Humans can detect the Earth's magnetic field ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/can-humans-detect-magnetic-fields-180971760/

Apparently they can...a bit...but it's not uncommon in animals, e.g homing pigeons, which my recently passed uncle won many many medals ( the losers were tasty ).

Other studies indicate that either blindfolded people can count corners and inertial loads to be able to point at a starting point, or they can point to a starting point through a mechanism like being able to gain a sense of direction from the magnetic field.

The bit that I found (not from the article, but peripheral research) is that remaining nomadic peoples tend not to speak about "front back, left right", but directional orientation.

That's today's rabbit hole, for the potential for a 6th sense being extant

Nice link, Shannow. I believe that electronic technology has forced/enabled our brains to become less useful than they used to be in the past; the "use it or lose it" kind of thing. And then, just like "normal" science, when someone is able to do things or think about ideas at a much higher level than others, they are usually met with derision and disbelief. Doesn't mean it's not true!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I see magnetic poles...they want me to do things for them!

Whew, and to think I was the only one.

I've always had a very strong sense of cardinal directions, even at night, or in inclement weather. I've often wondered why other folks don't share it. Perhaps this is a partial explanation.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've always had a very strong sense of cardinal directions, even at night, or in inclement weather. I've often wondered why other folks don't share it. Perhaps this is a partial explanation.

Same here. If I get turned around (i.e. think east is north) it almost makes me ill.

It seems to me that in giving directions, men are much more likely to say "turn north on Oak Street", while women say "turn left on Oak Street".

Of course, it's pretty easy now just to whip out Google Maps, so people trying to give directions is just annoying now. Just gimme your address and I'll worry about how to get there.

Human health is positively affected by the earth's magnetic field. Over the millenia the gravitational field strength has shrunk and we don't get nearly the same benefit. But there are things humans can do to get as much as benefit from the "force" as possible. They even sell gravitational field (magnetic) "beds" to receive some of that restorative benefit. So it would make sense to me that "some" humans might have the ability to feel the earth's grav field.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Supposed to be little concentration of iron in our noses that might make us sensitive to this, I believe?

Left by our ancient alien ancestors no doubt.

I read it some long time ago, but I thought people like the nomad desert touareg berbers had a better sense of direction and something about extra ferrous magnetic particles found in their noses as an adaptation to desert living...

... I've always had a very strong sense of cardinal directions, even at night, or in inclement weather. ....

Likewise.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Human health is positively affected by the earth's magnetic field. Over the millenia the gravitational field strength has shrunk and we don't get nearly the same benefit. But there are things humans can do to get as much as benefit from the "force" as possible. They even sell gravitational field (magnetic) "beds" to receive some of that restorative benefit. So it would make sense to me that "some" humans might have the ability to feel the earth's grav field.

I've read this is because the magnetic field increases blood flow, and in most cases, increasing the blood flow is a good thing so our bodies can heal themselves.

Originally Posted by Win
... I've always had a very strong sense of cardinal directions, even at night, or in inclement weather. ....

Likewise.

I'd like to see you and Astro14 attempt a scientific experiment testing your abilities.
I have walked around in circles in snowstorms on a few ocassions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by Win

Likewise.

I'd like to see you and Astro14 attempt a scientific experiment testing your abilities.
I have walked around in circles in snowstorms on a few ocassions.

I would like to see the result of that as well.

Difficult to control all the variables, however.

It's not that I always "know" exactly, but my "gut feeling" on direction (which way is North, for example) is often correct even when I lack the usual cues (mountain ranges, sun angle and time of day, constellations visible).

Am I able to "feel" North?

I don't know, but this would be an explanation for my "sense" of direction...

Agreed Astro,
I can get in an office building and point North just about anywhere, or wake up in a car and know withing seconds. The former I put down to perception and corner counting.

Felt "giddy" over in the states when I knew where North was, but the sun was south of me, which lead me to think it wasn't purely visual clues

I used to have an infallible sense of direction from when I was a little child into my mid-twenties. My parents used me as a GPS all the time. I lost my sense of direction and am now about as disoriented as the next guy, Nobody could offer me a credible explanation for this loss of sense of orientation. And since this started only 15 years ago it can't be age-related cognitive dissonance.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Originally Posted by 69GTX

I've read this is because the magnetic field increases blood flow, and in most cases, increasing the blood flow is a good thing so our bodies can heal themselves.

I'd say more likely due to the amount of radiation shielding and food production (solar activities), and therefore food intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back