Hulu "The Dropout" about the Theranos fiasco

Wifey and I have been watching the Theranos series on Hulu. CEO Elizabeth Holmes was just sentenced to 11 years for fraud. The series was great, IMO. I think she is a sociopath. Of course the whole thing unfolded in the local media. I have the book, but haven't read it. I have to believe much was embellished, but the series filled in a lot of details. Highly recommended! So we took a spin to 1701 Page Mill Road, in Palo Alto. Here's Theranos HQ, of course the sign is removed. It is now a Stanford Lab building.
1669428972243.png

1669428991696.png

I watched the American Greed episode on this woman and her faux company, that was enough for me.
You couldn't make this up. And the way she fooled George Schultz, Henry Kissenger, General Powell, and so many more.
I say lock her up and throw away the key.

She was a very good talker, she was decent looking, had lots of $$$ partnerships / funding and her idea of building a much smaller chemistry analyzer named Edison that could do the same testing as large equipment was plausible due to advancements in technology. Look at a CRT TV from the 90’s and one inch thin TV of today….

She put people’s lives in jeopardy with false lab results and lying to authorities.

She earned all her time in prison and I don‘t fell sorry for her. Tech startups need to be very careful not to scam investors.

She really believed she was the next Steve Jobs and she had to fake it until Edison actually worked and could do what industry ‘gold standard’ Siemens chemistry analyzers could do.

Last edited:
George Schultz’s nephew called out parts of the fraudulent testing in public and to his Uncle.

He was fired.
I believe it was his grandson. He did a multi part podcast about his experience there. At the time of the podcast his grandfather, George Shultz, still hadn't forgiven him even though Holmes' fraud had become well known.

Scott

Last edited:
Wifey and I have been watching the Theranos series on Hulu. CEO Elizabeth Holmes was just sentenced to 11 years for fraud. The series was great, IMO. I think she is a sociopath. Of course the whole thing unfolded in the local media. I have the book, but haven't read it. I have to believe much was embellished, but the series filled in a lot of details. Highly recommended! So we took a spin to 1701 Page Mill Road, in Palo Alto. Here's Theranos HQ, of course the sign is removed. It is now a Stanford Lab building.
Absolutely, without question. Maybe even a borderline personality.

Scott

I believe it was his grandson. He did multi part podcast about his experience there. At the time of the podcast his grandfather, George Shultz, still hadn't forgiven him even though Holmes fraud had become well known.

Scott
You’re correct Scott. I lost all respect for George Schultz. He showed his true stripes.

And being male.
A male can't get pregnant like Holmes did in her attempt to skirt prison.

But I agree, we see how males and females are treated differently when committing crimes. Just look at the rogue school teachers who have sexual relations with underage students. The men are set free. The women go to prison.

Wait, did I get that backwards?

Scott

We watched "The Dropout" some time ago.
Awesome movie, true story, incredible that .... (I posted on some of this already and dont want to spoil it) Amazing story, great acting, just... well... amazing! Incredible!!!!!!
BTW if you dont have Hulu, you can sign up this Black Friday weekend for $1.99 a month @ one year subscription. Sale Ends 11/28/22

My opinion, she should have been immediately taken into custody and sent to prison…. not allowed to turn herself in next year. Like other women in prison she can give birth behind bars, no special treatment for her.

She will be in a minimum security facility on a military base and very easy sentence for her to serve. If prison is cold she can wear an Orange turtleneck while operating license plate machine.

Last edited:
Tyler Shultz (Geo Shultz' grandson) and Erika Cheung were key whistleblowers. George and his grandson never reconciled, but George did tell Tyler he did the right thing. The elder Shultz was responsible for bringing in other prominent people into the Theranos world.

In Silicon Valley, with all the ideas and seed MONEY, people are always looking for the next Apple, Jobs, whatever due to the risk reward possibilities. Ms. Holmes sure sucked in a lot of backers, both financial and influential.

I have to hand it to the younger Shultz and Ms. Cheung. Bravo!

Back