Huge Viscosity recommendation range, is that normal?

Thai automobile technology.

View attachment 40749

They actually assemble a lot of automobiles in Thailand as well as manufacture parts and accessories for the automotive sector. If you ever go to Bangkok you will discover how many cars are on their streets resulting in massive gridlock.

The tuk tuk 🛺 or pedicab is still around but mass transit is becoming more popular.

They actually assemble a lot of automobiles in Thailand as well as manufacture parts and accessories for the automotive sector. If you ever go to Bangkok you will discover how many cars are on their streets resulting in massive gridlock.

The tuk tuk 🛺 or pedicab is still around but mass transit is becoming more popular.
Yup. Been there, done that. :D

OP, I have the exact same engine here in Australia, the Nissan QR25DE. My owners manual says I can run anything from 5W30 to 20W50.

Castrol Australia suggest either 5W30 or 10W30
Valvoline Australia suggest any of 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 or 15W40

None of them, Nissan, Castrol or Valvoline give a xW20 grade as an option. I hear these engines with their timing chains are hard on oils.

Right now I’m using Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 full synthetic which also carries the OEMs of MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01.

I also think a Euro 0W40 or 5W40 full synthetic, like M1, Edge or PP-Euro would be a great choice for this engine in almost any climate.

You may also be interested in a look at the Australian owners manual for the Toyota Camry Hybrid VVTI

You can use: 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 according to Toyota

You may also be interested in a look at the Australian owners manual for the Toyota Camry Hybrid VVTI
You can use: 0W16, 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 according to Toyota
Proof right there that engines are not "designed" to use a specific oil viscosity, as some people claim or are lead to believe by the CAFE hypnotist.

I’ve gone up a grade in a qr25de mostly out of convenience (5w30 instead of 0w20 and will be moving it to 0w40 once I get through my 5w30) practically had zero impact on fuel economy using a standard drive we do from AZ to CO using the odometer based method of fuel economy calculation. Right foot, engine braking, and judicious use of cruise control in my experience is going to have a much bigger impact than oil type.
Posted by the OP in another thread, so we all know the final result.

Absolutely normal, in fact i've never seen a manual that says to only use one viscosity or two. Here's what the charts look like for both my cars. I've owned more recent cars too and it was similar.
Exactly :)

Its American thing....that they have/feel """"""freedom"""""" to choose only between 0w20 or 5w20 :D

Last edited:
Posted by the OP in another thread, so we all know the final result.
Yeah will switch it to Mobil 1 euro. Probably not doing 20w50, not easy to find around me unless you’re looking for HDEO or Piston aircraft oil (which is surprisingly cheap). I already know, no need in this application 0w20 is fine I just like not having to buy two different bottles.

Back