Husqvarna 440: hard to turn over

Status
Not open for further replies.
My chainsaw is fairly new, but its had issues running when warm since the 2nd or 3rd time that I've used it. Anymore, its very hard to spin the motor with the pull cord. And impossible to start it, it seems.

I've attempted to ensure that there's not extra fuel in the cylinder by removing the spark plug for extended periods of time (periodically spinning the motor.) The motor spins very easily with no spark plug. I've removed the exhaust and carb, but as long as the spark plug is installed, it remains extremely difficult to turn it over.

I'd love to DIY repair this. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

And you are the first ovner of that saw?

If not...Iam asuming that previous owner has tweaked its compression ratio...

Yes. I'm the original owner.

Thanks for the video... that is very likely the original issue with my saw. Thank you.

I'll reassemble the carb correctly and see if it starts.

Any other ideas about the seemingly high compression?

Last edited:
Are you eating your Wheaties before attempting to start the saw?

edit: deleted content because of a reading comprehension failure... Missed key info already covered in the first post.

Last edited:
I've got a a husquavarna. 3 foot blade. Has a compression release otherwise I'd have to stand on it to pull it over.
Greatest saw I've ever owned.

Thanks for more replies.

No compression release on this saw. I'm using 50:1 gas with Stihl brand oil. Otherwise, I generally not to skimp on 2Cyl oil (as most bitogers would.)

I found no intake leaks that would explain in initial issues.

I'm going to check the flywheel key and reassemble.

Is that a 440e? If so I am 99.99% certain that it has an automatic decompression valve. This is also only a 40cc saw that should be a supereasy to start, so you have some problem. I think that problem is with the decomp valve.
You should also have a spring assisted starter that would make it even easier to pull that rope. Check that too.
Check those things before you dismantle the flywheel, that is a veery uncommon problem with a Husky, it not a Briggs...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back