Husqvarna 32r project

So I got this old thing that seems to be passed down from person to person. An old buddy had it for years, gave it to some neighbor because it wouldnt run. Then that guy couldn't get it running and gave it to another guy who gave it to me.

It leaked fuel, needed a spark plug but overall it looked intact. Threw in a spare plug that somewhat fit and found the leak was the old fuel line where it sealed exiting the tank. I tossed in some newer line that was ill fitting but it did the trick. Got it to run and eventually rev up. Idled like garbage though. That was maybe February. It has a non primer walbro wa199.

Got some time lately so I got some proper ID fuel line but had to drill out the tank hole to work as it had a larger OD. A new filter went in as well. I couldn't find the proper line locally so I just shifted gears and made it work. Got a proper plug and away she went. Revved great but would die when returned to idle. It sometimes idled but not well. I wasn't in the mood for a carb kit yet so I cleaned the main discharge with some spray, pulled the low speed screw and got some spray in. The low speed discharge holes were plugged, one cleaned great but the other not as good. I pulled the muffler, which was really clean and the exhaust side of the piston looked immaculate.

It instantly ran better but not perfect. I had the idle speed screw maxed so I returned it to normal and dialed in the low speed needle. Just under 1.5 turns out and she idled pretty **** fine! I richened the high speed a 1/4 turn so it revved nice and loaded up a touch at full bore, no load.
20200801_204231.jpg
20200801_204208.jpg

I pulled the flex shaft out, gave her a regrease and added some to the gear box. Then rewound the head. It's a slick unit and cost me a couple hours of tinkering time and under twenty bucks in parts.

I need to get a modern twin line bump head and mount kit for a grass blade.

And a couple more... I guess her full body shot needs a resize to load.

Attachments

• 20200801_204152.jpg
    20200801_204152.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 23
Ran it for a bit today to iron out some problems. Fired first pull and idled away on half choke abs then no choke. Ripped for a bit before finding out the string head is not working. Looks like its missing a spring, causing the line to unwind under moderate throttle.

Once in a while it would return to idle, stumble and die. I am sure a full disassembly and cleaning of the carb would cure this.

Next on the list is a new bump head.

A couple of updates. Got an echo something 400 universal bump head with adapters. No dice as the adapter for this unit did not work. Oh well, got another project for it. Found that I cannot follow simple directions. There was a diagram "hidden" that showed the line routing.

Next I picked up a rebuild kit for the carb. Found a genuine walbro at a place called mini tune in the city of saskatoon. 16 bucks.

Disassembly was done and everything cleaned out. Found the usual debris inside and the low speed discharge holes partially clogged. Cleared them with some fine copper wire. The whole thing got a scrub with hot soapy water. The diaphragms were intact but getting hard.

I was elated to have no Welch plugs to deal with. Put it all back and tested it in the morning. Found the thing leaking fuel and hydro locking the cylinder in no time. *** I say. Checked and rechecked but ran out of time.

Today I got some time and easily found my issue. Wrong fuel pump diaphragm. Went by material and color, not by shape. Just cant fix stupid. Now to test her out today.

20200805_231736.jpg
20200805_233519.jpg
20200806_002741.jpg

Alright have another update. Plopped the carb back on. Have both hi and low around 1.5 out. Have a real heavy oil mix, ballpark 30:1. After a fuel pulls she was primed. Fired up and loped well. Let it warm up and tuned the hi and low in about 1/4 turn. She still leaves a light haze on wide open. She will get a steady diet of about 40 to 45:1.

She cracks right open at the blip of the throttle and settles to idle after.

Next up is to pull the clutch and recoil for a cleaning and inspection.

After half a tank worth of cutting, I found her to stall out after letting off after WOT. I figured I would try the idle first before looking at the metering lever height.

I put a tank and a half through her today. Starts first pull and usually just one pull on hot start.

I raised the idle to the point of slight clutch engagement and then backed her off a bit. It won't die now when you back her off of WOT.

I leaned the high speed back 1/8 of a turn but she still 4 strokes on light grass WOT and 3/4 throttle but she is digs in pretty good when completely buried in thick deep grass.

I will run it to the local husky shop tomorrow and try out some heads as I cannot stand the inoperable single line.

I picked up a T25 head for her today. Its not a perfect fit but enough threads engaged to leave no doubt in my mind it will work. I had to trim the guard slightly but that was trivial in the end.

The head worked flawlessly up until it ran out of whatever thin line was in it. She was strung up with some .080 which has worked well for me in the past.

I found she high idles once in a while coming down from WOT so I dropped the idle down. A bit and will test her again. I ordered up a crank seal and will toss that in as a winter project.

20200820_161411.jpg

T25 head works best with .95 line...I'm wondering if you could run the T35 head - that looks awfully small! It's a great head though!

Ya the shop was pretty much sold out. If I recall correctly they had a T35 but a right hand thread. So this was it.

All I have on hand is .080 and .105 line on hand.

The head worked like a charm, cut good, extended good, all the way until the thin what ever line it had was used up.

.105 ought to fit - the 32R ought to have the guts to run it well!

Good Luck - cool project! I have had my Husqvarna 325LX for 20 years now and it runs like a rap^d ape! (muffle mod and tuned carb for about 25% more power)

Back