Huge Viscosity recommendation range, is that normal?

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread,

I looked through and couldn’t find this topic answered. One of our cars has a QR25DE engine, Nissan uses this engine in a lot of different countries and applications, in the US it calls for 0w20. I typically run 5w30 in this engine since it’s what I use in my truck and I like the simplicity of buying one grade for both vehicles, it’s also been spec’d as 5w30 in the past and I have no need for 0w since it rarely dips below +35°.

I’m thinking of switching the VQ40DE in the truck to M1 Euro 0w40 based on feedback on the frontier forums. I’d like to still buy one viscosity if I can. We’re in Scottsdale so our climate actually comes close to mirroring Dubai (118° temps commonly in the summer and rarely below 38°f) additionally this car does often get the italian tune up and extensive idling. Hopped onto Castrol’s website in UAE and got a recommendation for the same engine (X-Trail T31-2.5) of 20w50. That just seems nuts to me that an engine that runs 0w20 can also theoretically run that.

Based on the knowledge here, does that look like a misprint? Fwiw attached is a screen shot of the oil recommendation in the Thai manual for the same car gives these ranges, is there much of a chance these engines in these markets are developed to take these oils and NA is not?

Attachments

• 50F08246-8562-4EF2-94B6-3AD44C3C8B59.png
    50F08246-8562-4EF2-94B6-3AD44C3C8B59.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 169
  • A297A33A-F42E-43F2-A983-240E12125805.png
    A297A33A-F42E-43F2-A983-240E12125805.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 167
I looked through and couldn’t find this topic answered. One of our cars has a QR25DE engine, Nissan uses this engine in a lot of different countries and applications, in the US it calls for 0w20.
This has been discussed many times about the same engines used in other countries calling out a wide range of acceptable viscosities. There is no CAFE twisting arms in those other countries.

I typically run 5w30 in this engine since it’s what I use in my truck and I like the simplicity of buying one grade for both vehicles, it’s also been spec’d as 5w30 in the past and I have no need for 0w since it rarely dips below +35°.
Go for it ... 5W-30 will be fine since you aren't in Alaska.

For what its worth, M1 Euro 0w40 has a KV100 of 12.9 (iirc), meaning it is a thin w40 oil, almost in w30 ranges. Probably will not take long before it becomes a w30 in the sump. Great oil for naturally aspirated applications.

Recent VOA of M1 0w40 thanks to TiGeo.

For what its worth, M1 Euro 0w40 has a KV100 of 12.9 (iirc), meaning it is a thin w40 oil, almost in w30 ranges. Probably will not take long before it becomes a w30 in the sump. Great oil for naturally aspirated applications.

Recent VOA of M1 0w40 thanks to TiGeo.

Jackpot!

Hooray for a common sense oil chart based on temperature!

not a misprint.
Is there something in the new regulations that forbids these charts? I mean they’re still telling you to run 0w20 but they’re saying as a substitute if not available these are safe.

Is there something in the new regulations that forbids these charts? I mean they’re still telling you to run 0w20 but they’re saying as a substitute if not available these are safe.

IIRC, CAFE requirements mandate the spec'ing of the oil used for CAFE testing which is why the viscosity charts went by the wayside in North America.

IIRC, CAFE requirements mandate the spec'ing of the oil used for CAFE testing which is why the viscosity charts went by the wayside in North America.
Started like this ... note the date of the letter and all the requirements laid out.

Reactions: SR5
Ahh, gotcha a little bit of unintended legislative pain. Hopefully dealers and lube shops still have this information. I never see them turn people away, including the small ones so I figure they are probably aware of what can be substituted safely.

Hmmm, Thailand has always been a leader in mechanical engineering. I remember zooming around in their Tuk Tuks. The writers for Nissan also take into account local preference and tradition when they write custom manuals.

Not disputing CAFE regs but not convinced the Nissan engineers really wanted 20w50 in their engines.

Hmmm, Thailand has always been a leader in mechanical engineering. I remember zooming around in their Tuk Tuks. The writers for Nissan also take into account local preference and tradition when they write custom manuals.

Not disputing CAFE regs but not convinced the Nissan engineers really wanted 20w50 in their engines.
I think the Thai manual says 0w20 but 20w50 as suitable based on temp. The UAE seems to be big on the thick stuff. In fact on the Castrol UAE website it only says 20w50 as a recommended oil, kind of odd since it’s hard to find synthetic in that grade. Ohh well I really only need to run M1 Euro which is a light 0w-40 so no V-Twin oil for me just thought that number was pretty wild.

Absolutely normal, in fact i've never seen a manual that says to only use one viscosity or two. Here's what the charts look like for both my cars. I've owned more recent cars too and it was similar.

Attachments

• W124 1995.png
    W124 1995.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 60
  • W202 1998.JPG
    W202 1998.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 60
Absolutely normal, in fact i've never seen a manual that says to only use one viscosity or two.
A lot of modern OMs list only 1 or 2 viscoslities ... and the "optional" viscosity is for "towing and high speed use" or some words along those lines.

Absolutely normal, in fact i've never seen a manual that says to only use one viscosity or two. Here's what the charts look like for both my cars. I've owned more recent cars too and it was similar.
My 19 Jeep Cherokee only recommends synthetic 5W-30 and my 20 Ram 1500 only recommends 5W-20.

Back