Humming/whistling noise coming from rear end

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 92k

A couple of days ago I was on my way home from work and hit a pot hole and now this morning on my way in I started hearing a humming and whistling noise at 60mph on the interstate. It’s not constant nor is it extremely deafening, but I can hear it in the cab at said speed. I likened the sound to that of a turbo winding up on a diesel at a red light when taking off.
The pot hole wasn’t a “bad hit” so to speak, but I did notice an audible clunking sound coming from the rear end shortly after. Almost like something small was sliding around in the bed of the truck while driving. Upon inspection of the undercarriage, nothing is jumping out at me as the culprit. Our summer shutdown is coming up at the plant and that’s 19 days straight of work so I’m trying to get this taken care of before then.

Edit: after researching the noise online, the sound has no correlation to the transmission shifting. It does correlate however to starting and stopping and also at 55-65 mph. The sound is definitely more pronounced when listening to the rear end than that of the front end.

Last edited:
I have the exact same vehicle but with 164,000 miles.

Could it be a loose Spring, Clip etc in the 'rear' Drum ?
Also check the Parking Brake Cables inside the Drum for rubbing.

I think I'd start by eliminating what it is not.
1) Pull each drum and look around.
2) Look at rotating parts and see if anything is rubbing under the vehicle.

Good luck.
Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
HUMMING/WHISTLING NOISE COMING FROM your REAR END?

We all do it. Maybe your truck did too-->

1621772010979.jpg

if this began immediately after hitting a pothole chech to see if rear axle was slide back. There is a line up pin that keeps the leaf spring and spring mount seated. if it knocked everything out of alignment it could cause a misaligned driveshaft. Othewise check u-joints, axle bearings, and perhaps pinion bearings.

I have the exact same vehicle but with 164,000 miles.

Could it be a loose Spring, Clip etc in the 'rear' Drum ?
Also check the Parking Brake Cables inside the Drum for rubbing.

I think I'd start by eliminating what it is not.
1) Pull each drum and look around.
2) Look at rotating parts and see if anything is rubbing under the vehicle.

Good luck.
Let us know what you find.
Will do. I’ll check it out when I get back home after work today.

if this began immediately after hitting a pothole chech to see if rear axle was slide back. There is a line up pin that keeps the leaf spring and spring mount seated. if it knocked everything out of alignment it could cause a misaligned driveshaft. Othewise check u-joints, axle bearings, and perhaps pinion bearings.
I’ll give those a look over as well as everything else I may have missed with the low light this morning.

@MasterSolenoid

Update: my mechanic found that the rear U-Joint was bad. He said the needle bearings in the caps were shot. I had him replace both front and rear while he had it in the air.

I now get to troubleshoot my speedometer because setting at a red light this morning completely at idle, the needle would bounce between 0-20mph lol didn’t happen again the rest of the drive to work. When it rains it’s gonna pour I reckon.

I’m thinking the ABS/VSS might have gotten bumped around a bit on the rear end.

Last edited:
Update: my mechanic found that the rear U-Joint was bad. He said the needle bearings in the caps were shot. I had him replace both front and rear while he had it in the air.
My original 'sealed' U-Joints lasted 39,891 miles (out of warranty)
Must not of had enough grease from factory.

Replacement U-Joints have grease fittings.
Still going strong at 165,000 miles.

Recently changed the Upper Control Arms and Front Brake Hoses and Pads.
Also, used my Speedi-Bleed to flush Brake Fluid.
I do the work myself to keep costs down.

I tried using a Vacuum Bleeder for brake fluid, but had air leaks.
Pressure Bleeding was the way to go.

Back