 1 for the 15W50 or Valvoline for the 20W50. Or, you can buy the Parker branded hydro oil. Yes, filters are very important. Do Not use automotive oil filters. Use those specific to Parker hydraulic systems.

Last edited:
Good advice from thastinger. With those Parker units, a quality synthetic 15W50 or 20W50 would be perfect. Mobil 1 for the 15W50 or Valvoline for the 20W50. Or, you can buy the Parker branded hydro oil. Yes, filters are very important. Do Not use automotive oil filters. Use those specific to Parker hydraulic systems.
Would that be for the burst pressure of the efficiency?

I’ve used Mobil1 15w50 in my 1998 K61 Tuff Torq for many years. It still runs like it did when it was new.

HydroGear also lists a handful of oil for their drives that recommend 20w50 and although I can't remember them all now, I know they recommend M1 15w50 as a top choice. You can find the list if you do a search. I would think ANY Xw50 syn or not would work fine in any drive that calls for motor oil of that weight. I called HG and was told they actually recommend and fill at the factory with DINO 20w50, and that was all that the drive required, but that there certainly was no harm in using M1 15w50. I used M1 in my HG for years and also in the Sunstrand that was in my antiquie WH 141 Automatic and it was as smooth as silk, still is today.

Hydrogear used to comes with Castrol 20W-50 out of the factory....obviously their main concern is the operating temperature number (nobody mows below freezing) - hence the usual Mobil 1 15W-50 sub - for good reason. The oil capacity is very low, and the temperature load is high. I use Mobil 1 20W-50 V-twin because it has the highest ZDDP of almost all the oils I could find on the shelf with the heaviest weight for Arkansas summer. It's a gearbox - so lots of metal to metal so the high zinc should help. The first oilchange at 50hrs - or preferably before and next one at 50hrs would be the ticket.

Hydrogear used to comes with Castrol 20W-50 out of the factory....obviously their main concern is the operating temperature number (nobody mows below freezing) - hence the usual Mobil 1 15W-50 sub - for good reason. The oil capacity is very low, and the temperature load is high. I use Mobil 1 20W-50 V-twin because it has the highest ZDDP of almost all the oils I could find on the shelf with the heaviest weight for Arkansas summer. It's a gearbox - so lots of metal to metal so the high zinc should help. The first oilchange at 50hrs - or preferably before and next one at 50hrs would be the ticket.
Unsure if it is still the case but my Ferris owners manual recommended a hydro oil & filter change at 5 hours, then every 100 after that for my ZT-3400 drives.

Back