Humming Birds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humming bird's eye view upon upon rapid approach:

16gmioj.jpg

When the birds first get to your area they have flown so far that they extra amount of sugar for energy. I have always simmered it and then let it cool prior to filling the feeders. Right now they are nesting in a tree by the porch. When the babies first appear are so tiny. It is amazing to see anything so small at the feeder

Hair like that would cause a Hummingbird feeding frenzy! It would be like a scene from the old " The Birds" movie.

Run for your life!!.........

I do it once a week. Should probably do it more often. If you leave the sugar water in there too long, especially if the feeder is in direct sunlight, the little guys will be drinking moonshine!

I change my feeder at 5 days or when it gets cloudy, whatever happens first... It's usually almost empty by then anyways!
shocked2.gif
They are little pigs!!!! (But I love 'em)

As for how long does it last in the fridge, it should be fine for a couple of weeks as long as the container is sealed or covered well. This will prevent the sugar-water from absorbing smells in your fridge.

I just make up enough for the feeder the day before in a Pyrex measuring cup and let it sit in the fridge until I use it the next day.

I read that when you clean the feeder, you should clean it with hot-soapy water, then rinse with a bleach/water solution then regular water.

This is because there is usually bacteria in the feeder and/or small dead bugs that the birds have contaminated the feeder with sometimes as they feed.

The bleach/water rinsing step will ensure that the feeder is safe and clean for the little guys. Only takes a little bit of bleach to sanitize the feeder and is a worthwhile step.

grin2.gif

rubythroated_hummingbird.jpg

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I change my feeder at 5 days or when it gets cloudy, whatever happens first

That sounds like an oil change regimen!

Syn food of course. The high revolutions of their wings require it. It also helps clean any crud ourt of their digestive track.

Originally Posted By: MatrixMulisha
Now lets get serious....Dino or Syn hummingbird food
wink.gif
whistle.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Syn food of course. The high revolutions of their wings require it. It also helps clean any crud ourt of their digestive track.
... but NO M1 products because it's not a real Syn and causes high Iron levels in their stool!
LOL.gif

We have 4 feeders on our front porch and 1 on or back patio, we make the clear syrup too, although I must confess with our hectic lives we dont get to clean them as much as yall do. I would love to learn how to photograph hummers with my canon digital rebel dslr. Any photo tips guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back