Hummer H1 Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a sad day. The H1 was the only Hummer I ever had respect for. They finally put the Duramax in it this year too....

H1 Alpha will go in the books as the best Hummer ever.

The part that ****** me off is the fact that they blame fuel mileage. The diesel H1's will get BETTER fuel mileage than the H2 and in some cases, better than the H3.

lol, the diesel H1s get better MPG than the H2 and H3s? Funny. I never would have guessed.
tongue.gif

The Hummer 2 averages 10mpg or 13mpg at best. Heck, the 2007 Escalade SUV with the corvette engine gets 13.0mpg average. ??? So why is everyone bagging on the hummer when SUVs get the same if not a little better MPG than the hummer?

I rode an H1 on some sand dunes near the beach - they are awesome vehicles.

EDIT: Heh check this out: WikiHummer

"These metrics show that the Diesel H1 is expected to reach 16 mpg (U.S.), while the H2 should get 9.6 mpg. Car and Driver magazine observed 12 mpg with their H2 SUV. These ratings are similar to those of other heavy trucks and SUVs."

OriginHacker21, your information on the Escalade is WAY off. The new Escalades use the 6.2L Vortec, which is unrelated to the LS2 'vette motor although the power ratings are comparable. The estimated MPG is 13 city 19 highway AWD and 13 city 20 highway RWD. That's a combined average of 15 or 16, not 13, and is the best in its class.

Back on topic, what everyone fails to mention with the Hummer (and this is the third H1 cancellation topic on this board I've seen in the past week) is that the H1 was always a niche vehicle. It was never meant to appeal to the masses, only to rich people who didn't care about MPG and just wanted it as a status symbol. As evidence, GM sold less than 400 of them last year. The H1 has made a good run, but it's still a niche vehicle and it's time for it to go. It's already made a much longer run than most other niche vehicles. Besides, GM can't be making all that much money off of them. The way everyone decries the cancellation of this vehicle, you'd think they expected to line up at the dealer and put down the $140k it takes to own one. I don't think so.

OK, Matt_S - I'll admit that I don't know much about the Escalade SUV. I do know my friend just bought one and claims it has a corvette engine in it - sure sounds like it does.
grin.gif
I looked at his manual and yes - it does say 6.2L Vortec.

What I am not wrong in is the 13.0 MPG.
grin.gif
On my friend's display it says: Average Fuel Mileage: 13.1mpg. He doesn't drive it hard according to my standards. Maybe it is because of his 24 inch tires?
tongue.gif

Sorry if I struck a chord & thank you for the correction.
cheers.gif

[ May 15, 2006, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: OriginHacker21 ]

No apologies necessary. Mileage mostly depends on the driver's right foot, of course, and the driving style (city or highway), so 13 could be very reasonable depending on what he does. I would like to see an actual mileage calculation, though. GM's MPG indicators are not known to be very accurate.

The military has other designs up it's sleeve. Too bad -- and thankfully, none too funny -- that part of the original mission for the HMMV was in Europe, for, as I recall, the final vehicle (early '80's) was too wide for 40% of all small bridges expected to be traversed.

I always wanted a used Gama Goat. If only the Army hadn't replaced it with the HMMWV! Now all those Goats are old.

Hummer would never exist without the military, now that they have another design up their sleeve, it is time for the general public to "upgrade" to the new Hummer too.

Last time I heard they put hybrid power train in a research Hummer and get 15 or so mpg, may the next gen Hummer is a hybrid.

quote:

your information on the Escalade is WAY off. The new Escalades use the 6.2L Vortec, which is unrelated to the LS2 'vette motor although the power ratings are comparable. The estimated MPG is 13 city 19 highway AWD and 13 city 20 highway RWD. That's a combined average of 15 or 16, not 13, and is the best in its

They must have the same (cough-cough) EPA test guy that many of our membership has doing their highway mileage estimates with their larger SUVs. That Escalade has as much of a chance getting 19 or 20 mpg as I do of hitting the lottery. Both slim and fat at the same time. I'd say even hitting the "combined" is a crap shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back