Humitity Level On Dehumidifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you set your dehumidifier percent to? Mine is at 40, been sauna like here in MA for that last few weeks. Unfinished basement, few things down there.

Ours is set to 50% but it basically can only keep up with the humidity recently so it's kind of a moot point. If I set it to 40% it would still just run all the time. Worth it to keep the tools from rusting.

Typically as the outdoor temperature drops, the humidity falls as well. That means in the colder months, allow the dehumidifier to leave a bit more moisture in the air -- you'll be more comfortable.

Leave the one in my workshop/unfinished basement at "low" all the time. In our bedroom I keep one at 35 during the summer and 45 during the winter.

My allergist told me that at any point above 50% mildew can grow. I would rather be safe than sorry!

The challenge is to balance electrical use with natural cycles. Some of us live where the water table is quite high, and cold damp air from above stairs will sink to the basement regardless of the house design, age or location.

IMO the most important thing is the use of a fan to circulate air in the space. dehumidifiers only throw air so well, good mixing, especially if the basement has shelves, partitions or lots of stuff, is important.

You know, that is great advise. I never thought about putting a fan in the basement to help the dehumidifier. I'm going to try that out tonight1

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The challenge is to balance electrical use with natural cycles. Some of us live where the water table is quite high, and cold damp air from above stairs will sink to the basement regardless of the house design, age or location.

IMO the most important thing is the use of a fan to circulate air in the space. dehumidifiers only throw air so well, good mixing, especially if the basement has shelves, partitions or lots of stuff, is important.

I just set it on constant run given the current conditions and empty it as it fills. Normally, the rest of the year, I go with ~40%

45% here. I have it plumbed into the drainage system of the house so I don't have to worry about emptying it. It cycles reasonably considering I'm in an almost 100 year old house.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I run a box fan on low to help out. I find that in the summer an window AC unit in the basement works as well as a dehumidifier and you don't have to empty it. Nor does it heat up the place.

Last edited:
35% (lowest setting available), but it also runs on a four hour on, four hour off schedule. Otherwise, it would probably be running most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back